Using an MD deck as a DAC question

Rate this topic

bluecrab

I apologize in advance for asking this, but since the issue was raised elsewhere and I have reached the limit of my technical perception of it, I'd like to see an authoritative answer, if there's one out there.

To summarize: I am using my JA22ES as a DAC for my MDS-E10, using the E10 to playback LP2. Optical to optical. To me, this seems fairly straightforward and appropriate, as the 22ES's DAC is far better than the E10's. However, it was suggested to me that, "So in other words you are digitally reprocessing an already digitally reprocessed recording of ATRAC compression scheme. This might help an LP2 recorded disc possibly sound better. Not sure but you may hear some strange artifacts at times doing it this way."

There was further discussion that really didn't advance the issue. The further discussion included "in other words your DAC is seeing 2 times DSP and 2 times ATRAC compression."

What, if anything, am I missing? Is my perception that the signal received by the 22ES's DAC—or any other DAC external to the E10—the same as the signal that the E10's DAC would process, incorrect?

Thanks in advance.

This is rather original to connect TWO MD decks together but as you said, your LP2 MDs sounds better.

Personnaly, I would think that this is the time for you to buy a modern (24bit/192kHz is far enough) DAC with at least TWO digital S/PDIF entries : one coaxial, one toslink. There are a lot non-expensive DACs which do that. Something like that  the picture below (but you can find far betters DAC with a greater choice of inputs and outputs as you know). 

About your question, is there or not a double-DSP + Atrac compression in my configuration, I let others worthy technical members like Stephen to answer you.

s-l640.jpg

1 hour ago, PhilippeC said:

This is rather original to connect TWO MD decks together but as you said, your LP2 MDs sounds better.

Personnaly, I would think that this is the time for you to buy a modern (24bit/192kHz is far enough) DAC with at least TWO digital S/PDIF entries : one coaxial, one toslink. There are a lot non-expensive DACs which do that. Something like that  the picture below (but you can find far betters DAC with a greater choice of inputs and outputs as you know). 

About your question, is there or not a double-DSP + Atrac compression in my configuration, I let others worthy technical members like Stephen to answer you.

Philippe: I do have an excellent DAC (a Musical Fidelity V-90). For various reasons right now, I have the E-10 > JA22ES set up like that. The question, as you note, is really about the technical issue noted. Thanks for the suggestion!

IMHO - You are missing nothing (unless I misunderstood the question) - external DACs do not reprocess already processed material - they simply take the input stream of digits and convert it to analogue - this is how you have your JA22ES set up - and yes, it is a great DAC.