When will we see a new SonicStage?

Rate this topic

Free4

Does anyone have any ideas if theres a new version due soon its been a while.

If SONY haven't realised and your reading this, YOUR SOFTWARE IS STILL CRAP, FIX IT! I paid my money i want something that works properly.

or are they to busy messing up the PS3 to care? :wave:

Why do I have to wipe my Mp3 player everytime I connect it because "Sonic Shit" doesn't want to work with it dispite it having wiped it previously and uploaded to it?

Why can't I select a group of track and assign them as all part of the same album in one go but have to do it one track at a time?

Why is it when i have been in a situation of upgrading my machine and from a fresh install I put "sonic shit" on and scan my music lib to load everything back into a fresh install it can't figure out what tracks belong in what album, WHEN ALL THE BLOODY TRACKS IN ALBUMS ARE LABELED PROPERLY WITH THE ALBUM NAMES ? Talk about poor software engineering.

Edited by Free4

whilst i do not agree with the tone of the post, i do agree with several points.

firstly, as sonicstage works with tags and not file names, it MUST be able to edit tags such as AAC/MP4 and album artist tags correctly and write those changes back to the mp3 aac/mp4 files successfully.

it needs to allow group editing of tracks, im getting really fed up of having to alter the `part of compilation` tag and then doing an album artist swap everytime i re importan album.

this has to be fixed, or sonic stage needs to allow the database file to be backed up WITHOUT having to duplicate the whole music directory. when it does this by the way it still messes up as it only does it in 1 folder level, ruining my arrangements of artist/album/tracks.

I am sorry that you are having difficuties with SonicStage. My experience with the program is different to yours. The program imports albums from CDs with no problems. There are issues relating to MP3s. My question is how should SonicStage deal with the various "Black & White"?

SonicStage does what the user tells it to do. It does need some improvements, but not on some of the issues addressed on the first post.

I am sorry that you are having difficuties with SonicStage. My experience with the program is different to yours. The program imports albums from CDs with no problems. There are issues relating to MP3s. My question is how should SonicStage deal with the various "Black & White"?

SonicStage does what the user tells it to do. It does need some improvements, but not on some of the issues addressed on the first post.

as we all know, sonicstage works via tags and not via the filenames/folders.

this is fine and a good way of working.

the problem is that the metods of editing these tags is conveluted and flawed in 3 ways.

1) sonicstage does not alow mass editing of tags. this means that if you wanted to change the artist or an attribute on multiple tracks (say a compilation of tracks where the artist is not the same but the album they belong to is) sonicstage does not alow you to do this, which leads me onto the second point

2) Sonicstage does not support the popular tag formats. this is a massive problem as if sonicstage suported the popular tag formats we could edit the tags in another program, set up albums and attributes the way we wanted then have sonicstage import them and catalogue evrything correctly, negating the need to use sonicstage`s taggin system. as sonicstage does not support apples taggin system or the most populat taging systems (it even uses a non-standard method of taging inside its own 3gp container) it makes reading in files a no-go. also, the tags it writes are not supported by other programs meaning they canot be edited outside of sonicstage.

3) sonicstage does not tag properly and still uses a DB for tagging. forexample, it stores which tracks are part of a compilation via the DB and not in the files tags. this means re importing a track results in it forgeting its own settings. since ID3v2 alows creation of its own tags, why can sonicstage not write its own marker and rember this?

these 3 problems are the main problems with sonicstage, crashing bugs aside. they must be fixed to make sonicstage work correctly.

that is my complaint.

As my wife often tells me I am a very simple man. Also being 39 years old, I'm old enought to remember a time before computers and MP3 players, whenI use to sit infront of my hi-fi, and record vinly onto cassette tapes. Whilst I look back at those times with fondness, I also realise that new technology has benefitted my life enormsly. Bottom line: compared to times past, SS is heaven, and you won't mind me complaining. But then again, I am quite simple :lol:

Why can't I select a group of track and assign them as all part of the same album in one go but have to do it one track at a time?

Why is it when i have been in a situation of upgrading my machine and from a fresh install I put "sonic shit" on and scan my music lib to load everything back into a fresh install it can't figure out what tracks belong in what album, WHEN ALL THE BLOODY TRACKS IN ALBUMS ARE LABELED PROPERLY WITH THE ALBUM NAMES ? Talk about poor software engineering.

1) Yes, you can. It is called Playlist, which functions much like folders.

2) You simply need to uncheck box from scanning computers for audio files.

3) Lastly, watch your language. Simply writing with poor temper control isn't going to change anything; most likely, it will draw readers away from your comments.

But highest on the list, I think for most people, is that SonicStage needs to facilitate conversions from ATRAC to WMA or MP3 or AAC files, to the extent that the source ATRAC files are not DRMed (e.g., ripped CDs). I continue to be shocked and pissed that Sony has stop-gapping this vital capability.

As a nuance to this demand, the conversions from ATRAC Lossless files need to come from the lossless portion of each song/track file, rather than from the ATRAC3plus corollary file part which has less definition.

Edited by hpmoon

But highest on the list, I think for most people, is that SonicStage needs to facilitate conversions from ATRAC to WMA or MP3 or AAC files, to the extent that the source ATRAC files are not DRMed (e.g., ripped CDs). I continue to be shocked and pissed that Sony has stop-gapping this vital capability.

As a nuance to this demand, the conversions from ATRAC Lossless files need to come from the lossless portion of each song/track file, rather than from the ATRAC3plus corollary file part which has less definition.

Amen. That is the absolute biggest problem with SonicStage. Once your tracks are in ATRAC there is no possible method of converting it to other codec. SonicStage should atleast allow the conversion to MP4 or MP3 format.

As my wife often tells me I am a very simple man. Also being 39 years old, I'm old enought to remember a time before computers and MP3 players, whenI use to sit infront of my hi-fi, and record vinly onto cassette tapes. Whilst I look back at those times with fondness, I also realise that new technology has benefitted my life enormsly. Bottom line: compared to times past, SS is heaven, and you won't mind me complaining. But then again, I am quite simple :lol:

Gq smooth, you're the man!!

Amen. That is the absolute biggest problem with SonicStage. Once your tracks are in ATRAC there is no possible method of converting it to other codec. SonicStage should atleast allow the conversion to MP4 or MP3 format.

Shinji, can't you convert any non-DRM'ed ATRAC file to a WAV now? I think you can - and then you can use LAME to convert to MP3. This is especially useful with ATRAC Lossless, since there's no transcoding going on.

-Nav