MDS-JA3ES acting erratically

Rate this topic

Hello

First the recording went. It would record, but would not playback (usual stuff, stuck on the 1st second and when ejecting disc it would appear as blank)

Then playback went. I switched on pressing AMS and got in the test menu but cannot change the LDPWR setting.

Do I throw it away? Any ideas? I understand this is fairly typical of the 3ES

Thank you

Dimitri

1 hour ago, kgallen said:

Unplug.

Open up.

Remove and reinsert all ribbon cables both ends.

That seems to be the recipe that's saving all our machines recently!

HAve you tried a fibre glass pen on the ribbon cable?

Not sure if the ribbon cables have metal exposed or not

Have you got/are you using a laser power meter? Asking in the nicest possible way, do you know why and how much you're changing the laser power or are you just fiddling? Increasing the laser power arbitrarily is unlikely to improve the situation and it's very easy to burn it out by increasing the current too far.

Will it play other known good discs?

Taking a sacrificial good disc, does the disc appear to get blanked by trying to record on it? This would imply overwrite head not laser.

I do not have a LPM. I was going to try it but seems I cannot get it to save the change.

It plays discs every so often, no particular reason, no specific disc. No pattern that I can make out. Recording is off.

No disc was blanked, and I erased a couple which seems to confirm the OWH is working, right?

2 minutes ago, DimitriLee said:

It plays discs every so often, no particular reason, no specific disc. No pattern that I can make out. Recording is off.

Just to clarify "play": this means reads the TOC and can play the music. Do you have scenarios where it will read the TOC but not play music?

2 minutes ago, DimitriLee said:

No disc was blanked, and I erased a couple which seems to confirm the OWH is working, right?

Can you title a disc (disc or track) reliably - as in write it, eject the disc then reinsert and the machine can read the TOC and title?

Some times it plays the disc (music coming out ok), some times it does not. If it reads the TOC it goes on to play the music. When it fails it comes back as disc error. I can delete/erase disc with 100% success. When I record and title tracks, when trying to playback it will get stuck on 01 or 02 seconds. If I eject the disc and reinsert it, it reads it as blank.

I switched on pressing AMS and got in the test menu but cannot change the LDPWR setting.

I cant seem to up the LDPWR, I can change it using YES but cannot SAVE the change. Strange.

p26 $4-6 details LDPWR adjust. One or two clicks up of the tenths. Remember where you started. DONT look into the machine.

Not strange, normal, there is a MDM-2 inside this unit guys. So laser power is manually adjusted with a potentiometer (RV) on the BD board, no chance to adjust it with the service menu.

If the lens is already cleaned (first basic thing to do), simply make this test : Power off/on the unit. Put your JA3ES on the side. Insert a well-working recorded MD and play it.

If the readability is clearly better (quick track access, no OPU bizarre noises, no dropouts on music), great you win a worn-out KMS-210A OPU classic symptom. Search the web.

19 hours ago, DimitriLee said:

Some times it plays the disc (music coming out ok)

That will not tell you if the disc a well played in back-end.

Go into service mode and do a CPLAY mode test (IN, MID and OUT) with a full well-working recorded MD, it will give you live C1 error value between 0 and 7350.

Observe values for 10 seconds in the 3 zones/areas (INSIDE, MIDDLE and OUTSIDE) and made an average.

Now power off/on the unit and do the same thing with your JA3ES on the side.

Same, observe values for 10 seconds and made an average.

With the comparison, deduce.

Edited by jonathanpotato
Precisions
  • Like 1