Control software for MDS-E11

Rate this topic

JonasE

1 hour ago, M1JWR said:

only have one pat tested the jb980, september 2007, if there are others i cant remember off hand

They are Class II, nothing to test really. Inspection is key. As these machines have transformers then you could do an insulation test with the probe on the metal case, but there is little to be gained with this, you can spot the main faults with your in-built test equipment (your eyes).

Of course, I take care of my equipment and ensure it is in a safe state. This is common sense. This kit is only really formally inspected and tested because (a) I'm a pedant and like to button things up (b) strictly it's needed for me to take my kit into the halls we use for our shows.

No I don't "PAT test" my house equipment, I'm not that bad! (Well I might if I did a repair to something where putting it on the tester makes sense).

I don't want to talk about "PAT testers". Such discussions can be better covered by others, like BigClive.

31 minutes ago, kgallen said:

No hijack - nice to see a few friends on the thread, seems I'm being watched (eh, Chris... ;-) ! Eeeek!

Actually my apols to the OP, it seems I'm the one heading towards a thread and project hijack!

Haha, no problem whatsoever. =) I hope I will get my hands on an E12 too, soon. :-)

you have a lot more portables than i have, i have a mz r909, bought in the boomtime, around 2007, mint came with all its kit and 5 xsiv discs, 4 unused £20 all in, and a mz-n1 also with all its kit same price area, its at a friends house, has been for a long time, you know the score, will never see it again !!!

11 minutes ago, M1JWR said:

you have a lot more portables than i have

4 of these are "for" the kids - I bought a pair but had issues with them (so are now sitting in a drawer) so ended up buying another pair that thankfully work. The only portable I use is my MZ-R700 which I've had from new (maybe 2000), which I have in the office at work [not been there for some months now with the C* thing] with my stack of "legacy audio media" as my colleague call my pedestal drawer full of minidiscs...

37 minutes ago, kgallen said:

No hijack - nice to see a few friends on the thread, seems I'm being watched (eh, Chris... ;-) ! Eeeek!

Actually my apols to the OP, it seems I'm the one heading towards a thread and project hijack!

I must have something set somewhere (default?) I heard a beep and saw a notification "kgallen mentioned you in a thread" ;-) And yes, this tab has survived in my browser since Feb!
More importantly perhaps can I add my apologies for contributing to hijackingness ;-)

Worked a bit on this yesterday evening and I now am through the specification. Removed some bugs, optimized a bit... The code is still crappy and probably a few bugs are still lurking around, but now it works good enough to start making the real application. I will try to resolve annoying bugs along the way. :-)

Small update... As you can see I am not a graphics person. But it works so far. The deck can be controlled by the buttons top right and you can also play a track using the number button in the list. Buttons for writing updated track name, delete track, move track etc will be added shortly. :-)

Capture.PNG

10 hours ago, kgallen said:

Jonas, this looks promising. Are you able to share your code? (Sorry if I’ve missed this above!)

Kevin

Yes. I have not checked anything in yet. I really should do that... I will post a Git link, probably late tonight.

Best regards, Jonas

No rush! Do this when you're ready. I just wanted to check I hadn't missed your posting and you were wondering why no-one was playing with your new software!

I'll be using it with an E12 (don't have an E11), so if you know of any obvious incompatibilities then let me know.

First problem, possibly is to get a PC to use it's RS232 port... I have a Win 7Pro 32-bit with RS232 so it should be possible... :-)

"everyone" (meaning I cannot remember and I haven't done it!) is telling me that you should be able to buy a reliable USB<->RS232 adapter for a few bucks from Amazon. I do keep my early noughties laptop (T40) for communicating with my server-monster that has a real RS232 port in the docking station. I'm sure you know all about 9pin vs 25 pin and the various aspects of RTS/CTS and flow control generally, so you will work it out - that's the most painful part I have found, even if I have got the right connection.

5 minutes ago, sfbp said:

"everyone" (meaning I cannot remember and I haven't done it!) is telling me that you should be able to buy a reliable USB<->RS232 adapter for a few bucks from Amazon. I do keep my early noughties laptop (T40) for communicating with my server-monster that has a real RS232 port in the docking station. I'm sure you know all about 9pin vs 25 pin and the various aspects of RTS/CTS and flow control generally, so you will work it out - that's the most painful part I have found, even if I have got the right connection.

Thanks Stephen. Hopefully I should be good with the hardware side of it (await crying post in a couple of weeks!). At this point I'm assuming that Win7 will have a built-in driver for the motherboard RS232 port as it will be part of the standard "AT" chipset that's been on every PC from the start of time (I think!). If not then i guess I'll need to get one of those USB-RS232 adaptors, but it seems silly to need to do so! (I have a real aversion to the USB mechanicals since it has no secure locking mechanism - although nowhere near as bad as HDMI, what an abortion that is - weak insecure plug/socket attached to a chunky cable, jeez what a joke...). I digress...

Most USB-RS232 adapters should work. I have run into problems here at work when communicating with older robot controllers using RS232 and some USB-RS232 converters. After some investigation they seem to add a linefeed after carriage return or the other way around, and that makes protocols like this crash... Driver problem!

16 minutes ago, JonasE said:

Most USB-RS232 adapters should work. I have run into problems here at work when communicating with older robot controllers using RS232 and some USB-RS232 converters. After some investigation they seem to add a linefeed after carriage return or the other way around, and that makes protocols like this crash... Driver problem!

...and when it comes to cables... I found a bought female-female 9-pin nullmodem cable, and that just worked ( 2<->3, 3<->2, 5<->5 at least). Not sure if rts/cts and the others need connecting at the PC end, but I dont think so.

I use a Deltaco UC-232C9.

Skärmklipp.PNG

You should be able to use this to clone it all... Let me know if it does not work.

git clone https://JonasElofsson@bitbucket.org/JonasElofsson/md_editor.git

(You can also look at the code by just clicking the link above, it seems)

Never shared using git so I am not sure this works. But it should be an open repository.

Just open it in the free version of Visual Studio. I use 2018, I think.

Or, if you just want to test it: http://jonase.se/MD_Application.exe

Best regards, Jonas