Sony Insider Forums

Rate this topic

Hi again!

I just purchased this MZ-R2 unit off eBay and still waiting for it to be delivered later this week. Before it gets here I thought about doing some advanced research about it. 

Per seller, it displays the error message (see photo) when an MD is inserted. I think the seller is most likely just a reseller, who buys stuff from garage or estate sales, thrift stores, etc. an then resells them on eBay, Craigslist, etc., so they do not have a deeper knowledge about the unit.

I have read something that this model would read factory recorded artists minidiscs smoothly but it has issues playing or even loading any personal type recorded minidiscs.

Is it just a file format issue being an older model of player/recorder? Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Thank you.

MZ-R2 s-l1600 (1).jpg

The unit can read any SP (standard 292kbps) recording . Do you clean the lens ? Try also a new MD.

37 minutes ago, PhilippeC said:

The unit can read any SP (standard 292kbps) recording . Do you clean the lens ? Try also a new MD.

Thanks, Philippe.

I will try that when the unit arrives here.    

There are "cleaning MD discs" but any gentle & smooth use of a Q-tip with isopropilic alcool will do.

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2018 at 8:29 AM, PhilippeC said:

There are "cleaning MD discs" but any gentle & smooth use of a Q-tip with isopropilic alcool will do.

Hi Philippe!

I got the unit yesterday. It did play back a pre-recorded disc. But it cannot read/play any of my own discs with recorded tracks using SP (recording via optical connection). 

Plus, there are other issues - I had to press lightly on the cover for it to be able to play back a pre-recorded disc and the remote that came with has the metal part of the headset plug stuck so I cannot insert my own headset.