The Web MiniDisc Application

Rate this topic

cybercase

@asivery has just posted a whole host of updates for Web MiniDisc Pro over on the r/minidisc Reddit, including Hi-MD support:

Web MiniDisc Update: HiMD support, Remote NetMD, HiMD exploit support and bugfixes

Hello!

It took quite a while, but after 6 months I'm very happy to announce a new version of Web MiniDisc Pro - v1.4.0.

Among other bugfixes, this version brings:

• Full HiMD support (Unlike software like QHiMDTransfer or PlatinumMD which can only write MP3s, Web MiniDisc can also write PCM, ATRAC3 and ATRAC3+)

• UI improvements

• (Hopefully) the fix for L/R channel mismatch bug*

• The ability to download ATRAC data from standard MDs using HiMD portables

• Uploading AEA files back to MDs using Type-S portables

• Tetris on normal Sony Type-S portables

• Remote NetMD

• Homebrew mode shortcuts in the main UI

• Progress indicator in tab title for uploading

• An option to archive discs as ZIPs

• An option to auto-convert ripped tracks to WAV

• An option to strip TrProtect from all files via the homebrew mode

• CSV export as part of the archive disc command

• Full width title to the upload progress dialog

• A warning for when a mediocre encoder is used

• A dialog containing all settings of Web MiniDisc Pro in one place

*Because the MD TOC is still not 100% understood, some bugs might still occur, even after the extensive testing done by me and a few volunteers. If you do encounter this bug, or any other bug related to ATRAC download, please enable Download raw streams from netmd-exploits, then send me the .NERAW file. Thank you.

HiMD support

This is also the first version with HiMD support - there might be bugs. Do not use it with your most treasured discs.

There are 2 HiMD modes:

• The restricted mode lets you download audio from MDs and edit track metadata (names, order, etc..) It also allows you to transfer MP3 files to the discs, but it shouldn't be used for that if the unrestricted mode is available, because it causes a lot more wear on devices when writing audio. It doesn't let you write ATRAC3 / ATRAC3+ or PCM audio.

• The unrestricted mode lets you do everything the restricted mode does, but also lets you transfer MP3s, ATRAC3, ATRAC3plus and PCM tracks onto HiMD discs without wearing them out. Unfortunately, because of the WebUSB standard's restrictions, it has to be accessed using exploits, so it's limited to Sony HiMD portables only, but with this version's release, ElectronWMD is also getting an update with full, exploit-free support for HiMD.

To access a HiMD device in restricted mode, you need to:

1. Connect the HiMD device to the computer with a HiMD disc inserted.

2. Select the root directory of that device in the appropriate dialog (f.ex. E:\ on Windows, /media/user/disc on Linux, /Volumes/disc on MacOS).

3. Done. You can now edit the track names and download audio from the HiMD disc.

To access a HiMD device in unrestricted mode, you need to:

1. Connect the HiMD device to the computer, while it's in MD mode (either with a regular MD inside, which has at least one track, or just set to MD disc mode and without a disc)

2. Connect it to WebMinidisc, as you would do if you wanted to use normal NetMD mode.

3. Open the '3 dots' menu, select settings, then 'enable homebrew mode shortcuts', then close the settings (this step needs to be done only once)

4. Open the '3 dots' menu, select homebrew shortcuts, then 'Switch to HiMD unrestricted mode'*

5. At this point, you'll see Web MiniDisc's loading screen, then a 'Loaded.' dialog will appear. After closing the dialog you'll be put back at the 'connect' screen. --- At this point the exploit is already loaded onto the device and it will stay loaded until the device goes to sleep, unplugging the USB cable will not erase the exploit ---

6. Insert a HiMD disc (either a HiMD formatted MD with at least one track, or a blank one with the device set to HiMD mode)

7. (Windows only) Install Zadig again for this new HiMD device. It should have 0x5341 as the VID.

8. (Linux only) Add a udev rule for the new device: SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="5341", ATTR{idProduct}=="5256", MODE:="0666"

9. Click the downwards-pointing arrow next to the connect button, then select HiMD (Unrestricted). A WebUSB dialog will appear. Select your device, then wait. Make sure the device is called "HiMD", and not "NetMD/HiMD". You might need to wait a few seconds for the "HiMD" device to appear.

10. Done. You can now upload AT3/3+/PCM/MP3 audio

*If the 'Switch to HiMD unrestricted mode' is greyed out, it means your device isn't supported yet and you'll need to download its firmware and send it to me, so that it can be reverse engineered. To download the firmware, click on 'Enter Homebrew Mode' in the same menu, then once the homebrew mode loads, open the menu again and select "Read Firmware". It might take a while.

Huge thanks to the linux-minidisc project, and M Karcher over at the MiniDisc.wiki Discord server - it wouldn't be possible without him!

Remote NetMD

Remote NetMD lets you set up a NetMD server on, for example, a Raspberry Pi connected to a NetMD-capable deck. It's then possible to remotely control that deck with any device on the same network with the help of Web MiniDisc Pro. The program will automatically detect it when a device disconnects and connects again, so it can be left running unattended. To get it working, you need to:

1. Define the correct udev rules on the Pi, so that the node application can access your device.

2. Clone https://github.com/asivery/remote-netmd-server

3. Run a script to generate the HTTPS self-signed certificates: bash createhttpskeys.sh

4. Install the dependencies with npm i

5. Run node index.js

6. Visit the page hosted at https://<your pi's IP address>:11396/, and acknowledge the security risk

7. Add it in Web MiniDisc Pro, by clicking the 'Add Custom Device' in the connect screen's dropdown. Then, after filling in the address and the name you want to see the server displayed as in Web MiniDisc Pro, you can select your device from the connect screen's dropdown and connect to it.

As always, if you find any bugs, please report them over at https://github.com/asivery/webminidisc/issues or on the MiniDisc.wiki Discord server.

Link: 

Hello everyone and, first of all, thanks a lot for the amazing Web Minidisc and for resurrecting the format. It's a shame that Sony killed it, it makes me very sad.

I have a query. I have a Sony MZ-NH1 HiMD on which I can record in SP format from Web Minidisc without any problem, but when I go to play it on my Sony DHC-MD373 deck, it recognizes the disc, tracks and titles, but does not play any sound.

Do you know how to fix it, is it a bug? 

Thank you very much in advance.