Windows 10 stopped recognizing my HI-MD minidisc player

Rate this topic

macdent

I last recorded a track on my minidisc player/recorder MZ-RH910 on February 20.  I transferred it to the computer in SonicStage immediately with no problem.  I tried to import a recording into SonicStage yesterday and now the computer doesn't recognize the MD anymore.  When connected to the computer, the MD would show an icon verifying the connection.  Now the screen is blank.  I've tried it on my main computer, my laptop and another at my office.  Did the latest Windows update break something?

That rather depends on the disc you had inserted.

Do you have any fresh ones?

Is the "Disc mode" of the RH910 set to MD or HiMD?

We need to know a bit more about your PC and the version of Windows, and specifically what happened that might have broken something. I'm thinking hardware failure, but the only way to check that is if you have another HiMD unit.

I have 3 minidisc players/recorders.  Now none of them are recognized by my desktop or laptop computers, no matter what type of discs I insert.  I also tried them in my office computer with the same result.  I have one stand-alone computer I haven't tried yet that is running Windows XP.  I just feel that the latest WIndows 10 update since 2-20-20 changed something in the USB settings so the units are no longer recognized.

Screen capture with computer specs attached.  But it happens on 3 machines of different ages and types.

Thanks.

Computer specs.jpg

sadly, you cannot uninstall feature updates

thanks for the warning

so far, every time MSFT comes out with an '09 update (September, that is) it breaks something major (the '03 versions seem much better as they fix the bugs in the previous fall's new features). But don't panic yet.

Probably you have to REINSTALL the NetMD drivers (using the override of unsigned drivers). Hopefully it's nothing more than the failure to preserve unsigned drivers going forward to the next "edition" ('last windows ever'!?!?!) of Windows 10.

So here is an update.  And I think it's weird.

I have a laptop that i tried to use to correct the problem.  Though I downloaded the recommended files for SonicStage and installed everything, when I connect the MiniDisc recorder to the computer, it is not recognized.

I also have an older desktop computer that has been sitting idle and unplugged for a few months.  I hooked it up, made sure that it was disconnected from the internet, and tried to access the MiniDisc.  Still failed.

I have about 5 unopened HI-MD player/recorders that I ordered a few years back right before they were no longer available.  I opened one and connected to the older PC.  Eureka! It connected, and the small icons on the player showed that it was, in fact, connected.  I started SonicStage (Version 3.4) and all the proper data came up.  But in the Transfer window, no MiniDIsc player was listed.  All I want to do is transfer files to the PC for editing and saving.  The recorder wasn't visible to the PC.

I unplugged it and started over.  Now I no longer get any of the connection icons on the player/recorder.  And that is the case on all 3 of my computers.

The older PC has the older programs and drivers.  It recognized the player for a few minutes, then nothing.

Every hear anything like this?  Any suggestions?

First things first. Is that a typo or are you really using 3.4 Sonic Stage? NOT recommended

Since your Windows is 64-bit then you MUST uninstall all NetMD drivers except the NETMD760.SYS. This process is detailed elsewhere but you have to be careful to find the files in windows\inf which is a hidden (invisible) directory.

It's entirely expected that a bare HiMD machine might show up, but only in HiMD mode. For NetMD mode, the subsystem will basically crash unless you get the (unsigned) driver NETMD760.SYS installed. This will only happen if you get a prompt asking if it's ok to ignore the hash/signature mismatch. If you only get the prompt in your earlier post, you must go back and disable signature enforcement for long enough to get the driver going.

Looks to me like standard stuff still.

The weird part for me is that the older PC has been off for about 2 months, not connected to anything, so it hasn't received any WIndows 10 updates.  I last used it for transferring live recordings to the PC  successfully in December.  That one should work but doesn't work with any of the recorders.  When I turned it on, I made sure that it was not connected to the internet to avoid any pesky updates.

And I'm sorry, I made a mistake.  The version I'm using is, in fact, 4.3.

If you never followed the procedure for removing "old" NetMD drivers then the problem is likely to be that the recorder gets stuck in NetMD mode with the wrong driver. As long as you have the machine set its "disc mode" to HiMD you may get away without noticing this. As you have been transferring FROM minidisc to PC, this seems likely.

All MD recorders are not alike. The MZ-RH1 is absolutely a special case. It works badly if at all with the old drivers installed, and is the only one allowing transfer of legacy (NetMD) data to the PC, whereas in HiMD mode all units should permit this. Statements about "all MD recorders" are then looked on with some suspicion. That, and the fact that each unit looks to be two machines (Jekyll and Hyde if you will), one a NetMD and one a HiMD. You should hear noises when it switches from one to the other due to the disconnection and connection of a USB port.

My mistake was not to ask you for full details - if you have multiple recorders then multiple outcomes exist.

What about the USB cable? Do you have exactly one for all those machines?

Nothing for it but to follow carefully the instructions in the post

Before then-applying the NETMD760 update from our downloads section. You can certainly start by setting the DISC MODE (on the unit) to HiMD but really that will only mask the problem