Unplayable OMG files

Rate this topic

whynothot2

How do I play DRM protected OMG files?

I have a load of recordings of my own band, but didn't back then up thru SS, and now have a load of files I can't play.  The PC I used originally long since died.

I know that FFMPEG and VLC player are supposed to play OMA files, but what about OMG?  Don't seem to be able to recover these anywhere

The files were recorded with a Sony Hi-MD MZ-NH900.

The laptop I originally downloaded them to has died, but I have recovered the files.  All the recordings were originally downloaded from the Minidisc as OMG files.  

I have tried to play them on several computers, running XP thru Win7, with several versions of Sonic Stage,  but get the error 'Cannot load rights information for selected file'.  

I have tried OMG2OMA, but it says it doesn't work with Hi-MD tracks (which mine are), and doesn't work.  Just gives me a log file of failures.

So I have a lot of OMG files that I cannot play.  

Any help appreciated :mellow:

They should play just fine in VLC. I didn't know that files ending in ".omg" were ever made by recent versions of Sonic Stage (what version did you use?). Perhaps it is as simple as renaming them to ".oma"?

There are some files which are stored on the same hard disk you extracted the music files from. These files are the keys for the rights system as it pertains to the Windows install that died. I'm not sure they are any use to you, but you might want to hang on to that disk for a while yet.

You should, with some study, be able to batch-convert the music files using ffmpeg.

They don't play in VLC.  When I try to play the file in ffplay I get the error :

[oma @ 0000000000400600] Format oma detected only with low score of 1, misdetection possible!
[oma @ 0000000000400600] Couldn't find the EA3 header ! g:\testfile.omg: Invalid data found when processing input

The files were made by SS ver 2.0.06.16140

19 hours ago, sfbp said:

There are some files which are stored on the same hard disk you extracted the music files from. These files are the keys for the rights system as it pertains to the Windows install that died. I'm not sure they are any use to you, but you might want to hang on to that disk for a while yet.

What are the names of these files and where are they installed? I can still access a full backup of the disc and go thru the system files

Oh dear, SS V.2 I bet you have no chance. Should have exported them to WAV if they were original recordings (I know that's no comfort) whilst you still could.

My comments (and knowledge) apply only to later versions of SS, specifically V 4.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Sony Shared\OpenMG\OMGRIGHT and

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Sony Shared\OpenMG\procfile

The OMG/SS database stuff is at

C:\ProgramData\Sony Corporation\SonicStage

However the only time anyone ever reported doing something with these was copying the backup versions to the current ones. Those are kept somewhere else.

If you are really going to solve this, you will need to know all about EKBs. There's a paper somewhere. Each device type is a leaf on the Sony Btree, if I recall. But first you would have to figure out the conversion, and you likely cannot do that until after you decrypted something. Catch-22!

You'll need access to the source to ffmpeg (AVLib) and QHiMDTransfer.

If they are really valuable, try writing to Sony. If you have the original discs, then is a lot better.

Perhaps the best chance is to rebuild a copy of XP around the contents of your hard disk.

Hi, did you solve your problem?

As i see these OMG files may be protected. If so, there are one converetr that seems to trick it. (i'm not tested it, so if you have luck - let us know. Maybe Admins then put it to Download list there at forum. I Upload two apps one is DRM ATRAC.zip - Application name SoundTaxi the program will start convert immediately after you drag files to the software. (thats for protected ATRAC) i hope so.

Other is AnyToMp4_9.2.1.zip 

On AnyMP4 Audio Converter sreen, click on “Profile” drop-down. In the “General Audio” category choose “MP3 – MPEG Layer-3 Audio (*.mp3), or “WAV – Waveform Audio (*.wav)” as the output format. ress on “Convert” button to start converting OMA to MP3, WAV

Please tell us more about these executables. I think it's highly unlikely any of them is other than a wrapper around AVLib or FFMpeg (which is what VLC is). Cosmo, surely in this day and age you know better than to put links to random executables that might destroy people's computers.

TILT!

10 hours ago, sfbp said:

Please tell us more about these executables. I think it's highly unlikely any of them is other than a wrapper around AVLib or FFMpeg (which is what VLC is). Cosmo, surely in this day and age you know better than to put links to random executables that might destroy people's computers.

TILT!

i don't have protected OMG to test it out, so i do not know it is working or not. :-(  (maybe "whynothot2" can send me one of his OMG, so i can test)