Sony Insider Forums
mog the cat

AAC WMA ATRAC3 which is best

Rate this question

Question

i have ordered a sony nw a806 mp3 player and was wondering what format was best for encoding music.

from my tests i have done i have concluded that AAC is better than WMA, however i cannot realy tell much of a difference between AAC and atrac 3, although i did think that atrac 3 sounded clearer at lower bit rates. i have asked someone else to do the listening test and they were able to constantly pick out between 160 and 192 kilbytes per second in AAC and WMA. they say that AAC is better than atrac 3 so i think i will trust them.

also does the encoding software make a difference, the AAC files done with itunes are smaller than those of the same bit rate done with sonic stage somehow.

31 answers to this question

Well, this didn't seem to work for me... ripped the first CD from ATB's "The DJ: In the Mix 3" and there was definite gaps between tracks. ATRAC has really spoiled me in the gapless playback department. :)

@pata2001, What settings did you use to trip the AAC tracks into SS? And what type of music did you try it out with?

Why are you bothering with AAC? You have a sony walkman that is ATRAC compatible, so why not use it?

Edited by Rob A

Why are you bothering with AAC? You have a sony walkman that is ATRAC compatible, so why not use it?

That´s exactly what I was thinking.Also what I´ve found is that Atrac 128 is better bit rate than Atrac 132

I've definitely been using ATRAC as default, but it would be nice to have the same tracks to transfer to my SE w810 Walkman phone. I basically use the phone to listen to podcasts/mixes on the go and the A808 for everything else.

Well, this didn't seem to work for me... ripped the first CD from ATB's "The DJ: In the Mix 3" and there was definite gaps between tracks. ATRAC has really spoiled me in the gapless playback department. :)

@pata2001, What settings did you use to trip the AAC tracks into SS? And what type of music did you try it out with?

Again, I can only confirm gapless AAC playback on the S70x series, not any other network walkmen. I know that the E00x series CANNOT play AAC gaplessly. I presume anything older than the S70x couldn't either. Even the PS3 cannot play AAC gaplessly.

I simply use one of my various Super Eurobeat non-stop CDs, ripped via Sonicstage to AAC 128kbps.

Again, I can only confirm gapless AAC playback on the S70x series, not any other network walkmen. I know that the E00x series CANNOT play AAC gaplessly. I presume anything older than the S70x couldn't either. Even the PS3 cannot play AAC gaplessly.

I simply use one of my various Super Eurobeat non-stop CDs, ripped via Sonicstage to AAC 128kbps.

Right. I was hoping since the A80x series was a bit newer that it would have this functionality too. Maybe they'll add gapless for AAC in the future with a firmware update, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.