Price Drop Sony CPF-IX001

Rate this question

aob9

Question

I have posted a few complaints about network connectivity and this device in another thread. However, once you get this little device up and going you will not regret it.The sound is absolutely AMAZING. It streams radio extremely well and it looks cool. The detail on the screen is a little muddled and incomplete but I'm sure improvements are saved for a later version. I have the 'line in' connected to the 'audio out' on my satellite TV box and the sound improvement over my JVC flatscreen is incredible. With the price of this device falling I would highly recommend it.

But beware, there is a learning curve with the networking side of the device as it is not entirely straight forward.Also, it is troublesome if you use it to cradle your 70* or 80* as detailed in another thread here. The buttons on the remote don't seem to do as described when it comes to selecting tracks. I do expect this to be sorted out with a firmware upgrade ( he says hopefully).

10 answers to this question

I have posted a few complaints about network connectivity and this device in another thread. However, once you get this little device up and going you will not regret it.The sound is absolutely AMAZING. It streams radio extremely well and it looks cool. The detail on the screen is a little muddled and incomplete but I'm sure improvements are saved for a later version. I have the 'line in' connected to the 'audio out' on my satellite TV box and the sound improvement over my JVC flatscreen is incredible. With the price of this device falling I would highly recommend it.

But beware, there is a learning curve with the networking side of the device as it is not entirely straight forward.Also, it is troublesome if you use it to cradle your 70* or 80* as detailed in another thread here. The buttons on the remote don't seem to do as described when it comes to selecting tracks. I do expect this to be sorted out with a firmware upgrade ( he says hopefully).

It doesn't look like it will ever be fixed by a firmware upgrade from what I was told yesterday, but then he didn't seem sure of what he was talking about anyway, since he kept insisting the 808 wasn't compatible with the unit!

Well, I just ordered the previous model (without the wi-fi) CPF-NW001 from Amazon for the amazing price of £39.77!!! For some reason, it's not even showing that figure as a reduction in price. I bought this one in February for £160, then sold it and bought the wi-fi version.

Also, when I bought the original one, it was listed for the NW-S7xx series - now the 7xx description has been replaced by the A8xx - which is odd as it's exactly the same model as before. My hope is that the remote will switch albums!!!

Well, I just ordered the previous model (without the wi-fi) CPF-NW001 from Amazon for the amazing price of £39.77!!! For some reason, it's not even showing that figure as a reduction in price. I bought this one in February for £160, then sold it and bought the wi-fi version.

Also, when I bought the original one, it was listed for the NW-S7xx series - now the 7xx description has been replaced by the A8xx - which is odd as it's exactly the same model as before. My hope is that the remote will switch albums!!!

I have the CPF-NW001 and it's an awesome piece of kit - for £39.77 (delivered) it's a steal and I would recommend anyone with a compatible WM to get one quick before they're all gone:

CPF-NW001 at Amazon

My only complaint is that it is not fully compatible with the A80x series as you cannot change albums using the up & down buttons on the remote as you can with the S70x series.

I'm very tempted to get another at this price and use it specifically for the FM radio on the S70x.

Another Amazon deal at the mo is free speakers/charging dock (SRS-NWZ10) when purchasing a NW-ZA81x series WM:

Free Sony SRS-NWZ10 at Amazon

Here's a pic:

88340054.jpg

My only complaint is that it is not fully compatible with the A80x series as

you cannot change albums using the up & down buttons on the remote

as you can with the S70x series.

You can't change album??? The guy at the 'help' desk told me the CPF-NW001 would definitely change albums as the remote control was configured differently to the remote for the other model. What's strange is that the CPF-NW001 is fully compatible with the 7xx and DOES switch albums. Now they're describing it as an audio cradle for the 8xx (doesn't mention the 7xx any more) - so you'd expect it to behave in exactly the same way.

I'm glad I take no notice of the help/hindrance desk, seems I got the wrong information yet again. I was really looking forward to switching albums.

I know it's not hard to do it manually, but it's so much easier just to point the remote at it. Anyway, I made £60 profit by getting a refund of £99.99 from Argos for the wi-fi one, and then buying the other one for less than £40. So I'm not too peeved :)

I have the CPF-NW001 and it's an awesome piece of kit - I'm very tempted to get another at this price and use it specifically for the FM radio on the S70x.

How did you manage to listen to the radio through it? I was never able to with my 706. The antenna thing's in the earphones isn't it?

I'm sure you can only use the radio if you're using the supplied NC022 earphones, but if you've managed to listen to it through the CPF-NW001 then I'm obviously mistaken. Or did you find some other way of getting a signal??

I have upgraded mine to the latest firmware available from Sony and also updated the M-Crew software (Sony USA was nice enough to send a free CD if you don't wanna download 256 MB). I tried attaching a new updated manual here but the file seems too big. I also recently picked up VAIO WA1 Audio Streamer and am very happy with it especially after upgrading its firmware to the latest one as well that added a bunch of new features. I guess what I enjoy the most is the Web Radio without the need of the computer to be on (unlike IX001).

How did you manage to listen to the radio through it? I was never able to with my 706. The antenna thing's in the earphones isn't it?

I'm sure you can only use the radio if you're using the supplied NC022 earphones, but if you've managed to listen to it through the CPF-NW001 then I'm obviously mistaken. Or did you find some other way of getting a signal??

When the S706 s docked to the cradle you need something to act as an antenna (bad desigin Sony!) but you don't need the NC022 earphones (although they will work) - anything metalic (I just tried it with a pair of sissors!) will do as long as you poke it in a couple of millimeters and allow it to touch one side (circular - no sides - DOH!) of the earphone jack.

Without anything touching the earphone jack you won't hear a thing - not even hiss - so there must be some switching circuit in the WM.

Give it a go - the combo makes an awesome radio.

I have upgraded mine to the latest firmware available from Sony and also updated the M-Crew software (Sony USA was nice enough to send a free CD if you don't wanna download 256 MB). I tried attaching a new updated manual here but the file seems too big. I also recently picked up VAIO WA1 Audio Streamer and am very happy with it especially after upgrading its firmware to the latest one as well that added a bunch of new features. I guess what I enjoy the most is the Web Radio without the need of the computer to be on (unlike IX001).

I have upgraded mine as well. Vista now streams to the unit ok but web radio does nothing ie when I press the button marked web radio on the control nothing happens. Do you have to set something up on the server. The firmware upgrade made no difference to the problems of changing albums on the a808.

Alla