11/21: Wild MZ-R700/R500 Hack

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

I was wondering if there is any hack to be done on the older MZ-R70, since I heard that the MZ-R70 was made close to the same time as MZ-R90 and MZ-R900. Some info would be much appreciated.

Guest Anonymous

Well, thank you so much, Peter. The most useful new feature for me turned out to be auto track mark - before it was a major pain to ff through freshly-recorded piece 70 minutes long, now there are 14 5 minute ones. Happy :)

And did someone say - bulky? I'm not sure as to where you are trying to fit it into, but it is small, lightweight, and has the (arguably) best buttons layout, which makes it perfect for live recording. I wouldn't mind having N-10, though...

I was wondering if there is any hack to be done on the older MZ-R70, since I heard that the MZ-R70 was made close to the same time as MZ-R90 and MZ-R900. Some info would be much appreciated.

No. R90 and R900 are a generation apart... Even the high end R90 doesn't have 8 step bass + treble, or any of the new stuff in the R900.

FYI, the R70 is R90 generation :)

Guest Anonymous

I have only had a R700DPC for a couple weeks and found out

about the R700 >> R900 hack last night. After much thought,

I tried it.

It was soo easy! It was cool seeing the menus...like laser, etc.

I recommend the hack to anyone who can stay calm and

follow the directions. You get a load of extra features.

Question: Can anyone figure out how to hack into the Bass

and Treble features with the R700 remote or keypad??

Also, has anyone been able to get the "Phrase bank" to work

on a R700??

thanks for the help... Michael L

Question:  Can anyone figure out how to hack into the Bass and Treble features with the R700 remote or keypad??  

Also, has anyone been able to get the "Phrase bank" to work  

on a R700??

sorry michael.. there is no way to do it, because the R-700 doesnt have a screen on the remote.. and to access the speed up, bass and treble, and other feaures like that u need an R-900 remote (RM-MC11EL)...

i picked mine up for $196AUD... obviously in australia

so.. ur best bet is to find a remote.. u could try something like e-bay...

Guest Anonymous

sorry michael.. there is no way to do it, because the R-700 doesnt have a screen on the remote.. and to access the speed up, bass and treble, and other feaures like that u need an R-900 remote (RM-MC11EL)...

i picked mine up for $196AUD... obviously in australia

so.. ur best bet is to find a remote.. u could try something like e-bay...

I have been looking for a RM-MC11EL....found one for about $50US.

That's a bit high for me now....Christmas and all coming up.

Would it be backlit running on a R700? also, could a MZ-R55

remote do the same thing?

I bought my R700DPC open box and it came with a RM-MZ3R

remote for some reason. The remote wasn't working perfectly

when I got it, so I opened it and fixed it.

I was wondering if I could modify this remote and add the 2

extra buttons? the hack page has the ohms for each buttons

so it could be possible..?! right? anybody think so?? have any

ideas?!

very interested in this... Michael L

Guest Anonymous

OK, THERE IS NO WAY TO MODIFY THE KEYPAD.

The buttons are much beyond service mode. YOu would need to re-write the whole software, and I think you all know what that means. Desolder, find out how the thing is written, write a program, upload it (if that's possible) solder in, pray to Satan that you didn't do any bugs. But while youre at it, why don't we just add ALL hte r900 capabilities (sigh...)

As for the name bank... In the service mode it is nowhere to be seen (and believe me, iv'e seen it all). Either i'm blind, or it's hidden excactly on the opposite site where i'm looking for it. It would help if iv'e seen the thing in action. Actually, it would help even more if I had a r900.... :)

(But that just spoils all the fun ;)

SCMS... EEEGH? That's handled internally, no options about this either.

NEWS:

Iv'e just sent Eric the paper for HOW TO RESET the MZRx for you people that broke their units by playing in Service mode (though as I am seeing, not a lot of people actullay broke thier units. The people that did I guess are to ashamed to talk about it..). Be up soon

I have been looking for a RM-MC11EL....found one for about $50US.

That's a bit high for me now....Christmas and all coming up.

Would it be backlit running on a R700? also, could a MZ-R55

remote do the same thing?

I bought my R700DPC open box and it came with a RM-MZ3R

remote for some reason. The remote wasn't working perfectly

when I got it, so I opened it and fixed it.

I was wondering if I could modify this remote and add the 2

extra buttons? the hack page has the ohms for each buttons

so it could be possible..?! right? anybody think so?? have any

ideas?!

very interested in this... Michael L

Yes, the baclkight works even when running it on the MZR-700, if you get a MZR-55 or an MZR-90 remote u cannot use any of these features bacause they were added in to the new series... so therefore... the extra buttons wouldn't be on the remote...

MOV1, the people who broke their MD units with this trick didn't break MZ-Rxxx units, or at least that what it seems to me. The people who messed up their units are like me and got frisky with an MZ-Nxxx recorder. (Yes, somewhat stupid, I know. Something went weird with mine when I tried to reset the values; I got in service mode, and suddenly all the buttons on the unit stopped working WHILE I was in service mode. Dammit.) I hope Eric gets you that recorder hook up soon, NetMD has made me lazy and I'm out of practice recording things in realtime. Anything I can do to help you out? If you want, I might be able to hook you up with a (dead) MZ-N707 that is (theoretically) fixable if reset...

OK,

I know that MOST people broke the N series, but still, this guide is not only for people that broke it doing my hack, but for ANYTHING that they messed up in the service mode (while for example playing around).

About the NetMD- it's on it's way as we speak. I hope the mail service won't mess-up anything...

And about the values that another guy is proposing in an another thread of the forum:

Sure, they'll work, since the numbers are in ascending order, and os are the functions. I gave you gouys those values, because they give the most functions, but if somebody want's less, because he doesn't like some, go ahead-They'll work perfectly.

Guest Anonymous

Hi,

with the N707 you can get following features:

Personal Disk Memory (remembers volume, program play, equalizer, and speed settings for 20 discs).

M-Timer (an alarm clock settable in minutes -- so you don't miss your train stop).

Auto time mark (inserts a track mark every 5, 10, or 15 minutes during recording).

Titling in Japanese Kana character set (as well as the normal Roman alphabet).

microphone sensitivity (HIGH/LOW)

selectable audio output modes (Headphone/Line Out)

Adjustable playback speed (from -80% to +110%).

All buttons function normally.

I don not care for any modifications you do on your MD-Player:

Warning: These modifications require that you enter service mode on your unit. It is easy to render your machine inoperative in this mode. I make no guarantees that this will not happen to you! Proceed at your own risk. If your machine does not display the values indicated, exit service mode by removing power -- this procedure may not be suitable for your machine.

These modifications are made from the keyboard, proceed as follows:

Run from the AC adapter or a fresh battery.

Unplug the remote.

Display Description

The MZ-N707's LCD display has two sections, the dot matrix field on the left where titles are displayed, and the 7-segment section on the right where numbers (e.g. time values) are displayed. We will refer to these respectively as the "left display" and the "right display".

Enter service mode:

Set the "HOLD" switch on.

While holding down the VOL - key like a SHIFT key, enter the key sequence:

>>| >>| |<< |<< >>| |<< >>| |<< | | | |

i.e. FF FF REW REW FF REW FF REW PAUSE PAUSE

Release all keys.

If you have successfully entered service mode, the display will alternately display the firmware version in the left display and a screen with all LCD segments lit at about half second intervals. This work was done on a machine showing Ver 1.300.

Change Setting 1:

Press VOL + -- you should see "MANUAL" displayed on the left and "0 00" on the right.

Press PLAY -- you should see "Laser" on the left and "0 10" on the right.

Press VOL + 5 times -- you should see "F Code" on the left and "0 60" on the right.

Press PLAY -- the first 3 digits of the left display should be continuously incrementing. The last 2 digits of the left display are a value in memory that you want to change (it probably reads "A0" for the MZ-N707 and "??" for the MZ-N505, but write this number down!). You should see "0 61" on the right.

Press VOL + repeatedly until the last two digits of the left display read "FE" (you can press VOL - if you go past it).

Press PAUSE

Change Setting 2:

Press PLAY -- you should again see incrementing numbers in the first 3 digits of the left display and "0 62" should appear in the right display. The last two digits of the left display are the value you want to change (it probably reads "50" for the MZ-N707 and "??" for the MZ-N505, but write this number down!).

Press VOL + repeatedly until this reads "7B" (you can press VOL - if you go past it).

Press PAUSE

Exit service mode:

Remove power plug or battery.

I hope it does it also with the 505. (please write me an e-mail with the ??-Factors)

The NetMD-Transfers are not affected by this modifications.

Sorry for mistakes (I'm german)

rio17@web.de

Guest Anonymous

w00t! Guest, whoever you are, I thank you!

I knew absolutely nil about what I was really doing, but just now I tried Guest's instructions, with much trepidation, on my MZN-707. I followed the instructions exactly and slowly to make sure I didn't make any mistakes. The result? Success! Everything works perfectly and the added features are indeed there.

If any of you are considering the hack on an MZN707, I say do it! But do it carefully and slowly. Don't make a mistake!

Again, thank you thank you thank you!

Guest Anonymous

I don't know if Iposted correctly. I own a mz-r700 and i am wondering if any one has figured out how to change the setting for the memory systems. What i mean is that as most people klnows that there is g protection in the md right?. What people don't know is that the g protection is only activated when it receives a shock!(when tou bump it to make it skip. All the othern times it is using a 60 secound shock prtection. that means it only accesses the md every 60 secounds for loading 3-5 secounds of music data. Now after all te explination the new net md's have a 95 sec memory buffer. does any one knows how to change the settings so that I can change the memory buffer? perhaps to a 95 secound or longer? I hope some one else knows how or if that it even exists. Thanks to the insane hackers.

**Note: To those who want to know alittle bit more the G-protection is only accessed when you try to bump it.(as mentioned above) Once activated it will access information every 3 sec. for 1 sec. (reads 1 sec for every 3 sec) This will go on till you don't skip it any more. Basically that is the low down on the g-protection. 8)

About the previous post about the G protection:

The G protection is handled internally in the CMOS and it is impossible to change the routine. That would also need a software re-write, and I think i told everybody what that means on the R series. iN the N series however, there is a software uploader, but people from OpenNMD are playing with those, so ill just wait for them, unless i find something VERY interesting.

Guest Anonymous

I am just wondering does anyone know what all the menus mean? ie manual, opt ajt etc. and actually has anyone actually crack the code for the thing yet so that you know what all it all means??? I managed to find out that there are quite a bit of differnces between the n505 to the n707 small but very similar changes. If any one knows what all the changes do please post us. And actually if anyone owns a N1 and has alot of time can they please post all the settings ?To my understanding you can not change anything setting wise as long you don't press the pause button! Also if anyone has a r900 can they post all the settings too! This way people can better analyse the system and hopefully figure it out. if this dose not work someone please tell me! But hey it dosen't hurt to try it!

Yes, I AM ACTUALLY MAPPING EVERYTHING in the service mode as we speak. There are no manuals whatsoever that do this, so I'm on my own. I still have a couple of things to crack. If anyone knows what does the Japanese word

-Keisu

mean, please mail me.

i do japanese at school... and i believe it means 'chair'

but.. i will ask around for u next week...

For the past week iv'e been fighting with my MD for the last thing that isn't in my hack- The Date/Time stamp. ANYONE, I BEG YOU, HELP PLEASE! If anyone has a 900 or similar, please, can you give me ALL your values from master functions 0,5,6,8 and 9. Until I don't have that, i don't think the hack is finished. Also can anyone try out what does the value 0 64 (SysFlg- clearly stands for System flag) do and what value does it have on a 900 or similar.

Hope i can get some reply. Please, people with 900 and so on, I think the people that have lower models wil be forever thankfull for this.

With regards

M0V1

This hack is impressive -- my 707 just got a lot more interesting. smile.gif

Unfortunately, I have to add in my observation that Personal Disc Memory is not working for me. Whenever I have a disc in and choose to make an entry, the system seems to work; when I choose "Erase", it finds an entry and erases it. However, when I remove the disc and then reinsert it (regardless of whether or not I'm using battery or AC power), the unit seems to lose the entry. If I go to PERSONAL and choose ERASE, the system blinks "No Entry!" for a couple of seconds before going back to sleep. I wonder if perhaps the memory layout and power usage of the 707 precludes these values from being retained?

It's a relatively minor negative in the midst of a lot of positives. Thank you for the work on this; I would love to hear/see more of the engineering effort that helped uncover these features.

Yes, I AM ACTUALLY MAPPING EVERYTHING in the service mode as we speak. There are no manuals whatsoever that do this, so I'm on my own. I still have a couple of things to crack. If anyone knows what does the Japanese word

-Keisu

mean, please mail me.

if it's in katakana, KEISU means Case. smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

I just did the hack on my N505. I tried personal disc memory as you suggested and it did not work. I have an N10 also so I know what it should do and although it seems to accept the entry, it does not live through the disc change.

Hi, that last post was me, but not logged in. I also tested melodytimer on the N505, as the R500 was reported in this thread as not having beeps in melodytimer. On my N505, the melody works fine. You get a funky electo melody to wake you up before your next train stop.

Guest Anonymous

Well, after "hack" mi MZ-R700 all those new functions where avaible but... Now I can't charge my battery!! :shock: Please, someone who has hacked his unit please tell me if it is due to the hack, or it's my problem. Thank You. sad.gif (sorry about my english, I'm spanish) :wink:

Guest Anonymous

I can't charge my battery neither, but I have a mz-r500 wink.gif, in this unit there's no beeping funcion, there's no battery charging, there's no Bass and Treeble control.. I want THAT! hehe, I've made a remote control (with some resistors and switches) for my MD (the unity has a flat remote control connector inside battery's compartment), and If I press the sound key for more than 2 seconds (as 900's manual says) nothing happens *sight*. I want to know how works the values in that service mode, I nees a map or something equivalent. Excuse my english , I'm Spanish too. you can mail me at Schrei@wanadoo.es

Guest Anonymous

Inside battery's compartment there's a little hole, and u can view a little connector with four coppered pins, you have to put a resistor between pin 1 and 3 (RVCC and Rkey), There's a table with the values of the resistor for giving a key-function (for example 2,4k Ohm for Sound function from 900's manual). It's only for educational propposes, My remote control isn't useful at all. If you see at Service Manual's diagrams , you'll find more surprises smile.gif

Greetings.

Guest Anonymous

Hi there!

I've done this hack and everthing works fine

i get those all new features, but i found a problem

for my surprise when i've try to write a track name and all

caracters look like chinese :x

I change everthing back to normal and it was all Ok

my MD is a MZ-R700 PC

Does this happen to anyone or i made some error?

Greetings

Hi there!

I've done this hack and everthing works fine

i get those all new features, but i found a problem

for my surprise when i've try to write a track name and all  

caracters look like chinese :x  

Greetings

thats no problem!!!

its an added feature.. you can now write in Japanese Kanji characters... if u just press Pause to change to Capital Letters and Simple Letters.. it will work

lol... thats funny that u didnt realise..

Guest Anonymous

Well, after "hack" mi MZ-R700 all those new functions were avaible but... Now I can't charge my battery!! Please, someone who has hacked his unit please tell me if it is due to the hack, or it's my problem. Thank You.