Sony RM-MC33EL Backwards Compatibility

Rate this topic

gq1494

A big Hello to everyone! Yes, I am one of those who have recently jumped onto the nostalgia bandwagon and trying to relive my younger days by getting hold of gadgets that were cutting edge back then, but also one of those who were so short-sighted years ago and sold off or junked said gadgets for newer pieces of technology. I sold off my Sony MZ-R50 in 2006 and hopped onto the iPod train. 

Anyway, to the point of this topic ;

I've managed to score a very lightly used Sony MZ-R900 in excellent cosmetic and functionality condition for a very very low price. MD players have been getting REALLY expensive to buy lately, even second-hand and abused, not to mention NOS players. Now, while the R900 main unit itself works beautifully, the original RM-MC11EL remote that came in the box is another story. The LCD text is faded to the point where I can only read it at certain angles and lighting conditions. The backlight has gone AWOL, and the shirt clip on the remote has somehow broken off.

I'm in the market for a replacement remote but where I live (Singapore), all available options are going to cost me at least $100 USD for a similar RM-MC11EL. However, I found a few RM-MC33EL and RM-MC35ELK on a Chinese site going for around $20 USD a pop, second-hand, original Sony. 

So, the question I have is, will the RM-MC33EL be fully compatible with my R900 (backlight and all), or partially compatible (no backlight but funtions work etc), or not compatible at all? And for that matter the RM-MC35ELK as well. Or any other backlit remote models. Minidisc.org guide only says compatible with N-series and E-series, nothing regarding backwards compatibility with older machines.

Anyway, I appreciate any information anyone may have and thanks for reading through this lengthy post. Cheers!