If you are getting C13 errors a lot when recording consider this

Rate this topic

iGlad

I have commented on here previously regarding errors thrown up by my beloved JB940QS, which started playing up so I sent it off for a service after explaining to them the problems however on return 2 out of 3 errors were still there despite them giving it a good overall service etc.

However I think I might know the reasons for the errors HEAT as I had it on top of my old NAD amp and below my CD recorder which I dubbed CD''s from. I noticed that the mini-discs were very very hot when ejected after recording. I then checked the bottom of the CD recorder and it was even hotter, so my poor 940 has been sat in between two audio ovens. I think the extra heat threw out the laser somehow and disrupted the recording process. 

I have now moved it well away from my amp and CD player and also fitted a new sturdier optical link and set the input to 2 on the 940 instead of 1 and low and behold not one error and it's been recording most of the day  from DAT coaxial and CD via optical link and not one error. 

I am not sure if this will be useful for many but it might save someone's mini-disc deck a trip to the repairman. So keep it well away from your amp and CD player and it'll be ok

I think it's fair to say that heat is generated when recording (recall what the process is, heating up bits of the MD to Curie point). However if you get heat during playback, something is wrong, most likely your machine needs adjusting and whoever you sent it to did not solve the problem.

One way to diagnose this is to run with the lid of the BD unit off and you may see a lot of vibration (side to side) of the optical pickup. Suffice it to say that this will eventually wear out the mechanism.

If your solution works and is only during recording then congrats. But amber light!

Kind regards

I don't think you have read my post correctly or I haven't explained it very well. Tthe extra heat was caused by having my machine sandwiched between my old amp (heat rising ) and a Cdr machine  ( the underneath got very very hot) which got incredibly hot. The errors occurred when I was recording so the machine gets hot and it's also getting extra heat form the amp and CDR bingo C13 error. I have since moved the JB940 so it sits above my JB920 and I have been using it without any errors since weekend.

I have bought a used Sony XE520 CD player with digital out so the old Cdr won't be needed. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 4:43 AM, sfbp said:

NOW I'VE MOVED Your post was quite clear, and so was mine.

IF it's getting THAT hot, expect problems down the road. C'est tout.

IT IS NOT GETTING HOT NOW AS I'VE MOVED IT AWAY FROM THE OTHER AUDIO ITEMS BUT AS YOU SAY THERE WILL BE PROBLEMS DOWN THE ROAD SO I'VE THROWN IT IN THE BIN.........................GOODBYE