Best sounding Minidisc portable?

Rate this topic

CyberTraveler

I really like the sound from the 2nd Gen (RH10,RH910) and apparently this may be because it's analog (!?). The problem with the RH1 is that it's very clear but the sound enhancement may have helped to fry my ears. Hence the EC's insistence on volume capping many are anxious to remove.

The player-only models EH930, EH50, EH70 are all good too.

The 1st generation Hi-MDs do it for me, particularly the NH700/NHF800 with custom EQ tweaked to perfection and paired with Sennheiser in-ears. Bought a load of NH700's a few years back when they were sold off dirt cheap, and not looked back since. Doubtless the higher end models can sound better, but I like the fact that you can pick up AA's for next to nothing here, and not worry about gumsticks or fancy batteries.

• 2 years later...

I have NH600, NH700, NH900 and RH910.

NH600 has to much middle frecvency,

NH700 is better only with custom EQ

NH900 is the best 1st generation Hi MD. Sound is balanced. Perfect with custom EQ. Strong volume, but still annoying compared with RH910 wich I thing is the best. It has a warm sound and no matter how loud you turn up the volume does not bother the ears. Of course I am not fun of listen of loud music, but this informations hope to help someday to someone.

23/5000

23/5000

• 8 months later...

A bit late but better than never I guess, I prefer the sound of the NH700 even if the RH1 is nice. Could be due to the NH700 using a analogue HP-amp instead of the HD digital amp in the RH1 and also the NH900 which I don't have anymore..

/Per

• 4 months later...

Many hours later I've changed my mind a bit, the RH1 wins and especially the way it handles bass - the rest (NH700, NH1, N10) are weaker in that regard IMHO.
It probably helps that the in-line output capacitors are larger in the RH1 (470uF vs 220uF for NH1) and with low impedance HPs that's a plus!

However, speaking of non-Sony MDs - just recently acquired a working Sharp MD-DR470 and the sound from that one is interesting and under evaluation ftm.

/Per