"Intelligent Features" on NW-A808

Rate this question

whatsleftofj

Question

Okay, so I just purchased an NW-A808 off the minidisc.org board. I love it completely. BUT it keeps coming up on Simple Mode every time I start it up. I've read through every question/response online I could find regarding this. Everyone says to check the Intelligent Features section in the transfer area of SonicStage. Mine is, and has always been, checked. And yet the device still comes up on simple mode. I just tried installing the latest firmware, but that didn't solve the issue. Does anyone have any suggestions for righting this horrible wrong so that I may have cool shuffle features?

12 answers to this question

Hi whatsleft !!

I had this happen to me. Basically the intelligent features stuff isnt something you can " turn on and off" by selecting in Sonicstage. It's whether it was switched on WHEN TRANSFERRING THE TRACKS ..............(if you see what I mean). What I had to do was transfer everything off the player back into SS - then make sure "intelligent" was switched on - then transfer all my music. Doing that gave me all the ratings/years/intelligent stuff etc.

Regards.

The Intelligent Features button (in the transfer area--in the toolbox) is and has always been turned on. Also, I just reset my device when I upgraded the firmware. Neither of these things solved the issue. Stumped yet? I am. :sad:

Is it something to do with simple/advanced mode maybe? I'm sure I read a few posts about that. Maybe it needs to be in advanced mode as well. I'm probably wrong, but that's OK, because someone will correct me anyway :)

Is it something to do with simple/advanced mode maybe? I'm sure I read a few posts about that. Maybe it needs to be in advanced mode as well. I'm probably wrong, but that's OK, because someone will correct me anyway :)

Indeed Advance Mode has to be enabled first before any transfer is made. The A808 will kind of reset its internal setting to Advanced Library mode.

Transfer Mode Setting > Advanced button

Okay, I just formatted the player, reset the unit, and went back to original factory settings. Then, with the 'Intelligent Features On' tab still checked in the transfer mode settings, I put everything back on. I then unplugged it from my computer, it said "creating library..." and then, once created, said 'Simple Mode' still. I'm convinced there's no changing it.

SO you are using SonicStage 4.3 then right. In SonicStage you have selected "Use Intelligent Features". You have converted your files to ATRAC. When you check on your players it says under Common Settings, for the Unit Information the library is "Simple Mode".

Try playing some song, then reconnect to SonicStage and Transfer a new files. Disconnect and see if there is any difference.

I don't think you have to convert your music to Atrac in order to use the player intelligent function because my A808 contains MP3 only. However your MP3's or Atrac files must have some sort of metatag with year released dates, Genre, etc., for the intelligent feature to work.

Follow the attached screen shot to enable Advance Mode in Library.

Edited by tonyjaa

I don't think you have to convert your music to Atrac in order to use the player intelligent function because my A808 contains MP3 only. However your MP3's or Atrac files must have some sort of metatag with year released dates, Genre, etc., for the intelligent feature to work.

Follow the attached screen shot to enable Advance Mode in Library.

I am unsure about that, too, since ATRAC files are similar technically to MP3 files. Trying would not hurt. However, I now agree with you that the Metatag must be the issue.

I do believe that they are doing the correct thing.