MZ-N1, Discs won't play past the 40min mark

Rate this topic

Hi Folks,

I recently dug out my old MD player, a MZ-N1, to listen to a pile of old recordings I made.   Everything seems to work great until I hit the 35-40min mark on playback, pretty consistently for each disc.   It just sits there trying to read (indefinitely, I think?)

I know I put the unit through a lot back in the day, but I was wondering if this is a known issue with any solutions?   I haven't looked into methods for cleaning it yet.
Any tips on where to start appreciated   (or if it's hopeless for this unit?).

You need to do an alignment. Self-alignment, in fact. All you need (for the MZ-N1 and other legacy i.e. non-Hi-MD units) is a virgin blank disk that doesn't mind being written to. It's called overall adjustment mode. Granted there may be mechanical error (friction, warp) but just as likely is everything simply aged.

A word of warning: do NOT try and adjust the USB (VBUS)  parameters. Generally they are hard to do and require tons of gear that you don't have specifically TWO regulated powersupplies, not just one.

Thanks for the reply, I do have a blank disc here.   Unfortunately for me, looking at the manual now, it seems I will need the remote-commander to do that 'self-alignment' in test mode? ---  which I may have misplaced.   I'll be digging through boxes for it...    Thanks again.

Service mode, not test mode. I don't remember, but there may be a difference. Test mode is (for decks, anyway, I don't recall portables) read only.

If you are mechanically minded you might want to open it up and check there isn't something (congealed grease for example) on the lead screw. That might be the stop that you are seeing.