Sony MDS JB 940 not responding

Rate this topic

Mike Osullivan

After a few years I started using this deck again but needed to replace the worn loading belt which went OK and the deck worked perfectly - for about four days. Now I've got more problems. Today suddenly the deck does not respond when the start button is pressed. The indicator glows proving that the power is there, but all I get is a tiny red "TOC" symbol flashing on the display. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike

usually means there is a disc stuck inside, make sure thats not the case before we go any further, otherwise known hereabouts as stuck in stand by and your belt change might not have gone aswell as you thought,if thats the case, dont worry its easy to get out.

yes, take cover off then look at pic of the drive unit you will see two white block bits, the inner to the right broader one first, give it a wee push towards the front, only about quarter to half an inch or so, just till it stops, that lifts the disc out of its sort of play position and lines it up for eject, then the other to the immediate left, it has what looks like teeth and a spring on, you should now be able to push that one all the way till it stops and then you can take the disc out of the front of the deck in the usual manner,the deck should now switch on, after that you are back to replacing the belt, plenty of links within posts on this site where to get "good ones" from of course dont force anything.

DSC00068.JPG

7 minutes ago, M1JWR said:

yes, take cover off then look at pic of the drive unit you will see two white block bits, the inner to the right broader one first, give it a wee push towards the front, only about quarter to half an inch or so, just till it stops, that lifts the disc out of its sort of play position and lines it up for eject, then the other to the immediate left, it has what looks like teeth and a spring on, you should now be able to push that one all the way till it stops and then you can take the disc out of the front of the deck in the usual manner,the deck should now switch on, after that you are back to replacing the belt, plenty of links within posts on this site where to get "good ones" from of course dont force anything.

DSC00068.JPG

push from the very back of the drive the first one just above where it says 12 then the other next to it

Sony JB 940: The saga continues!

Well it's very strange, I disconnected the unit and transferred it to another location (my kitchen table), removed the case again, connected to mains, pressed On and it came on immediately, and the disc ejected normally. I didn't take any other action except glare at it. I've now put the MD back with the other equipment and it seems to be working normally. Go figure! Anyway all is well than ends well. Thanks for your interest and advice.

I'm now going for broke and re-connecting my Sony DAT machine, circa 1993. Wish me luck!

Mike