Sony MZ-R50 Main Unit LCD Display Dimmed

Rate this topic

shaizada

Hello my Minidisc brethren =)

tried to listen to my MZ-R50 this morning and noticed that the main display on the unit has become insanely dim. It was perfectly fine yesterday when I put it away, but this morning, the story is different.

When I look at the display at a steep angle, the information is all showing correctly, but the display itself when viewed normally is completely dimmed out.  Any pointers on how to troubleshoot this issue? 

Please help...my unit is is wonderful shape otherwise.  Hope I can bring it back to normal operation.

I just wanted to update this forum on my solution so maybe it MIGHT help someone else in a similar situation.

I went ahead and carefully took apart the unit.  I was able to release the front display ribbon connector cable from the main circuit board and very gently clean the contacts with some 99% isopropyl alcohol.

This is kind of dangerous as apparently (I learned about this later), that the contacts are leaded.  If you clean them too much, you might simply "wipe" the contacts away and ruin the connector.  Well, I did use a light touch and when I put it all back together, my LCD was back in business.

So in my case, it was definitely an issue with oxidation.  Unit is now back to its former glory :)

• Like 1