Sony UK confirms WALKMAN NW-S200 Sports MP3 Player

Rate this question

spex

Question

27 answers to this question

yes, finally.

I used to own a Minidisc player with a remote control that had teh same form, an people were always asking ''WOOOW is that an mp3 player? It's so stylish.'' and I had to say that it was just the remote control.

But now there really is an mp player with this form factor. :)

way-to-go sony!

Again, the marketing morons/kanji police at Sony USA at work. Japan gets multiple colors, but not US? Maybe because those colored units can display kanji.

http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/audio/walkman/i...F&PCT=23842

Yeah, Sony USA must protect Americans from the evil of Kanji.

Again, the marketing morons/kanji police at Sony USA at work. Japan gets multiple colors, but not US? Maybe because those colored units can display kanji.

http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/audio/walkman/i...F&PCT=23842

Yeah, Sony USA must protect Americans from the evil of Kanji.

what's the point of this? dont they know there're LOTS of Chinese ppl in the States? Sony better start making universal ones, yea with the same worldwide radio frequency

Again, the marketing morons/kanji police at Sony USA at work. Japan gets multiple colors, but not US?

That salmon pink is a weird colour. :blink: Kerfuffle, you're "Strawberry-obsessed" what do you think of it ?

So it is not too upsetting that Australia is only getting black and/or silver.

Edited by bogon07

That salmon pink is a weird colour. :blink: Kerfuffle, you're "Strawberry-obsessed" what do you think of it ?

So it is not too upsetting that Australia is only getting black and/or silver.

*laughs* I like eating strawberry-related food, not strawberry-coloured electronics! :lol:

*squints* It doesn't look too bad . . . but the knob could be a lighter shade of silver. . . .I'd pick black over pink anyday, though. Black looks hot. And hides dirt. xD

No colour-coordinated earphones for the pink and silver ones in Japan? O.O And I thought you get those . . . *can't remember name* earphones that are like the MDR-EX81s, minus the silicon earbuds.

*laughs* I like eating strawberry-related food, not strawberry-coloured electronics! :lol:

*squints* It doesn't look too bad . . . but the knob could be a lighter shade of silver. . . .I'd pick black over pink anyday, though. Black looks hot. And hides dirt. xD

No colour-coordinated earphones for the pink and silver ones in Japan? O.O And I thought you get those . . . *can't remember name* earphones that are like the MDR-EX81s, minus the silicon earbuds.

Whoops, eating rather than colouring momentarily crossed my mind B)

I agree with you on the rest, the silver knob looks too dark. And you'd think Sony would have plenty colour-coordinated ear phones from their A1000 and other lines.

What features make these worth $100AUD more than the E003/5 series ? Surely not the Shake & Shuffle. :unsure:

Edited by bogon07

It seems that the 2GB model only comes in black. Only the 1GB variation seems to have a color choice. Obviously, we only have black in the US >< And even if we had the 1GB one it would probably just be the silver one.

Right now SonyStyle has the 2GB black model for pre-order for $150 with free shipping. I'm sort of tempted but the mention of the potential lack of kanji (unicode now on NW series so I think it should be fine) support has me hesitating just a little.

Seems like we have a 1GB model too..how did I miss it earlier ><

Edited by OCedHrt

Right now SonyStyle has the 2GB black model for pre-order for $150 with free shipping. I'm sort of tempted but the mention of the potential lack of kanji (unicode now on NW series so I think it should be fine) support has me hesitating just a little.

Seems like we have a 1GB model too..how did I miss it earlier ><

$150USD = $199.88AUD !!!!

Gee the US Sony style offer is much better than the Australian one, looks like we're expected to pay an extra $100AUD :huh: :

NWS205F SRP$299AUD - 2GB Black

NWS203FS/B SRP$249AUD - 1GB Silver or Black

Out of interest how much is the 1GB model in the US ?

US$119.95

Thanks Stuge.

$119US = $159AUD and Sony charge $249 that is a nice $90AUD profit.

Interestingly the new 2GB iPod Nano is $149 US (=$197AUD) and in Australia $219 AUD only a difference of $22AUD compared to the 2GB NWS205F @ $299AUD. And for $299AUD you can now get a 4GB iPod Nano. :o

That's a great way to kill whatever market or brand loyalty they had in Australia.

What's wrong with Sony don't they realise that we can compare overseas prices.

Thanks Stuge.

$119US = $159AUD and Sony charge $249 that is a nice $90AUD profit.

Interestingly the new 2GB iPod Nano is $149 US (=$197AUD) and in Australia $219 AUD only a difference of $22AUD compared to the 2GB NWS205F @ $299AUD. And for $299AUD you can now get a 4GB iPod Nano. :o

That's a great way to kill whatever market or brand loyalty they had in Australia.

What's wrong with Sony don't they realise that we can compare overseas prices.

well, first of all you can't just convert one currency into other other currency and compare that way, because the market is different. think about Japanese price, when you convert yen into dollar, then you can see Japanese price is higher also; this is due to market difference.

so, just comparing price by currency change does not correctly represent the company's strategy. after all each country's market is based on many factors and converting one currency into other currency in different country is not an accurate method to compare.

Edited by Zizone

well, first of all you can't just convert one currency into other other currency and compare that way, because the market is different. think about Japanese price, when you convert yen into dollar, then you can see Japanese price is higher also; this is due to market difference.

so, just comparing price by currency change does not correctly represent the company's strategy. after all each country's market is based on many factors and converting one currency into other currency in different country is not an accurate method to compare.

The marketers would like us to think we can't just compare but we can. They charge what they think the market will bear; often they are wrong. Sony should realise by now that we are all in a global economy.

I understand there maybe price differences between countries in real terms but anything more than 10-15% is ridiculous. Maybe they're just sacrificing the units to try and recover lost ground in the US. Actually the UK price of about 120GBP converts to around $299AUD.

Why would anyone expect an Australian consumer pay an extra $100AUD eg for an S205F costing $150USD (= $199.88AUD) in the USA ! When the gap become too great then it makes ordering from overseas very attractive. It certainly helps internet and e-bay businesses and Sony will never know how much is being imported by them.

Wouldn't the US market be affected if it was priced equivalent to the Aust price $220US instead of $150US ?

Edited by bogon07

Pricing also depends on taxes and import duties. Compared to some countries, US taxation on imported goods are quite relaxed, and this also applies to overseas companies trying to sell their products in the country.

Pricing also depends on taxes and import duties. Compared to some countries, US taxation on imported goods are quite relaxed, and this also applies to overseas companies trying to sell their products in the country.

exactly. above mentioned factors are few of many other factors. plus getting items on shelves thus cost more in other countries, including different labor fees. ofcouse it is not just electronics but all items, such as food which cost more in some countries than in US.

when you compare prices in diffent countries, it should not be done by converting currency alone, but these converted prices should be normalized also; however, normalizing itself is not an easy task.

Taxes, Import duties and transport costs aside.

The fact is Sony & Apple are both selling mp3 players in the US for $150US & $149US but in Australia they are $299AUD & $219AUD respectively which is a heck of a difference.

The Apple price looks like the US price converted plus our 10% GST rounded up from $217 to a regular price of $219.

Sony's pricing well who knows....maybe buyers keep away until they discount them down to a realistic level.

Edited by bogon07

To me, this is all a moot point. This looks like a really nice player but for one thing. HOW BADLY WILL YOU CRIPPLE THE VOLUME THIS TIME, SONY??

The Sony flash players aren't hackable and as such will be useless in Europe. Have fun working out when you can't hear you music over the gym stereo system. Enjoy your jog when you can't hear the music for the traffic driving by.

Portable amps aren't too practical for exercise.

To me, this is all a moot point. This looks like a really nice player but for one thing. HOW BADLY WILL YOU CRIPPLE THE VOLUME THIS TIME, SONY??

The Sony flash players aren't hackable and as such will be useless in Europe. Have fun working out when you can't hear you music over the gym stereo system. Enjoy your jog when you can't hear the music for the traffic driving by.

Well, that is due to EU regulation, so you can't really blame sony for it. Blame your government. Sony is just following the regulation to sell their players legally.

I think it will be dangerous if you jog and cannot hear your surroundings. If you're really concerned with outside noise, get canalphones instead since they block outside noise better than regular earbuds.

Portable amps aren't too practical for exercise.

what's your problem?,

the players are capped at 100db, prolonged exposure to sounds louder than 80dbs will damage your ears,

the cap only become as problem when you are using hard to drive full headphones, which is most likely not the case in the gym,