portable headphone amp?

Rate this topic

rumblefish

• 4 weeks later...

I myself use a LinkPlus SRS-88 Surround Sound converter/booster, and based on my use I recommend it because it puts out some pretty good boost and deep, wide expansion (for around $25.00 now on eBay), and, it lasts over 100 hours on one measly "AAA" battery, and if you have IEMs or other flatter-response headphones that don't drown out the higher frequencies with over-exaggerated bass when using bass boost (like the MDR-A34SP/L units do, as they were built in 1996 and were intended for non-EQ/bass boost use with older Walkmans), I highly would (for the price) recommend them, but, before taking my suggestion, DO check out Boostaroo units or even those from Germany, made by Headphonia, among others, but don't jump in the car and buy them based on one (or my) opinion alone, do the research for yourself, it also depends on the equipment used with them (portable unit, headphones, type and EQ of music mostly listened to, etc.).

All these 25 years I have been dealing with personal audio (I have owned TONS of Walkman unit over that time) for my own enjoyment could have made me (if there was a title of that nature) a "personal audio consultant" for a major "stereos ONLY" store (excluding Circuit City, Best Buy, Wal Mart, etc.), as my "old school" philosophy could have fit in with the "nu skool" of portable gear such as the fine Atrac-based products mentioned on this board, or MP3 or Ipods.

I myself own currently an MZ-NH700S, a D-NE700S and an NW-E75 (all non-EU models), all with some sort of EQ or bass boost, and I would experiment with different combinations based on your particular unit and pipes used with it, until you can dial in the right combination for you, basically, it's all a matter of preference.

Edited by BIGHMW