Sony Insider Forums

MDS-JE510 - weird eject problem

Rate this topic

If you don't want to disassemble more, the only solution is to try unlocking it or cleaning it (with contact spray) by top like I explain here : https://video.latavernedejohnjohn.fr/videos/watch/44346503-e4e8-427e-bece-0b6750bf7336

But with the risk to ruin the OPU which do not like liquids inside obviously if you don't protect it and do a bad job.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, sfbp said:

I like your idea, Jonathan - that the sled doesn't get home because motor cannot drive it. However I would suspect, especially given the glitch we see, that there is mechanical resistance that is preventing the homing of the head. Is there a worm screw (lead screw) like on the portables? I'm really pleased to look at your exploding diagram which is noticeably ABSENT from my 510 Service Manual, but I still haven't understood it fully. That's a special skill, understanding 2D representations of 3D layouts, and I apparently don't have it.

There is a worm screw yes, but in his second video at 40 seconds you can see that his deck is not trying to move the OPU at all before ejection. It ejects directly.

As ck10 said he was able to move the OPU in service mode. So nothing is blocking mechanically and no motor problem too.

Diagrams are in the SM of minidisc.org : https://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MDS-JE510+S38.html

15 hours ago, jonathanpotato said:

If you don't want to disassemble more, the only solution is to try unlocking it or cleaning it (with contact spray) by top like I explain here : https://video.latavernedejohnjohn.fr/videos/watch/44346503-e4e8-427e-bece-0b6750bf7336

But with the risk to ruin the OPU which do not like liquids inside obviously if you don't protect it and do a bad job.

I'll try it thank you.

What's contact spray? Can isopropanol do the job (what I used to clean the lens)?

I bent the head gently, so it doesn't seem to touch the metal rig when moving anymore (as seen in my video, when I skip from the first track to the last).

I still can use this deck as long as I remember to go back to track 1 after reading or recording a disc.

I don't have much hope, but I'm trying to do what I did when it wasn't able to read discs without multiple attempts : let it plugged in and play some discs. I'll check its behaviour after that.

The head was doing the same thing than what it's doing now if I insert a disc while not in IN position : looking for the disc then eject. But it was able to eject...

Edited by ck10
I didn't realize you shot this video for me, thanks a lot!

OK so the issue of the out-of-position OWH and the sled not going home are completely separate from each other.

Don't you love Occam's Razor though? In these circles it may be paraphrased: "the first error to occur is the one that matters".

34 minutes ago, sfbp said:

OK so the issue of the out-of-position OWH and the sled not going home are completely separate from each other.

Don't you love Occam's Razor though? In these circles it may be paraphrased: "the first error to occur is the one that matters".

So, you mean that I'm experiencing every single known issues?

Seems more a Murphy than Occam stuff :)

What could make the OWH not knowing where it is?

BTW you should not have to bend the head. That is doomed to failure, I think.

It's too bad the head isn't easier to remove. Trust me, it's not. But if you solve the sled problem, then you can solve the OWH positioning problem later.

12 minutes ago, sfbp said:

BTW you should not have to bend the head. That is doomed to failure, I think.

It's too bad the head isn't easier to remove. Trust me, it's not. But if you solve the sled problem, then you can solve the OWH positioning problem later.

I really bent it gently it's not even visible. I didn't force at all.

On 5/9/2020 at 7:20 PM, jonathanpotato said:

Thanks, it worked!
I used a Q-tip with isopropanol on the switch, and after a few seconds it came back to its initial position. I don't know if it will fail again, but at least I know what's going on. Thanks a lot.

Now that the head goes back to IN position when I eject a disc, it starts playing it a little bit faster.

But the OWH is still unusable.

I can't record anymore. The OWH position seems to be badly bent because of the time it spent in that way.
I don't know how to fix that... It may be suicide, but I did try your "virtual minidisc" tip in service mode while pushing the OWH, so it did go under the metal shell, then switched the device off so it stays in this position, but it's not enough

I checked your pictures (now that I understand better how it works). I think that there is a plastic part that is bent or misplaced, the one circled in red. And you seem to have a screw on top of what you call the leveler, but I don't think mine works in the same way.

Any idea ?

md.jpg

Thanks a lot for your help.

The OWH needs to be UNDER the metal plate.

See pictures of the post :

Metal slats needs to be straightened.

1.png.48e5ff1b3628d3770a856f56fee368a7.png

• Do the "virtual MD" trick (no MD inside)
  • Put the OPU/OWH to the center (>> button)
  • Unscrew a little (1 or 2mm) to release the OWH (red)
  • Pass gently the OWH under the metal plate
  • Re-screw the OWH on OPU
  • Use scalpel (or fine tool) to twist big metal slats (yellow) to re-adjust the OWH height
  • Use scalpel to twist the little metal slats to make the head flat against to the disc (orange). HINT : Put a minidisc and make STOP-REC-STOP-REC... to up and down the head and untwist theses wires step by step.
  • Once the head is flat against the disc when the head is down in recording mode like this :DSCF5233.JPG.59cfad26f2053e248712f37ea17f3377.JPG
  • Then try record few seconds and play what you recorded.
  • If you break tiny metal wires (orange) = get a new OWH, you failed.
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, jonathanpotato said:

• Use scalpel (or fine tool) to twist big metal slats (yellow) to re-adjust the OWH height
  • Use scalpel to twist the little metal slats to make the head flat against to the disc (orange). HINT : Put a minidisc and make STOP-REC-STOP-REC... to up and down the head and untwist theses wires step by step.
  • Once the head is flat against the disc when the head is down in recording mode like this :DSCF5233.JPG.59cfad26f2053e248712f37ea17f3377.JPG

Ok, I did the first part but it jumps above the metal plate because it’s badly bent. I wonder, do the two stripes (in yellow on your pic) should be straight, or a bit curved.

I hope it won’t break. But if I experience worst case scenario, and the OWH breaks, could the deck still work as a playing unit?

Do you think new heads can be found or would I have to buy the full block (same price as the deck itself)? I’m not sure it does worth it, if the switch is about to die too and I already had to Macgyver the microswitch...

Edit: I found this one but I don’t know that website at all.

Thanks a lot for all your tips!

Edited by ck10
On 5/11/2020 at 5:09 AM, jonathanpotato said:

Hey, I did all what you say (in my way, I didn't want to break while twisting so I screwed a toothpick above the slats an entire day in order to bend gently etc.) and it still didn't work : the head was stuck in its upper position.
Then I watched your photos again, and the white plastic piece I circled in red in my last photo was really totally twisted and the lever couldn't move the "arm".

And now... even if it's not perfect... surprise :

Thanks so so much to eveyone for your patience and your help.
Thanks to @jonathanpotato for your guide, your pics and videos as well as @kgallen and @sfbp for your investigations.
I know better how minidisc decks are working (and I love to learn things) and you saved mine.

I suppose it's a miracle to have it working again, because everything was badly bent and twisted. And this micrometric laser stuff has been fixed with screwdrivers, electrical tape, toothpicks and scalpels, used by an unlucky "wreck it all" guy, with your help.

Thank you!

Well all credit to you for persevering and getting it working - that's quite an achievement given the state of that OWH at one point! To echo what you said, the input, photos and videos from @jonathanpotato have been outstanding. Just for the fact of saving another MD machine and getting it back into service for it's owner is pleasure for us all!

Now, anyone fancy helping out on the 980 thread, we're still struggling with this one today!

Hope you're all staying safe and will be back on SIF soon - for the right reasons!

Kevin

• 9 months later...

Thought to add a two pennies worth.

I had a related problem - when you put in the disk it would display toc reading and then immediately eject.

I solved the problem by heating the disk reader with a hair drier, then the problem went away.

My thinking was that after several years not being used then any grease used in the construction would have solidified and so would stop the head moving. 

Unfortunately this has to be done every time you restart it from cold

Hope this might help someone.