11/21: Wild MZ-R700/R500 Hack

Rate this topic

WORTH THE EFFORT? Are you kidding? It is sooooo much easier to push a few buttons on an MZ-R700 than to spend all the extra money to buy an MZ-R900. If you have enough money to easily drop the extra bucks for an R900, then could you do me a favor and buy me an MZ-N10? Hey, Christmas is coming...

By the way, don't try this trick on an MZ-N707. It works, but it makes the buttons go screwy. You get in extra trouble with an MZ-N707 due to the keypad layout. When the buttons change, the stop button becomes the volume down button but the pause remains the same. That creates a problem because the stop and pause buttons are on opposite sides of the little button rocker thingie. I had to take my recorder apart, find the right spot to solder to enter service mode (somewhat of a challange with a service manual...speaking of which, anyone have a service manual for a MZ-N707?), and use the remote to navigate the system to change the vaules back (mine were A0 and 50.) Unless you'd like to change your control layout on your recorder in exchange for adding a few features, don't bother trying this trick out.

Are you forgetting something? An R700 is soo huge!!

I prefer my R37 to an R700. At least it's about as slim as an R900..

I'd easily fork out for an R900 (wow, they're so expensive :roll: ) than have a bulky R700. If I had an R700 already, then yeah, I'd do it. Providing I didn't press pause in the wrong place :D

<-- Damit, I hate DK3.com emoticons.. :evil:

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys!

I posted this because i want to get some things clear

-this mod rulez if somebody misses he PLAYLISt function in the 900

-I did it with help of the Service maual, my thoughts, luck, and a month of ork, when i rendered my recoreder unoperable about times, resetet it and started all over again.

-It was not EVER meant for the NetMD, beacuse i do not own one.

Im still waiting for one though, so ill start my work on it when i get it. and it will work with all the buttons normal and so on. i just need time.

And also i dont think it has the MD->PC transfer there, beacuse somebody from OpenNMD would find it sooner (or am I just that smart ;))

Anyway, ill tell you guys everything when im done.

Guest Anonymous

If you ever try the hack on the 707 as someone told the keys will be screwed up.. (I tried it myself)

But you don't have to open the unit to get back into the service mode... just replace the vol - key by group/cancel and follow the same procedure... that will work....

Hey, Peter (MoV1)

I own an MZ-N707. When you get your NetMD and maybe try to figure out why the MZ-R700 trick messes up the buttons on the NetMD, if you need any help testing, researching, trying different combinations of settings, or whatever, give us a hint of what to do. I'd like to be a part of the project to get this thing working on the NetMD, that'd be great. Thanks.

Hey, guys,

I've been playing around with my MZ-N707 trying to get this R900 hack to work. It seems I have finally found the problem. In order to get this thing to work, do only the second step of the hack and skip the first one. In other words, do the following:

1). Enter the serice mode.

2). Press VOL + -- you should see "MANUAL" displayed on the left and "0 00" on the right.

3). Press PLAY -- you should see "Laser" on the left and "0 10" on the right.

4). Press VOL + 5 times -- you should see "F Code" on the left and "0 60" on the right.

5). Press PLAY 2 times -- you should see incrementing numbers in the first 3 digits of the left display and "0 62" should appear in the right display. The last two digits of the left display are the value you want to change (it is "50" on my MZ-N707, but write this number down!).

6). Press VOL + repeatedly until this reads "7B" (you can press VOL – if you go past it).

7). Press PAUSE

8). Exit the service mode.

That's it! All buttons function normally.

UPDATE: After testing the M-Timer and Personal Disk Memory options, I determined that only the M-Timer option actually functions correctly. So far I haven't been able to use the Person Disk Memory, although it is listed in the menu and appears to be operational. It is really not.

Guest Anonymous

This hack is perfect for the MZ-R500! I always wondered if there was something like this out there. Anyone who thinks it would be better to just go out and buy a 900 machine is nuts. It took me all of 5 mins to do the mods, and I've never even messed with service mode before. I've noticed no adverse reactions to the hack. It does add a headphone/line out switch which wasn't mentioned in the instructions. Ah, the beauty of mass production... (Now only if I could get my fiance to give it back to me :wink: )

i did the hack and i don't like the way the sound settings 'sound.' i think they sound way shittier. i'm using the headphones that came with the r700 and a pair of the new sport style ones...but if the players sounded better with out the hack, you think i should change it back?

or am i missing something? do you absolutely need the lcd remote to access the other functions?

kyle

i did the hack and i don't like the way the sound settings 'sound.' i think they sound way shittier. i'm using the headphones that came with the r700 and a pair of the new sport style ones...

well in that case you should try listening to ur r700 on like better headfones 2 c if this is the case (say the mdr-e838's will b suffice or if u can manage 2 get a pair of e888's then that would b even better :P but otherwise u should try ur sport style earfones)... if on these headfones they do indeed sound worse then you should undo wot u did in the service mode....i'v tried the hack myself on a r700 and i think it sounds the same....

and no you do not abosolutely need the lcd remote 2 access the other functions, u could buy 1 if u wanted to but i c no point in doing so other than it being able 2 access some other functions that the r700 remote can't...

Guest Anonymous

Hey, guys,

I've been playing around with my MZ-N707 trying to get this R900 hack to work.  It seems I have finally found the problem.  In order to get this thing to work, do only the second step of the hack and skip the first one.  In other words, do the following:

1).  Enter the serice mode.

2).  Press VOL + -- you should see "MANUAL" displayed on the left and "0 00" on the right.  

3).  Press PLAY -- you should see "Laser" on the left and "0 10" on the right.

4).  Press VOL + 5 times -- you should see "F Code" on the left and "0 60" on the right.

5).  Press PLAY 2 times -- you should see incrementing numbers in the first 3 digits of the left display and "0 62" should appear in the right display. The last two digits of the left display are the value you want to change (it is "50" on my MZ-N707, but write this number down!).  

6).  Press VOL + repeatedly until this reads "7B" (you can press VOL – if you go past it).  

7).  Press PAUSE

8).  Exit the service mode.

That's it!  All buttons function normally.

UPDATE:  After testing the M-Timer and Personal Disk Memory options, I determined that only the M-Timer option actually functions correctly.  So far I haven't been able to use the Person Disk Memory, although it is listed in the menu and appears to be operational.  It is really not.

Are the NetMD functions still working if you twaek MZ-N707 to MZ-R900 :?

Guest Anonymous

Ok guys. I found something new.

First of all, i figured how come I have Mic Sensor and you guys do not.

My first value is not F7 but FE. The article should be updated shortly.

For the N series reset- Every model has a different reset procedure, and I do not own one as for now. But don't worry about it. Eric is trying to fix me one, so I can start hacking the N series too. I don't know how Erics timing is going, but from the time I get the unit, it should take max. 1 Month.

As for the PERSONAL function- IT WORKS BUT,

as you all know, the 900 has a FLAT battery. That means that

a) the user doesn't change the battery frequently

b)if his batteries run out, he usually charges it or plugs in the AA part.

The significance of this is that the unit has enough power to keep the memory alive. (or I'm wrong).

Just try it out. Do some wild stuff on the MD (like a playlist), run PERSONAL, take out the MD and put it back. You will see the PERSONAL show up again and setting up the values you saved. The rpoblem is that the AA battery works differently (after about 10 mins it TOTALLY quits using the battery) so it clears the Memory.

And about the Mic sensor, according to Eric the 900 has extra circuitry on the Mic in, so we believe that the Sensor won't work. Try it out people and tell me if it works.

I guess that's all.

And for the N series hack, try it out yourself, but once I get the unit ill write a paper on everything.

and if somebody screwed up their R series unit, im in progress of writing a paper that shows how to reset and adjust everything back (hey, once you reset the EEPROM you lose everything, inluding the laser settings!! But don't worry, the unti has an auto adjust feature :)

See ya!

Guest Anonymous

what a wicked hack, can't belive sony didn't just leave it like that in the first place. My old mzr55 remote now works perfectly, back light and extra feature and all....One happy customer :)

I did this hack on my R-700... and all i can say is... DO IT!!!

it upgrades everything.. and it is worth it...

the sound is better.. and you have more control over it... (bass and treble)

the speed up and slow down feature is WHACK!!

and the melody timer.. well... it saved me from missing my stop on the train...

anyway.. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!!! :D

Guest Anonymous

Genius! Pure Genius!

I don't know if sound changed at all for my R500 but it just threw me a whole crapload of options in the menu (including LINE OUT MODE, like another guy said). I was afraid to do it but it really works, and it was too easy!

Some things to note though (for the R500):

*since it has a shorter matrix display (only 6 letters)- it will not show the last digit for the M-timer settings.

*no one mentioned a "BEEP" submenu- what does it do? (2 options- 'ON' or 'OFF')

*that's all.

Also, it's really important that someone writes a restore procedure- for those 'just-in-case' cases- one that works no matter how screwed up the settings become.

And 1 last thing- on the R500, is there a way to access the sound equalizer settings (treb & bass steps)? It does not have a remote jack, so I say how?

Guest Anonymous

Genius! Pure Genius!

I don't know if sound changed at all for my R500 but it just threw me a whole crapload of options in the menu (including LINE OUT MODE, like another guy said). I was afraid to do it but it really works, and it was too easy!

Some things to note though (for the R500):

*since it has a shorter matrix display (only 6 letters)- it will not show the last digit for the M-timer settings.

*no one mentioned a "BEEP" submenu- what does it do? (2 options- 'ON' or 'OFF')

*that's all.

Also, it's really important that someone writes a restore procedure- for those 'just-in-case' cases- one that works no matter how screwed up the settings become.

And 1 last thing- on the R500, is there a way to access the sound equalizer settings (treb & bass steps)? It does not have a remote jack, so I say how?

The beep and the personal disk memory doesn't seems to work in my mzr-500 unit so does anybody has a different experience?

please tell me.

Thanks

I get no beep or sound, nothing at all, with the M-Timer. It just blinks like this '(((0)))' and the music pauses for awhile. Is it supposed to beep (BEEP is already turned ON)?

it might be because you have an R-500

because it works fine on my R-700 but i also have the R-900 remote... the RM-MC11EL, its quite easy to find.. but it cost me $196AUD

Another thing: this might have already been mentioned but with the R500, this hack removes the BASS submenu and replaces it with a SOUND submenu, which is basically the exact same thing but instead of having BASS1 and BASS2, it's called SOUND1 & SOUND2.

Dark, what sound is MTimer supposed to make? And do higher up units beep whenever you press a button to change settings, like digital walkman's do? My R500 makes absolutely no sounds at all on its own, except the music on the disc.

Csidinim, M-Timer is a timer that you can set from 1 minute to 99 minutes and there are 3 different melodies to choose from...

Melody 1 = Classical 1

Melody 2 = Classical 2

Melody 3 = Beep

yeah.. on my 700 there is a function called 'BEEP' - it creates a beep sound whenever you do something either on the remote or on the main player... but while paused it continuolsy beeps... so i turned it off because of the annoyances...

SOUND1 and SOUND2 are Bass&Treble presets that you can choose from... so its more advanced than just Bass1 and Bass2

Bass and Treble adjustments are in 8step... thus giving you more precision over fine tuning ur listening... :D

I guess that's where it differs between a R500 & a R700.

Since on my R500, it only shows up to 6 letters, I only see Timer0 and not the 2nd digit.

And no, the BEEP feature is useless for the R500. On or Off, there is no difference, so maybe that's why the Melodies have no sound either.

And SOUND is exactly as I described. There are only 2 steps: SOUND1 and SOUND2, and they do exactly the same thing as BASS1 and BASS2. It is not more advanced, maybe because there is no way to try it with a remote, but if there is another way to access the 8-steps on a R500, I'd like to hear it.

So, that makes half of the extra features on the hack useless for the R500. And I bought it for $180 a year ago. :(