MEDIA MANAGER FOR WALKMAN is Released!

Rate this topic

Zizone_

Well, Sony released MEDIA MANAGER FOR WALKMAN, and I hope I am not bringing old news. Anyways, I am installing the program at this moment.

But...

NOTES:

Does not include a video file conversion function. To use this fuction->

In order to use this function, it is required to upgrade to MEDIA MANAGER FOR WALKMAN PRO.

Anyways, I think I am sticking with WMP 11 to organize music, and just use MEDIA MANGER to video conversion.

Edited by Zizone

Well after spending a bit of time with Media Manager all I can say is what a pile Of Sh*t.Useless.....so lets see what we have here......Sony have no New DAPS with more than 8Gigs and even the new ones aren´t Gapless and there doesn´t look like there will be new ones anytime soon especially with High Capacity....and people wonder why everyone has an iPod.....because they supply decent software in iTunes and Both small and high capacity players...but us Sony fans have to deal with small capacity players and Horrendous software.....Come on people this has got to stop.........

How does playlisting work? I wasn´t able to find out using built-in help?

Overall this piece of software is very rudimentary, yet slow. There are almost no options in the settings tab. AAC encoding relies on installed Quicktime-itunes, how funny. Transfer and connection to Walkman devices is as slow as ever.

As is this is a big disappointment.

Why is this software a 40MB download? Why should you have to pay for an upgrade to deal with video when the devices it is designed to service have video capability? Why does it look so bland after all the feedback Sony have had down through the years?

Why do I still buy Sony?

Why is this software a 40MB download? Why should you have to pay for an upgrade to deal with video when the devices it is designed to service have video capability? Why does it look so bland after all the feedback Sony have had down through the years?

Why do I still buy Sony?

i'm chuffed with the walkman itself - but this piece of software is junk - for me it's so slow it's unusable, even if they paid me to use it, i wouldn't, heh, let alone buy it.

Somebody ought to be ashamed of this software, what a waste of time.

Personally, I don't understand why this software is getting much attention. I agree that this software does not meet today's standard. But, no one is forcing you to use this software, unlike old day's SonicStage, which in my opinion is much better than Media Manager.

Considering many other softwares to choose to manage music, video, and pictures for NWZ-810 series in addition to drag-n-drop, I have no problem, since finally the hardware is more open than ever. It is interesting to see how so many people praised the Walkman and now it is getting criticized for releasing Media Manager.

Anyhow, Sony SERIOUSLY needs to work on their software and their advertisement department.

Edited by Zizone

Personally, I don't understand why this software is getting much attention. I agree that this software does not meet today's standard. But, no one is forcing you to use this software, unlike old day's SonicStage, which in my opinion is much better than Media Manager.

Agreed, Sonicstage 4.3 is fully mature software and is a lot better than this Media Manager stuff. To be honest it is of no use to me as I don't have an open format player. The reason I had a look was to keep myself fully up to date with what Sony is doing as I intend to upgrade to a high capacity player soon. I don't think it will be a Sony though; especially as they don't have one.

Yeah, I also just downloaded it out of curiosity. Was hoping it was going to work with the PSP... But after testing out the Zune software (also out of curiosity), I was really impressed. It's clean and fast and organized. I think if I need to replace my DAP, I'll wait until they release the Zune 80GB in Canada.

-Nav

I was also looking for DAP for Christmas present. Toshiba T-series and few others like Samsung P2. But, Samsung only supports MP3 and WMA (no lossless support) so I turned that down and bought yet another NWZ-A818 for present.

I think for myself, I am going to wait until probably May, and see what Sony has to offer.

Anyways, what is SNR for Zunes? just out of curiosity... also, does it support Linear PCM (WAV)?

I kinda like NWZ-A818 alot in a way that it supports many formats: WAV, AAC, MP3, WMA. It seems like so many players are dropping WAV lately... what is the world coming to... :sad:

Edited by Zizone

Yeah, I also just downloaded it out of curiosity. Was hoping it was going to work with the PSP... But after testing out the Zune software (also out of curiosity), I was really impressed. It's clean and fast and organized. I think if I need to replace my DAP, I'll wait until they release the Zune 80GB in Canada.

-Nav

I´m kimda with you on this.The Zune is getting fantastic reviews but what I like most is that MS sorted out the problems with the first release unlike Sony....I seriously considering moving away from Sony.The only problem with the Zune for me is that it doesn´t support gapless playback.....

I´m kimda with you on this.The Zune is getting fantastic reviews but what I like most is that MS sorted out the problems with the first release unlike Sony....I seriously considering moving away from Sony.The only problem with the Zune for me is that it doesn´t support gapless playback.....

well that and the fact that zune is not available outside of the us. what a joke. might have launched xbox 360 in the us only as well. argh.

@zizone: I wouldn´t get worked up about aac too much. At v1 mp3 is perfect for portable use. For archiving purposes I´d store a lossless version on my harddisk but not on a portable device. Larger files mean more bitrate = more cpu power required with obvious effects on battery life.

Gapless playback is still a no-go. :sad: That's something that requires a firmware update I bet.

It uses Apple encoders for AAC...might make it better than Nero for encoding, I'll have to do a side-by-side comparison later.

No ability to edit tags, which is lame, but I did notice that MP3 files transfered through it would display the year on my walkman while MP3's transfered through drag and drop would not. Other than that, there isn't much to recommend this program over others. I'll look into upgrading to pro and play around with it more later.

well that and the fact that zune is not available outside of the us. what a joke. might have launched xbox 360 in the us only as well. argh.

@zizone: I wouldn´t get worked up about aac too much. At v1 mp3 is perfect for portable use. For archiving purposes I´d store a lossless version on my harddisk but not on a portable device. Larger files mean more bitrate = more cpu power required with obvious effects on battery life.

To be honest, I don't really pay too much attention over lossy compressed formats, since I rarely use except for some sound tracks. Mostly, I use WAV over anyother types of lossless formats since the former tends to give much better battery life. But as far as I know, correct me if I am wrong, Zune does not support WAV. To be honest, I was a bit surprised that many players today do not support WAV.

Well after spending a bit of time with Media Manager all I can say is what a pile Of Sh*t.Useless.....so lets see what we have here......Sony have no New DAPS with more than 8Gigs and even the new ones aren´t Gapless and there doesn´t look like there will be new ones anytime soon especially with High Capacity....and people wonder why everyone has an iPod.....because they supply decent software in iTunes and Both small and high capacity players...but us Sony fans have to deal with small capacity players and Horrendous software.....Come on people this has got to stop.........

Wow, you took the words right off my mouth.

Funny how people complain about memory size when the average ipod user has less than 2 gigs on their devices. I for one really couldn't care less for 20 or 60 gigs, I may have that much in music, but I don't need all of it at once.

It seems that sony has decided that flash will be the future rather than hdd. Sony already has a 16 gig player in japan, only a matter of time before it arrives here. The media manager software is not the best, but I doubt anyone will use it seeing as the players are drag and drop and can be used with WMP11.

I really can't stand the ipod's interface, the click wheel, and the design of the player, all seem cumbersome in my view. Plus battery life is a major plus from sony, which some companies can't even yet match. I performed a test on my player, 20 hours played non stop from start to finish, 159 songs, I believe 98% of the songs are mp3 at 320 kbps. After the songs finished playing the battery life was still at the half way mark. This floored me, since I don't think my A3000 didn't even achieve such a good result. In fact I think I ran out of battery once on it before I finished 16 hours of play.

So if the battery life is understated for the audio and the player easily lasted 20 hours playing 320 mp3s. you could probably get a hell of a great battery life at lower bitrates. I should mention, I accessed the player about 12 times or so, and volume was at 15 at all times, headphones were the EX71s, no screensaver, only 15 second screen time. EQ custom on.

I for one couldn't be happier with my 818, and if the software sucks, so be it, I am not using it, will not use it, and wouldn't want to use it.

anyways, here's hoping for a firmware update for gapless and the picture bug.

Ok so i was so excited to try out this Media Manager Software and geez what a disappointment! I was really hoping some sort of integration with playlists and such and automatic syncing like in iTunes/SS... but oh well, it's just kinda bland and doesn't do any playlisting features.

The only good thing about this software is transfer of pictures, RSS video feeds, and videos (if you pay $12 to autoencode, but you shouldn't have to really)

I think i'm going to stick to WMP11, the playlists can be easily transferred and auto-syncing content to the player is pretty much easy.

I was hoping this piece of software would be like iTunes to do auto-syncing and such but guess not (from what i have played around with)

... and i just realized how much i missed creating playlists on the fly

Edited by cliffster115

Hi all..first post here.

so far what i have noticed about MM4W:

-browsing is painfully slow

-no way to edit RSS feed content i.e. genre

-virtually no options for anything

-no playlists???!!!?

-it feels like freeware, and doesnt seem to replace anything, not WMP 11, not Windows Explorer...

I was at least hoping for a semi-decent RSS manager but this cant even do that....so what the point of this software?

The only thing i'll keep this for is transferring pics and maybe video...maybe...

Edited by wokman

Hi all..first post here.

so far what i have noticed about MM4W:

-browsing is painfully slow

-no way to edit RSS feed content i.e. genre

-virtually no options for anything

-no playlists???!!!?

-it feels like freeware, and doesnt seem to replace anything, not WMP 11, not Windows Explorer...

I was at least hoping for a semi-decent RSS manager but this cant even do that....so what the point of this software?

The only thing i'll keep this for is transferring pics and maybe video...maybe...

yes there is no playlist function!!! unbelieveable isn't it?! oh well I don't think there is a point to this software, I use WMP11 which is quite nice actually, if it could sync faster! :)