Can MZ-RH1 work with Windows 10?

Rate this topic

I took 3 old minidisk players out of storage. The really old ones work fine, but the MZ-RH1 not. Is it possible to use it with a modern Windows 10 laptop?

The computer does recognise the device is there, but the Device Manager doesn't find any drivers when it searches, and Sonicstage is of course long since dead. Yet there seem to be people buying and selling MZ-RH1 units, which suggests they are managing to use them - how?

I would download Sonicstage if I was sure it will work, and if I can find a clean source. 

Can anyone help me please?

Many thanks

Andy
Bristol UK

People are still buying them because they are fantastic little machines.

Before trying to revive Sonicstage, go and have a look at this Thread - you came to this forum at exactly the right moment! Stefano has made a brilliant new app - it works with MZ-RH1

Everything you need is here on this site, and has been working fine for at least 5 years. Not everyone thinks that SonicStage is a bad piece of software. Sure, it has restrictions, some of them silly, but compared to the offerings from Apple and others it is positively flexible if you know how (and that's one of the things we have here, a source of expertise).

You need the NetMD 64bit driver (best to install it first, if I recall, then there's less need to uninstall old versions that don't work and which come in the SS package). Then install SonicStage and you're good to go.

Life's not perfect; I am about to start checking out the new gizmo, which is quite a revolution in itself - but if you want something that's stable, you may want to start with Sonic Stage. There are plenty of people here with over 100GB of ATRAC, most of it 10x compressed or even more relative to WAV - and it's been a while since anyone complained they lost all their music.

Welcome to the board!