Sony Insider Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sfbp

Gracenote, M-Crew 32-bits

Rate this question

Question

Hello everyone, it is rare for me to start a topic but here goes. I was recently forced to retire the machine on which I ran M-Crew successfully, and edited all my sound files. It was a venerable XP machine that worked like a champ until one day the fan died. It's gone despite all attempts to revive it. I have since purchased a refurbished machineĀ  that will do everything I need, Windows 7/64, and it works perfectly.

EXCEPT for M-Crew. I have that running in a Windows XP virtual mode session, and it's inconvenient but it does work fine. However there are certain things that don't quite work in the virtual box.

My question is this: has anyone gotten M-Crew to work on Windows 7, 32-bits? I can put up a machine that does that, but it will be a fair amount of work if at the end of it, it refuses to run because some coding by Sony restricted in ways I can only guess (hint: the problem has to do with CDs and GraceNote). I know for sure that the PCLK driver will never work in 64 bits, but I still don't know if M-Crew is blocked somehow because it's too low-level, in later versions of Windows. This is definitely the case for Simple Burner, it absolutely fails on all later versions of Windows at least in my limited experience.

I would be so grateful to know this, because it would save me a bunch of time if I know it's still impossible. I found getting M-Crew going on virtual XP was an oddly unreliable process. Twice it told me that it couldn't install something from a remote session, then went right ahead and did it.

Your experiences and thoughts would be most welcome, indeed treasured.

Thanks

Stephen

4 answers to this question

Hello Stephen,

I know nothing about M-Crew but I saw your remarks about CD's and GraceNote.
A few days ago I tried to import some CD's into SS and I saw that GraceNote was called but no data was imported.
I tried CD Info on some albums where CD Info always returned data and now I get the message no track info found.
I tried to import CD's already in SS and GraceNote always could find the data for , but now nothing happens and I can see the logo of GraceNote but nothing is found.
I use SS on Windows 10 32-bits.
I think GraceNote cannot communicate with SS any longer.

Jan

That's truly weird. Almost like a certificate ran out. The interesting thing (to me) is that the Gracenote popup occurred in the usual way, so it's (probably?) connecting.

So far I have yet to find a counter-example (maybe another day!). ITunes absolutely depends on Gracenote (irony, since until a couple of years ago it was actually owned by Sony), so the possibility exists that the new owners (Nielsen) either knowingly or unknowingly jettisoned compatibility with any vendor who's not paying their fees.

We first need someone who is an iTunes user to verify that it's working with a "brand new" (to them) CD that's never been introduced to their iDevice. If not then probably just a glitch, or bad guys have taken the server out.

I do recall when the over-the-air EPG stopped working for TV. The numeric codes for every show used to be reproduced in the TV listings in the newspapers, and TiVO and many other products relied on that service, which was summarily withdrawn about 4 years ago IIRC. Maybe this is the same, though a quick check online doesn't indicate anything like that for Gracenote.

Of course - if Gracenote is gone, then so is my need for M-Crew on a real machine. Anyone have experience tweaking Apple devices to get the names out of iTunes?

Interesting: it looks as if Windows Media Player interacts with Gracenote just fine. It just found the CD I had tried to load in SS.

So where is the problem? Aha... finally got this error out of SS

Gracenote.jpg

hi all I have the same problem anyone found a fix yet I know I could rip cds with exact audio copy then import them into sonic stage but don't see why I should have to looks like the problem is with gracenote.

just thought I would give people an alternative.

if anyone wants a full guide for using Exact Audio Copy Then I Can Provide.

cheers,

Lrp55