11/21: Wild MZ-R700/R500 Hack

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

And it's worth its weight in GOLD!

Fixed level non-eq line output? I've lost count of the times I'ce screamed across the room to adjust volume - now I can just assume the vol. is correct on my amp. And the M-Timer will, I know, save a dinner or two from burning in the future.

Excellent Thx!

Guest Anonymous

umm has anyone done this with a 707 with version 1.4? I would be happy to try this as long as it does not change my button config and it will work on the 1.4 version.

anyone?

Guest Anonymous

yeh, 707 works with v. 1.400. PGM doesnt work tho, not too sure about MIC sensitivity either, but have yet to try in proper environment. It shoud affect your button config. as long as you dont change any values you shouldnt...

Guest Anonymous

yeh, 707 works with v. 1.400. PGM doesnt work tho, not too sure about MIC sensitivity either, but have yet to try in proper environment. It shoud affect your button config. as long as you dont change any values you shouldnt...

update - SHOULDN'T affect your button config - mistyped...!!

Guest Anonymous

Anyone dare to try any physical hacks on their MZ-r700?

eg adding the necassary power mod for personal disc memory to work

adding a syncro rec switch

adding the sound button off the remote (or any other u fancy)

buying the flat sony rechargable battery, hacking the plastic back off with it's ugly bulge and screwing on a tidy aluminium cover

even buying a wrecked 900 off ebay and transferring the guts of your 700 into its sleek case. there were a few going cheap last week but i missed em

it's all out there! i've been thinking alot about it, just need someone with the knowledge of the electrics.

Think about it, you could get better than anyones, not what you get but what you WANT.

Anyone already done something simalar?

how closely related are the 900 and 700?

opinions please!

Guest Anonymous

it may be that you just need the lcd to see what's going on and you can adjust the setting by following the instrucions exactly.

could be.

What i really really want i discover today is to modify it to produce a full line level output when required, it's far too quiet when plugged into my stereo.

Not entirely sure what's required to achieve this end, how does the 900 manage it?

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I know. I tried to put a resistor to simulate a sound buttom in remote connector and it didn't work. I'm sure, a LCD remote is need it, I don't know why, but it's need it.

Guest Anonymous

i did the hack and i don't like the way the sound settings 'sound.' i think they sound way shittier. i'm using the headphones that came with the r700 and a pair of the new sport style ones...but if the players sounded better with out the hack, you think i should change it back?  

or am i missing something? do you absolutely need the lcd remote to access the other functions?

kyle

Your are problably right I don't dare trying it.I just know that the sound mode in the n707,wich I gave it away immediatly,is worse than the old megabass mode,the basses sound awful!So I don't know what would happen if I try.The new feature probably reduces the EQ bandhwidths and so you cannot control the range of say 180Hz anymore,but only a wide setting,say from 50 to 300 in the whole.Shelves instead of peaks,you know.

Guest Anonymous

For the MZ-R501, setting 867 to S67 and 868 to S01 enables Type-R encoding. Since R501 uses the same DSP IC with R500, R700 and G750 (CXD2671-204GA), you may be able turn on Type-R for these units as well. I have an MZ-R910 and compared the recordings, I believe that Type-R was really activated for my MZ-R500. I can't be 100% sure of this, but at least the recordings sound cleaner than before.

Have fun!

P.S. I don't know if it works for R900 as well, it has a different DSP IC (CXD2671-202GA).

Guest Anonymous

Hey sam where did you go to activate the type-r setting? i have the 700 so i'll try it and post my results.

Can anyone tell me anything good that can be done with the audio settings in the service mode, i don't do any messing round in service mode much. maybe i should.

ps, i recon the new bass settings are better, they're cleaner and more subtle

Guest Anonymous

Hey sam where did you go to activate the type-r setting? i have the 700 so i'll try it and post my results.

Can anyone tell me anything good that can be done with the audio settings in the service mode, i don't do any messing round in service mode much. maybe i should.

ps, i recon the new bass settings are better, they're cleaner and more subtle

Do whatever you do to get into the service mode. Press Vol+, Vol-, Vol-, you are now in 800. Press Play then Vol+ 5 times, then press Play for 7 times, this get you to setting 867. Use Vol+/Vol- to change the value to S67, then press Pause to save. Next press Play once (to get to setting 868), change the value to S01 and save. Then press Stop several times to go back to main menu.

To hear the difference between Type-R and normal ATRAC, you would need a very good playback system. I prefer using a unit with proper line out and connect to a good stereo for comparasion.

Guest Anonymous

it still plays just as well as before - relief cause i'd have to borrow my mates md to get the orig values again,

tomorrow i'll make a new recording of the pixies in stereo and compare it to my other md of this album

Thanks sam for this interesting hack, have you got any others?

Guest Anonymous

the testing tone for type r would be useful. Although my comparason revealed little difference, it was cleaner and (maybe), but this could be caused by other factors, i don't have good enough minidisc player for the difference to be apparent. Still, it's p[retty good, maybe the testing tone will reveal all

Guest Anonymous

Just wanted to add another thumbs up to the diligent work on this hack! Sorry about your MD unit.

I've got a 500 myself and the ability to use shuffle without repeat is worth the hack alone! A little note after messing with this feature: It appears that with the 500, the unit loses track of what songs it has already played if you press Stop at any time during your program. Someone else please confirm this, I have tested this feature by skipping through all tracks randomly on my unit, and it finally does end with no repeats. If I press stop, it 'forgets' the tracks it has already played and will cycle through all of them again.

--frog

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Bejaysus, IT WORKS!!!

This is brilliant! At last I can program my R500! biggrin.gif

The Japanese text had me frightened for a minute, then tried Pause and released the breath I was holding. Tried changing things around using Sam's list of functions, and was able to get rid of useless things like Sound (prefer seeing the 2 marks for TEH D0UBL3 B4SS!!) and the Katakana text - Beep never worked for me, but I didn't want it anyway (it'd drive me cracked).

:?: Question: Does the Personal Disk Memory eat battery life? I'm not really keen to experiment with this aspect of the hack! wink.gif

Fantastic hack, all plaudits to Peter Maksymiuk (Mov1)!!

• 2 weeks later...

Do whatever you do to get into the service mode. Press Vol+, Vol-, Vol-, you are now in 800. Press Play then Vol+ 5 times, then press Play for 7 times, this get you to setting 867. Use Vol+/Vol- to change the value to S67, then press Pause to save. Next press Play once (to get to setting 868), change the value to S01 and save. Then press Stop several times to go back to main menu.

To hear the difference between Type-R and normal ATRAC, you would need a very good playback system. I prefer using a unit with proper line out and connect to a good stereo for comparasion.

So this is a seperate hack aside from the regular convert-to-R900 hack? If so, does it really work, do you have the test results? If so, can you write out an official and accurate step by step procedure? I won't be confident altering my unit yet again until you are confident of this discovery. Thanks.

Guest Anonymous

i really need help, Im from canada so were basically all hicks. I have windows xp and an mz-r700 in the manual it doesn't show how to record or basically do anything with the md unless you have 98 2000 or ME

PLEAZ HELP sad.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I tweaked my r700 and want to be able to adjust the sound settings (bass and crap) but can't do it with the standard remote and I'm going to shell out the money for an RM-MC11EL, but I've stumbled upon an RM-MC12ELK which seems to be an upgrade for the RM-MC11EL for just a few more dollars and I was wondering whether anybody could tell me for sure that it can still adjust the sound settings and whether it's any better than the RM-MC11EL.

It's different

English texte are stretched and there's space between each character

The resolution is higher, allowing the display of kanji

And the headphone jack have been moved to the ends of the remote where the stop button was on the 11EL

Build is slighty better than a 11EL