sony mds je 470 disc playing but no sound

Rate this topic

nosoundman

i have a sony mini disc deck mds je 470, the discs are playing, the deck reads all information, display running, etc etc, but there is no sound, ??.. my discs were recorded in mdlp2 and mdlp4, it is an mdlp player recorder, i have tried my discs on other mdlp players and they are the same, still no sound, ??, i am very distraught over this because i cannot play any of my recordings now, ??, and i cant play them on any other player either, ??, i dont know what happened to the sound, i dont know what to do, ??, what can i do, ??, thanks all, london, england,

Can you play a disc recorded on another machine in the 470?

Can you record to this machine (from say a CD player)? Will that then play back on this or another machine? Try SP and LP2 modes.

Have you tried more than one disc?

The symptoms you report usually occur when trying to play an MDLP track/disc on an SP-only machine but this isn’t the case here with the 470.

19 hours ago, nosoundman said:

cant play them on any other player either

Just to make sure the "trivial" stuff is ticked off first (and I see Kevin already touched this):

- all your cabling is OK

- input selector is in right mode

- if you switch the display to level meter, you "see" the incoming audio signal (bars moving accordingly)

If all OK, can you then try this check: take one of these discs recorded on the 470 (and been recorded virtually all OK), also take one good disc that plays on another MDLP device and has an MDLP content. Then TOC clone the good disc's TOC to the "bad" disc, on another, known good deck. Try playing the "bad" disc now with the good TOC.  It does not matter for the test that track marks (titles, etc.) will not match, we just want to see whether or not the recorded LP material is indeed on the disc.

All good advice. I'm thinking the problem is more than likely with poor recording by some portable, OR a badly adjusted 470. The third really weird possibility is that the 470 is not in fact a 470 but something like a 330 that someone's put in a 470 box and therefore is an SP-only machine. Did you just buy it?

This isn't adding up for me. The discs play on a variety of MDLP players and display all associated information. What are you seeing on the level meter? Anything? ( I see that NGY asked abut that, too). Were the discs ever playable; that is, have they ever produced any sound?

8 hours ago, NGY said:

Then that "someone" most have been really perverted :-). Such an enormous task for zero benefit...

front_330.jpg.6ec9bfef21279b2333432a848d2e4f0a.jpgfront_470.jpg.967699876404a0b35eced1e46dc2ef21.jpg

back_330.jpg.a9ca317768c737b0905b950723cd8853.jpgback_470.jpg.47cbe4309a8cc0d63268df81f336646d.jpg

Hey I wasn't being super-serious. But sometimes the problems that people throw at one, it pays to think outside the box (or the chassis!)

he's tried them on a variety of players with same result, cant be 470's fault then, here's one out of the box even though he hasent stated it, hi md discs maybe, otherwise as kevin says the symptom is like putting a mdlp disc in a 520 or similar, dont know what a mdlp player would do with a hi md encoded disc .