11/21: Wild MZ-R700/R500 Hack

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

I just put F1 and F2 there becuase they have no effect on my unit. There is no F1 and F2 on the walkman itself. But I am quite sure those values should represent some functions not avaliable on MZR500.

Sound should be some diagnostic stuff. You shoudn't be able to change anything over there.

I just discovered the pause button's function in titling songs today- it only took me about 2 years! I used to have to scroll through the whole damn thing to reach 1 letter, and it was a pain going from capitals to lower case.

That brings me to another point. When scrolling through the japansese characters, there is a lot of slowdown after holding down the scroll key for more than a couple of seconds. The characters will end up scrolling very slowly until it reaches the next set, then repeat; but not for the english alphabet. Today, my unit shut off by itself while I was scrolling like that. It was weird. It was an R500 btw.

ok tried it and it worked ..don't be scared just do the hack with the n707 carefully cause u don't want to mess up and they haven't hacked the thing yet or even have a service manuel to change everything if evertything went haywire like my last r500 did....for no reason...if it goes hay wire when u turn it back on u'll c something like proo...orsomething like that...and it just won't work....but that hack worked..with the changed the A0 to FE and the 50 to 7B....it gave some more features...but the others it ddidn't cause it already have them....and that's y it messed up the bottons if u did the hack for the RXXX series....so don't try it..but if u did just like did for experiment sake...just use...group cancel as ur shift and work the rest out.. :idea:

Guest Anonymous

Ok, We'have changed the values from 061 and 061 but..What's the meaning/function of 063 and over items in Service control? smile.gif

Normally 063 should be S00. But if you customized your unit (ie by changing 061 and 062), it will automatically change to S01. If you change it back to S00, then next time when you turn your unit on, all functions will reset. For my R500, 061 goes back to S10 and 062 to S20.

For other items starting with 1,2,3,4,5,7,9, they are all related to mechanical and power adjustments within the unit. I wouldn't want to alter that. For items 6xx (SOUND), you can't change anything, 'cos it will not save any settings, you may try. For 860 onwards to 896 (Vbl NV), I think they affects the ATRAC operation, the recordings sound different if you change it's settings.

thats no problem!!!

its an added feature.. you can now write in Japanese Kanji characters... if u just press Pause to change to Capital Letters and Simple Letters.. it will work

lol... thats funny that u didnt realise..

nice!..........now to learn japanese..............

Guest Anonymous

I followed this hack primarily to work out how to reset my MZ-G750's factory settings. The radio simply will not tune any more. Instead it resets my volume to zero (remote's volume controls also not working).

Anyway, I can't get into service mode to reset the settings. Does anyoneone know where I'm going wrong. or how best to fix my radio, or where I can get a spare remote/radio.

Guest Anonymous

To laticsmon,

I think you need to re-do the power adjustment carefully. Follow the instructions on the G750/R700 service manual chapter 5-5. For this you will need to open the back cover of the walkman and a voltmeter. Because the G750 requires different PWM Duty settings.

you can .. cant you?

No. I can set it to manual level ,but if I stop recording it return to automatic level .And this is very anoying.That's why I am looking if there is a hach for this.I already have hach both machine whitout any problem, but no way to set recording level to manual by default.

To all that care:

I am FORCED to stop my hacking research for a indefinite period of time.

You probably wonder why this happened. No, I didn't get a mail from Sony or something, it's less complicated. Yesterday, somebody at scholl just slammed the door right onto my face. Fixing my nose, thought it was nothing special, but when i turned my MD on, something didn't sound right about my SOUND settings. So i took it out of the pouch and discovered the brutal truth. My LCD display got SHADDERED when i got hit. Yes,yes i cannot see anything on the display now, and i can't conitnue. IN here (poland) the part will cost me about 150 Euro, and that's almost the price, i'll pay for the new one. Unfortunately, i don't have the money for any of those. As far as I know, the remote doesn't display anything when in service mode, so i can't use that, but if I'm wrong please correct me. I don't know if i'll ever have a new one. So as for now, It's all up to you guys, that have been supporting and giving your share to the project. I hope you will pass on the torch...

As for people that can ask me questions, ill still be more than happy to answer those, but I won't post any new foundings, simply because there will be none. Maybe in some future time when i get a n707 or the new generation of that line

Hope you will undestand...

Sincerely

M0V1

Guest Anonymous

Guest wrote:  

Hi there!  

I've done this hack and everthing works fine  

i get those all new features, but i found a problem  

for my surprise when i've try to write a track name and all  

caracters look like chinese  

Greetings  

thats no problem!!!  

its an added feature.. you can now write in Japanese Kanji characters... if u just press Pause to change to Capital Letters and Simple Letters.. it will work

Is there anyway other than the above to turn this option back to the default English

Guest Anonymous

Who know the detailed numeric settings in N1's sevice mode? I think collecting these original settings is really helpful for us to hack the machine.

I've hacked my 707 following these steps, but Personal Disk Memory doesn't work and setting play mode on remote seems to be something abnormal. I think it is relative to the altered value. Maybe we can improve these tricks by studying the settings.

Who know the detailed numeric settings in N1's sevice mode? I think collecting these original settings is really helpful for us to hack the machine.

I've hacked my 707 following these steps, but Personal Disk Memory doesn't work and setting play mode on remote seems to be something abnormal. I think it is relative to the altered value. Maybe we can improve these tricks by studying the settings.

i think Mov1 knows. but he cannot do any more work on his project because of what happened to him at school...

see above for what happened...

Guest Anonymous

Hi:

- I had a problem getting into service mode. Turned out that the headphones must be unplugged (even though there's no remote on the 500 's headphone jack!).

- Using another poster's function list (thanks Sam!) I set the first value at B0, which gives me "sound + beep" and not katakana titling. It disables the useless (on the 500) "Audio Out" selection. I'm not sure the Beep need to be kept, but it might be necessary for the alarm.

- The alarm does work on the 500, you just don't get a melody. Instead the music just stops, which works just as well for me. The only problem is the units digits for the timer doesn't display. What I do is back it up until I see a "9" then click one forward for each minute if it's less than 10. For times greater than ten minutes, just click forward until you get the tens of minutes correct, and count the clicks to set the units digit.

- The Personal Disk Memory works fine on my '500, but I expect it will get wiped out when the battery goes dead. I've got two MD's registered and it resets the Volume and Sound settings when it sees them. I expect you could add a capacitor across the battery to keep the memory alive if it's important.

- The timer track marking works great! This is very valuable to me when I record a long radio program. Saves adding the track marks later!

Great Hack!

Cheers,

Bob

Guest Anonymous

Ok, If you look at 500's Service Manual, you'll see that Beep function is deactivated (and many other functions like charging battery..) by hardware. You can try connect a remote control in a flat connector which is located inside the battery's compartment. (it has 4 pins). I gave my mz-r500 to my girlfriend, so I can't say you more about it. I bought a Mz-n505 last week, I've read in a web that this unit has the same motherboard than mz-n707, I Hacked it, and the hack works fine too, I'm waiting now for more tricks and hacks hehe.

Maybe the R500 don't need the remote to change the 8-step bass and treble like my N707.

When playing a song, or paused while playing, the option "set sound" appears in the menu, will will allow you to change the bass and treble of the current sound set(sound 1 or sound 2) selected. Maybe it is the same on the R500, so I suggest you give it a shot.

biggrin.gif I did the hack for my MZ-R500, its so awesome. I did notice two interestings things about it. I titled some of my disc in katakana, then when I put the same disc in my home deck and edit the title, my deck will scroll through all of the katakana characters available even though katakana titling is not possible on my home deck. Also when I put the same disc in my old MZ-E40 it displays the titles in romanized form like this ^MIKADO^ instead of the katakana characters. Also I wish of a way to title with kanji, as Japanese uses a combination of them both. biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

this procedures works on mzr 501 (PC ver, but the unit is the same, only the package contains usb adaptor). it works as it works on mzr 501. great. Moment of fear (i have my new MD since yesterday - warranty not validated yet smile.gifbiggrin.gif

OK, N707 hack'd, all appears OK, noticed thing on PGM, it appears to work (lowered the speed via RM-MC10L remote) and saved setting. Let the MD go to sleep, played and setting remained. BUT, when i remove disk and insert again to play, setting is lost. So looks like the capability to carry out the function is there, but the MD cant then remeber/recognise the settings of the disc...

oh, this is on ver. 1.400 if that helps

anyone got it working ????

well after a few tests I can confirm that the AUDIO OUT setting makes a difference between headphones & line out. Line out producing a much cleaner, louder an crisp sound.

Cant say I can notice any difference on the MIC sens as yet, but then Im using a crappy Compaq PC mic from work. I'd like to know if anyone has tested this using a quality mic and how it compares on a n707 and to a n1

like the jap text option, def. adds to the funk !!

anyway, big up yourself to all that have contributed to the hack and other usefull info posted here. Its taken me time to get into MD, but hopefully I'll be able to pay some back in the near future...

Guest Anonymous

I found a service manual for the MZ-N707 and I was trying to use it to manually set the NV settings after a NV-Reset (Tip.. never do a NV-Reset)

However, the display doesn't quite match with the text in the manual. The manual says to do this according to the version number and the manual's version number is 1.0 while mine is 1.4

Does anybody no where to a service manual for ver 1.4. Or possibly someone with a working MZ-N707 could list the values (guessing only the ones that are listed in the Service Manual would be required)