Mini Disc here I come again

Rate this topic

iGlad

I had a  mini-disc back in the 90s a MZ-R30 which still plays and records like it was 1997. My budget Sony deck went belly up years ago. However I've recently bought 2 JB920 decks on Ebay for £100 each and oh boy the sound from these beauties just blew me away. The recording and function capabilities are amazing and they handled everything I threw at them.

I have my DAT deck a Tascam DA-20 Mk II linked up to it via co-axial cable. The DAT records my vinyl and the Philips CD-r via optical link well it records my CD's. I bought 2 one for my man cave upstairs and one for the living room downstairs (when wife is out shopping' visiting sisters, getting nails done etc) and also as cover in case one packs up ( fingers crossed). 

I picked up a MZ-R50 on Ebay for about £25.00 boxed with leads manual and soft bag and it looks brand new the sound is nice and crisp through my Sennheisser Urbanite headphones. 

I've been buying blanks discs mainly job lots and got some great Sony discs. I have some hi-space from the 90's which is remarkable as they still play without a problem. 

I've tried to test my ears with a recorded CD and the original CD and I just cannot tell the difference. 

I've got MD's I made in the 90.s and they play as sweet as anything however CR-Rs I burnt a few years ago won't play. 

It's not coming back despite being a great piece of audio tech but I will keep using it and making my own mixtapes.

• 3 months later...

Hey, don't knock the MZ-R30!

It's the very 1st MD I ever bought and made me a fan of MiniDiscs. I still like the sound it gives - brings back nice 90's memories!

The chargeable battery on it died many years ago and there was a period when I wasn't using it because of it. But then I found replacement batteries being sold on ebay and am still using it to this day.

Well worth the purchase.

• 3 weeks later...

At the moment I dont use my md  gear very much. I do have a number of decks 940's and a single 980. Out of interest I looked on Ebay what they go for and was  flabbergasted prices  ranging from  £270 to £500. Are these "sellers" chancers or are the prices  realistic. Any one here want to buy my low use 980 deck? Seems  like  the cost is  prohibative now for any one  wanting to return to  lost love?

• 2 weeks later...