What AA battery for n510 minidisc (NiCad or NiMh)

Rate this topic

Fathead

I have just got myself a Sony MZ n510 mini disc player but it didn't have a battery, I know its a AA Battery size but I have read to use the ac charger you need a nicad battery (the ones is came with are 700mah nicad) but then i read they also come with Nimh. Does anybody know which sort of battery it uses? I have loads of Nimh batteries (aa) but no Nicad ones. Can the player charge a Nimh or does it have to be Nicad, don't want the problem of over/under charging. I am using a separate charger at the moment to charge the battery but would like the ac charger to be used as well (when syncing to pc).

Any body have any ideas

You can use regular alkaline batteries (yes I know there is a cost involved, but for live recording it is strongly recommended not to rely on rechargeables).

You can use standard NiMH AA rechargeables, no need for NiCd, we have all forgotten about them long ago.

For USB transfers, on this generation you will get much better results if the unit is plugged into the mains. No power arrives at the unit via USB (I guess that means it's USB 1.0 or 1.1?). However this observation is not true for some later models, notably any HiMD unit.

I hope you are not about to be disappointed: there is NO sync-to-PC function. The only function available is sync-to-MD on these units.

Welcome to our site.

Thanks for the reply I have just bought a 1000mah NiCd battery but it was cheap but now you have said that i can use the NiMh ones i already have better mah on them.

I plan on plugging it in for the pc to md transfer and no not disappointed about no sync to pc, i meant on my first post  transferring from my pc, function as i want to put music on it and not take it off.

Thanks for the advice and welcome