Sony Insider Forums
cybercase

The Web MiniDisc Application

Rate this topic

16 hours ago, blixabloxa said:

Hi All,

Thanks Stefano for this great web application. I got it working on Windows and Ubuntu without issues.

I just got an MDS JE780, and was hoping this would work with it - but no luck so far. I am hoping Fabrickator and others can work it out.

I did get NEtMD connectivity working with Sonic Stage on Windows XP in a virtual machine - after a few problems with drivers, but fixed with information from an old post by sfbp - Thanks!

Could the use of USB sniffers be useful in seeing what is happening between the minidisc deck and Sonic Stage (samples linked below after quick Google search)? I am not an expert, but I am happy to help out if I can with getting traces for others to investigate.

https://desowin.org/usbpcap/ and https://freeusbanalyzer.com/

Cheers,

Enzo

Hello Enzo, happy you liked the app.

The idea of using a virtual machine to run sonic stage and then using a USB sniffer is exactly what I've discussed with @Fabrickator (who owns a JB980) .

On the paper, it could work. Then, once we've the communication logs we can try to fix the command-packets in the web minidisc app and see if it works.

Hi All,

I just played around a bit with some UBS sniffer software with my JE780 and Sonicstage, and the results are attached. Not sure if this will help, but you never know. Hopefully someone can understand it. I am assuming the USB construct will be the same or very similar to the JB980, as the devices are very similar.

The steps I took were: connect the deck with a USB cable, start the capture program (usblyzer), press the NetMD button on the deck, open Sonicstage, choose NetMD menu option, play a song, skip through a few songs via Sonicstage, stop the playback, quit Sonicstage, and finally stop the capture.

Hope this helps. let me know if you want me to try something else or get more traces. I'll see if I can do more.

Enzo

USB Driver Details.txt Net MD USB Trace.txt

No you're not alone! I too would welcome mono - I still collect 78s, among other things.

Unlike making a Hi-MD version, I would have thought a Mono upload version shouldn't involve too much work? 

Sadly, I'm not sure that ffmpeg and the QHiMDXfer libraries ever dealt with Mono as a format (:

7 hours ago, zzzuppp said:

No you're not alone! I too would welcome mono - I still collect 78s, among other things.

Unlike making a Hi-MD version, I would have thought a Mono upload version shouldn't involve too much work? 

I'll file it into the users' requests. I vaguely remember that SP mono should be supported by the NetMD protocol.

Hi- just about to dig out my JB980 QS model. Will this work with Windows 10 and the app? If you want, happy to do any diags/log files to help work if not..

Hi Kris. The app doesn’t currently work with the MDS-JB980.

Stefano’s looking into it with some help from Fabrickator so there’s a chance he’ll be able to get it working. 

On 5/16/2020 at 10:43 PM, Stachu said:

Hi @adamkkk

I just installed the QHiMDTransfer (thanks for the hint!) on Mac and I couldn't manage to transfer any music files to HiMD (MZ-RH1). I'm a total rookie to this software and a question drains my curiosity: is it possible to transfer/convert any other audio file (eg. WAV, MP3) formats to any of HiMD formats there?

Greetings

Stan

Hi @sfbp,

When I bought the MZ-RH1 the only digital upload possible was the files recorded by yourself with a mic. Others should be blocked for music rights. Yet, as HiMD disc is a storage unit, like any USB key, you can even put text or PowerPoint files on the disc. For that you do not need any software, just your Mac will recognise HiMD as an external USB key or CD-ROM.

Best,

8 hours ago, adamkkk said:

Hi @sfbp,

When I bought the MZ-RH1 the only digital upload possible was the files recorded by yourself with a mic. Others should be blocked for music rights. Yet, as HiMD disc is a storage unit, like any USB key, you can even put text or PowerPoint files on the disc. For that you do not need any software, just your Mac will recognise HiMD as an external USB key or CD-ROM.

Best,

I think you must be confusing me with someone else. In any event, I don't see how this answers Stachu's question.

Hi Stefano - great work on the app.  I was seriously thinking about selling on my NetMD recorder as it is the least favorite of my portables and its NetMD functionality hasn't been used in the best part of a decade.  Glad I hung onto it now!

I've had partial success on various devices / Operating Systems with the app:

Ubuntu - couldn't get it to work as I couldn't for the life of me work out what I was meant to do with the files on Github guidance: https://github.com/cybercase/webminidisc which give me user access to the device. If anyone can enlighten me on what I'm meant to be doing I'd be grateful as ideally Ubuntu would be my first choice.

Windows 10 - borrowed my daughter's Windows 10 laptop and it worked although did get some errors when transferring files.

Android - I can connect and edit track names using my mobile phone running Android 10 but when I try to transfer tracks I get a 'unable to complete previous operation due to low memory' message.  Tried it on a Fire HD8 tablet as well but that couldn't even see the minidisc recorder - think this is to do with the Fire HD's support (or lack of it) for the OTG cable. 

So happy I can edit track names etc but would love to get file transfer working on either Ubuntu or Android.  Any advice gratefully received.                

FYI I'm using a Sony MZ-N510 NetMD recorder.     

Cheers 

For NetMD you MUST have wall power to write properly.

If that's not your problem, please holler.

Ah. ok thanks I wasn't aware of that.  No doubt that will explain the write issues I was having with Windows 10.  Not helped with Ubuntu or Android though.  I'll keep trying... 

Now got it working on Android - there was an issue with my mobile which has now been resolved.  Think I will quit whilst I'm ahead!  Thanks for the help and for the great app.

I am still on my way to read all topics I have postponed since last november and about this one, I am still on page 3.

I come directly to the end to tell Stefano that in Italy there is Sergio Scotto who has his own Minidisc web site here 

https://sites.google.com/site/crazyforminidisc/

As Sergio get a huge collection of portable units, including NetMD and HiMD ones, that would be interesting for Stefano to contact Sergio for more units testing. 

http://forums.sonyinsider.com/profile/118374-sescoscuba/

I just have to say thank you to @cybercase for making this awesome app available to the minidisc users of the world!! I have just tried it with my MZ-N520 on my iMac ruining OSX 10.13.6. (the iMac is a 2010, so it't can't be upgraded further). Converted from mp3, but got an error when I tried to convert apple lossless. Anyway, I love the fact that minidisc as a format still thrive and that you found the time to make the app happen Stefano:)

Best wishes from Amund

Stefano when I connect to my windows 10 partition on my MacBook pro I cannot connect, I even installed zadig

Any help appreciated

I have a MZ N 707

Hi everyone.

I have a MDS-JB980 and it would be great to get this working with Web Minidisc.

At the moment I use it in a virtual XP machine running on top of Linux.

If anyone would like a copy of the virtual machine or Windows Sony software driver to help get it working with the MDS-JB980 I can send you a copy.

Simon

Yep I just came here to say after messing around with various other options this web app worked absolutely flawlessly with my MZ-RH1, no crashes or funny business to speak of.

Stefano you rock! 

Of course, I'd like to add one more vote to the pile for Hi-MD support, that would make these little devices the absolute best retro purchase ever (if they aren't already). Do you think if you had an RH1or similar in hand to tinker with there's a chance you would have time to investigate Hi-MD functionality? Or is it just not realistic time-wise now that things are returning (sort of) to normal? 

Thanks a million!

Rowan

There's a genuine bug in most versions of any minidisc firmware relating to deletion of files with the same name. The solution is to be quite sure to name every track differently BEFORE you try to delete them.

Sorry about that, but I recall this from a very long time ago.

On 6/1/2020 at 6:18 PM, cybercase said:

Hello Enzo, happy you liked the app.

The idea of using a virtual machine to run sonic stage and then using a USB sniffer is exactly what I've discussed with @Fabrickator (who owns a JB980) .

On the paper, it could work. Then, once we've the communication logs we can try to fix the command-packets in the web minidisc app and see if it works.

I have done some research on the JE780 (which probably also applies to the JB980):