NH600 disconnects and reconnects when Sonicstage is opened

Rate this topic

dazmatic

Hi everyone!

I've recently rediscovered my old NH600 and to my amazement when inserting a new battery still works after 15 or so years!!

Since then I figured if I could still get the device to load any music and so have installed Sonicstage 4.3 Ultimate and the Unsigned Net-MD drivers which has gotten the device recognised which is all great.

However, when loading Sonicstage, the device disconnects and reconnects constantly. As in, it disappears from device manager and reappears constantly and I'm not sure why?

Any ideas?

It will disconnect and reconnect any time you switch from NetMD to HiMD, for one thing

For another, if USB power is not that great you may have some problems. Put a 3V Sony PS on the yellow power/charging socket and see if the problem vanishes.

Also when the "disc mode" is different from the disk just removed, or the disk just inserted is different from the "disc mode" you will hear the same disconnect/connect noises.

I don't think it's quite as simple as that.

It's not like it does it once, it'll just do it repeatedly until I close Sonicstage again.

It recognises that there's a NetMD device attached and then just goes berserk. 

I'll see if I can get 3V on the on 3V input. Don't think it's the cable as I've tried a few and even those double ended cables used for providing extra power for USB hard drives so not a USB power issue.

Perhaps an issue with the USB controller on the device? Don't really know much about them and it looks immaculate inside. Perhaps I'll open it and see if there's any corrosion.

So the device works itself, turns on, plays music from the MD that was left inside. All the controls on the front panel works fine.

It was detected in Windows 10 originally as a USB external memory device and able to read/write from disc. Loading it with the WinUSB driver from Zadig got it recognised on Web Minidisc but unable to access because of something about it being protected.

Loading the NetMD driver got it recognised on Sonicstage but as mentioned, accessing it causes the driver to unload and reload repeatedly until you close Sonicstage again.

Just to confirm, I've tested the device in XP on a VMware machine and it works fine so definitely a compatibility issue.

I've removed and deleted all of the Zadig WinUSB drivers and it's now back as being an external storage device. However, when going to install the NETMD760 device drivers it's now saying that it's not compatible. 

Edit: Nope, without Zadig drivers, I can't install NetMD

You need to follow the trsin tracks. Step one is to get rid of all 32 bit drivers for netmd.

Step 2 is to disable driver signature enforcement at next boot

Step 3 is to install NetMD760

When you say it's back to  being a storage device that necessarily implies you're in HiMD mode. So at the very least you need to insert a formatted legacy MD. Better would be to switch the disc mode (menu) to NetMD/MD and insert a blank disk.

You'll get there.

Thanks for the assist.

So when I say that I can't install NetMD, I literally can't install it.

I think because the windows 10 default driver it installs on connection is the wpdfs driver for external storage and shows up as drive D: it messes with the PID/VID so that when trying to install the NetMD drivers I can't because they no longer match.

Zadig forces the driver to be installed and I can then install NetMD over that.

I haven't confirmed this yet so it's just a theory but it makes sense.

Just to confirm, I've tested the device in XP on a VMware machine and it works fine so definitely a compatibility issue.

I've removed and deleted all of the Zadig WinUSB drivers and it's now back as being an external storage device. However, when going to install the NETMD760 device drivers it's now saying that it's not compatible. 

I'll try installing with unsigned drivers allowed.

EDIT:

Idiot, been trying to install the NetMD driver over the wrong device. Bear with, I'll try it again.

you should also try removing any appropriate usb devises from device manager. I find I have to do that if I switch between hi-md and netmd. And it may help to stick to a single usb port on your pc, I have no problems under windows 8.1 64 bit by the way. I havent tried the Zadiq thing and dont intend to as Sonic Stage works fine

Yeah, so even after uninstalling and deleting the Zadig driver and manually installing the NetMD driver, I'm still getting the same issue with it disconnecting and reconnecting. 

It kind of works under Hi-MD but it's so flaky with failed transfers etc.

I've got a VMware XP running also and even in that, the NetMD drivers do the same thing so I'm thinking it may be a hardware issue?

problem with the NH600? Well I have one and have no problems with my ancient Core Quad system; if its hardware then its your (modern) pc or you have a faulty NH600 or try a different usb cable or a different usb port? I have number of identical smartphones that use these tiny ports and one drops connections with one usb port on my PC but ok on another where as an identical phone has no such problems. strange.

On 10/9/2020 at 12:22 AM, sfbp said:

Yeah the thing should show up with two different PIDs - one for NetMD and one for HiMD. For the latter, no drivers are required.

well maybe mabe not. The only way I am able to run HiMD and NetMD without removing the refs  in the device manage and refinding is to use different devices - the NH600 for NetMD and the MZ-RH1 for HiMD