A few 'phone questions

Rate this topic

evilmutent

Which headphone whould you choose?  

1. 1. If you were given the choice of only one of the following for free, which would it be?

• Sony D-66 eggo
    • Sony D-777
    • Bose Tri-port
    • Sony V-700

So i've got a few questions regarding head phones. I currently have the sony V-700s (for over the head phones) and i like their sound and most other things about them other then they are a pain in the hear after extended listening periods. i have somone willing to buy them off me, so i am looking for somthing to replace them with.

I've looked at, and heard alot about the D-66 eggos. i think they look awesome. they probably sound good, although my feeling is that they wont be the v-700's sound. not that i'm killing for the exact sound, but i think their sound will be inferior. this is only a guess based on specs, and what i've red over the past year. but..

now exists the new D-777 :huh: . these seem to be a fair match to the 700s. but guaging by the price, they might be better ( ? ). i prefer the look of the the 66s myself, but thats a personal opinion thing that i have to deal with B) . also, is the fact that they have come up with this new line mean that they will stop production of the 66, and so if i ever want a new pair of them i need to buy now?

finally, i know lots of people are against the bose triport, but i'd like to hear some honest opinions on them. i know they are not foldable, light and flimsy, have a cord to each cup, etc. i want to know waht they sound like. if their sound is porweful, full and/or tight. are they comfy on the ears? i think you konw what i'm asking :D

anyways, thanks alot for any/all of your guys help. you guys often come up with good, fair, and agreeable opinions. so i think are the best guys to ask. thanks!!

I'd say, none of the above..

If you feel like the V-700's are a pain, then i would have thought any of the better Sony units (aka the DJ/Pro orientated stuff... often much bulkier) will also not suit you.

Dunno about the Bose stuff, dont use the brand. All i know on the Bose score is, whatever you look at in the range, there is often an equivilent that's near enough to equal from another brand.. and often cheaper (aka not hyped in price to suit the brand's rep).

Take a look, maybe, at the modern equivs of the Seinheisser EH2200's, or similar spec stuff from other brands.

These, particularly the EH2200's (which i use often.. when not indulging in the four-driver per channel repro from me Medusa phones.. way to bulky from most people's POV the medusa units, but hell they score up in the stars from the near-speaker feel reproduction score), are almost as isolating as the more serious Sony V series items, a damn sight lighter.. and more comfortable for portable deck use.

In fact, the EH2200's score well as walkman cans as you almost forget you are wearing them.. and can literally wear them for 8 or more hours at a time without the usual fatigue caused by physically wearing cans (clearly, you will be audio fatigued as per any other cans over that kinda time span from listening). The main market for the EH2200's was for semi-serious musician and studio use, and let's face it, anything you can wear in a booth when monitoring and playing your instrument along to in a recording session.. and not be getting aggrovated by physical fatique and heaviness, is a good thing that translates to portables well.

The EH2200's cost me about 50 UKP locally when i got mine about 2 years ago now, never looked back on them - mind you, they did need some use before they really came to life (i aint a believer in the obsessive art of burning in cans and drivers.. but these units definately opened up a bit from use).

Many options, you just gotta figure out what it is precisely on the current units you wanna lose, what you wanna keep.., and find alternatives that fit both improves-on criteria or at least gets you the comfort without losing the quality/performance.

'Tom Kat'