We are alive and well here, are we not?

Rate this topic

bluecrab

It started, apparently, in the following (https://www.reddit.com/r/minidisc/comments/f521um/a_new_community_wiki_minidiscxyz/) and was propagated manually to an MD F/b group, where it was asked of me: "Do you actually see the forum contents? The CSS and database don't load, on multiple IPs and multiple web browsers." Though I've had no issues myself on this computer, I did indeed have a problem myself from another IP address. I am going to check the other IP right now...yup, still not accessing. But fine right here.

I made it! There's no salt here, the site is broken when not logged in. Getting an account made required messing with some URLs and following a lot of error'd out links. If you're not already signed in, the site is entirely broken. I would advise that Admins dig in phpMyAdmin before slandering good-natured MiniDisc fans ;)

It's getting error EX145 (database issue), same as this example: https://lavag.org/topic/19934-error-accessing-site-when-not-logged-in/

4 hours ago, sfbp said:

Fixed

Sorry about that.

All good; I'm glad you've got the site back to where it should be.

Your profile says Vancouver - if that's BC rather than WA, I'm in North Burnaby so if you wanted to grab a beer or a burger on me, feel free to be in touch and we can discuss retro tech or just make sure water is under the bridge.

5 hours ago, SpecialK_xyz said:

All good; I'm glad you've got the site back to where it should be.

Your profile says Vancouver - if that's BC rather than WA, I'm in North Burnaby so if you wanted to grab a beer or a burger on me, feel free to be in touch and we can discuss retro tech or just make sure water is under the bridge.

Sounds good. I was just in the middle of composing a message commenting on your proximity - which never got sent because Chris got my message and did his thing with updates at the precise moment I pressed "Submit Reply". I take no credit for the fixes but I have a hunch that ultimately the set of security changes that browsers are going through (and sites like this one) are driving the migration (there have been a lot of update notifications from Invision lately) of sites.

TBH I'm always a little wary when someone unfamiliar happens along and tells me the world is round (when I know it's flat) - or vice-versa. Thanks for persisting with this, and I look forward to sharing stories.

Stephen

PS there is no sign that Eric Woudenberg has "given up" on the minidisc.org site - there just isn't that much more to add these days.

3 hours ago, sfbp said:

Sounds good. I was just in the middle of composing a message commenting on your proximity - which never got sent because Chris got my message and did his thing with updates at the precise moment I pressed "Submit Reply". I take no credit for the fixes but I have a hunch that ultimately the set of security changes that browsers are going through (and sites like this one) are driving the migration (there have been a lot of update notifications from Invision lately) of sites.

TBH I'm always a little wary when someone unfamiliar happens along and tells me the world is round (when I know it's flat) - or vice-versa. Thanks for persisting with this, and I look forward to sharing stories.

Stephen

PS there is no sign that Eric Woudenberg has "given up" on the minidisc.org site - there just isn't that much more to add these days.

We all owe Eric more gratitude than I can express here. If he ever wanted anyone to cover his costs for domain and keeping the site up for 20+ years, I'll be the first to volunteer. 

But sadly a lot of the external links (reviews, 3rd party articles, etc) are dropping off the web, through no fault of Eric's. Things will only get worse as time goes on - not every webmaster is as reliable as Eric is. 

What does make me want to update the compendium mostly is the new trend of professional releases (in the *wave genres) which are bringing lots of new interest and collectors. 

About 15 months ago, Eric W. stated explicitly, "I have no plans to retire this site" (minidisc.org). But that was the last I heard. Now, what is all this about burgers in Vancouver!? You guys need a visit to Boston, where the burgers are good, the seafood even better, and best of all—in range for me. Oh well, if you're ever nearby, LMK. :-) Good to see the issues resolved.

12th April 2020

To my surprise I was able to edit a post. Those of you who have the rights, please think VERY CAREFULLY before doing so yourselves.

The situation is that I haven't heard a word back from the site's owner, Christopher. Except that the site mysteriously came back to (read-only) life more than once after completely crashing where it won't display anything except an error.

It's still not possible to add any replies or start new topics (actually a topic will start and the heading is made but the content is always thrown away).

Until he comes back from wherever and does something, we are stuck.

The good news is, the site still works for downloads and reading any existing content.

Happy Easter, y'all!

sfbp

• sfbp pinned and featured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Has something happened to the forum (or my profile)? I don't seem to have the option to reply to many threads any more and only some posts have the option for me to "like" them. e.g. in this thread I can "like" the posts by bluecrab and freddyjollo above but not those by sfbp and kgallen.

I seem to be able to reply to this thread but not the one about the BBC article Kevin started in the News section (there are many others I cannot reply to either).

So you have! Maybe that protects you from me replying to or liking your posts ;-)

I think it's because you are a Moderator? If you hover your cursor over the shield it says "kgallen is a moderator".

I noticed Christopher had posted a "test" message in the Announcements forum so maybe something has been upgraded. I think things look a little different this morning. Although that could be my failing memory playing tricks on me...

42 minutes ago, BearBoy said:

I think it's because you are a Moderator? If you hover your cursor over the shield it says "kgallen is a moderator".

Stephen put me on some list to be able to delete spam. I don't think I'm a fully fledged Admin type (I'm still "Members") - that would be dangerous, I don't know what I'm doing on these forum things. But it would explain why no-one likes me :-(  :-D

Hi Christopher. I think I've worked out the issue with me being able to reply to threads. It's just threads in the Announcements and News sub-forums I cannot reply to and I suspect that might be by design rather than any sort of fault.

I seem to have lost the ability to "like" any posts made by moderators/administrators but the option is still there for posts by normal members.

Like the new look and many thanks for keeping this place running!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • Christopher unpinned this topic
  • 5 months later...

Anyone else having issues with the site since its latest resurrection?

On my PC (Windows 10) I can, once bypassing all the security warnings about the certificate expiry, access the site okay using Edge but with Chrome I get:

This site can’t be reached

The web page at https://forums.sonyinsider.com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

ERR_FAILED

On one of my phones (iPhone 12 using Safari) I can, once bypassing all the security warnings about the certificate expiry, access the site okay but on my other phone (iPhone XR using safari) I get:

Safari cannot open the page.

The error was:

"FetchEvent.respondWith received an error: TypeError: Load failed".

Access via this phone has been working on and off since the site came back up but has been "off" for about 3 days now.

Anyone else experienced anything similar? Any suggestions (I'd rather be using Chrome on my PC and the iPhone XR as the iPhone 12 is my work phone).

Chrome on my iPhone SE has worked for read most of the time the site has worked at all. Now it’s working ‘ok’.

Chrome on PC doesn’t want to know, so I installed Firefox and that’s ok once the certificate expiry is bypassed.

If only we could get the certificate updated I think we’d be properly back up and running…

• 4 months later...