ZS-M1 Boombox (1993) repair

Rate this question

Barry Ellis Brown

Question

4 answers to this question

Hello, this is a very very old system, as the codec for Minidisc is ATRAC 1. This means that very few recordings will sound good - making it a piece of mainly historical interest. For less than the cost of shipping this anywhere (never mind repairing it), you could probably buy a used machine from about 9 years later (the optimal period being around 2001-2002, your unit dates from 1993 just after the introduction of MD). You can probably find something with a USB connection built in (the CMT-M333NT or CMT-M373NT is highly recommended) or some other piece of enhanced functionality (Sony made many variations over the years).

If you are a collector and feel this piece is of historical interest, we can attempt to help you. The service manual is here:

https://elektrotanya.com/sony_zs-m1.pdf/download.html

(warning: it's 68MB, roughly 10x the size of most later manuals - Sony had not perfected the art of manual preparation in 1993).

Good luck

Thanks for reply, but although the zs m1 is old, I believe the unit uses the early mz1 portable  minidisc for recordings etc. I do have a early  mint mz1 player and the recordings are perfect, so I think you are wrong regarding quality sound. I am still looking for someone who could repair my zs m1 as I said earlier, the minidisc on the zs m1 does not work and although the screen lights up there are no graphics. I need an electronics genius to repair it. Any offers ? Thanks

As you can see from the previous thread to which I have merged your inquiry, your question has already been answered.

Further posting like this will be regarded as spam and you will be removed.

I have changed your login as it has an email address - we don't like publishing them. Neither should you. I have changed the title so that people can find it.