Any impression on EX-85?

Rate this topic

Karen

• 1 month later...

I have both the MDR-EX90LP and the MDR-EX85SL. To my ears, they EX85s sound about the same as the EX90. The EX85s are less expensive because of less expensive components and less sound quality testing. I have been using the EX85s the most because they are lighter, have a short cord, and a more robust strain relief on the earbud.

The EX90 and EX85 are the best earbuds that I have ever used in terms of sound quality, comfort, and stay in the ear quality. My other earbuds have included the CX300, EX71, EX81, MD33, MX500, and E3C.

The EX81 sounded very similar to the EX71. Personally, I did not like the over the ear piece of the EX81. The EX71 has a very strong bass. The bass seems to overwhelm the other frequencies. The EX90 has an excellent bass that does not drown out other frequencies. The EX90 is significantly better sounding than the EX71/81. Because of the driver design, the EX90 tends to stay in my ear much better than the EX71 did.

IMHO, for about the same price, the EX85 is a much better value than the EX71/81.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got myself the EX85 for $90-compared to Sony's RRP of $130.

Were $150 in Australia originally.

Comes wth a nice fabric draw-string pouch and earphone holder (larger than the holder supplied with the EX32LP).

SQ-amazingly clear and distortion free, has nicely perfected sound across various frequencies.

I listened to pop music on my iPod with the EX85's-very rich sound.

Much better than Apple earbuds.

The design is unusual, but after a while it is extremely comfortable to wear. For my ears, I put on the large size tips included.

Tips-replacements are EP-EX1 and may also fit other EX series headphones.

In conclusion, I enjoyed listening to music with these headphones greatly.

Edited by A.A. Fussy

I've been using the EX85 for months now. In short, it's simply a glorified EX71. It has better bass and highs than the EX71 (not as harsh), but the mids are still drowned. Simply inferior to IEMs, even the cheap models of Shure/Ultimate ears that can be had for similar price. Isolation is not great either due to the angled piece. I imported the SL version (which is why I'm still using it). It's fancy and turns a few heads on the street, but SQ wise, one can do better elsewhere. Only for those that prefers Sony's sound signature or those that thinks bass and no mids is good sound quality.

http://www.audiotstation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35514