11/21: Wild MZ-R700/R500 Hack

Rate this topic

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I just used the hack on my MZ-R500 too, and, yes, it works perfectly! Thanks for this incredible info, Peter! smile.gif

Just one remark: instead of pressing "Pause" as the last step of "Change setting 1" I had to press the >> (Forward) button to continue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I just used the hack on my MZ-R500 too, and, yes, it works perfectly! Thanks for this incredible info, Peter!  :)

Just one remark: instead of pressing "Pause" as the last step of "Change setting 1" I had to press the >> (Forward) button to continue.

I used the hack on MZ-R500 some months ago and most of the new features work, except Personal Disk Memory. Are you sure it is working on your MD? Did you check it?

Guest Anonymous

w00t this works..amazing...got a couple of extra features on my MZ-R700 now biggrin.gif also charging still works on mine..some pplz said it stopped working on theirs :S? also..if i buy the MZ-R900 remote will it work fine on my hacked R900??

• 3 weeks later...

i would like to now if the sound settings can be change via service mode. :rolleyes:

i would like the mz-r900 owners to do this:

-turn off the sound;chek all the service mode values and write them down

-select sound1;chek all the service mode values and write them down

-select sound 2;chek all the service mode values and write them down

-add +1treble to sound1 or 2; chek all the service mode values and write them down

-add +1bass to sound1 or 2;chek all the service mode values and write them down

it would be much more easy to navigate thru the service mode menus using the play buttun.

please post your results ,thank you :grin:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have a mz-r700pc and did the hack to upgrade to a 900 model, but on finishing. i couldn't exit service mode. if i go to 0.24 assy, the spinning disc icon is missing now. have i ruined it? is there something i can do? will i have to go to a sony service outlet?

• 3 weeks later...

wish i had the time to fully help u.here's what go to minidisc.org...n look back in the history for posts to the site i think late 2002...u'll find some links towards hacking the mzr series...or u can check out the link to the service manuel. http://minidisc.org/manuals/sony/sony_mzr7...r700_manual.pdf .when something like that happened i had to reset everything....NOTE!! when in service mode..unless u pressed "pause" = save in service mode then nothing's really changed..and to exit service mode u should disconnect power or take out the battery.. :cool: good luck

yeah i did this a while ago but none of the new features seemed to be any use, probably havent played with it enough yet.

but anyway, when doing it i managed to change all the letters to name the tracks to jappaneese or something.

how do i reset the unit? im sure its there somewhere but 15 pages is a lot of reading.

Cheers.

sorry forgot to say its a 500

ok so u've changed some settings...n don't know the original settings..well..here's a link to resetting the entire os..after doing this u can do the hack again... http://minidisc.org/sony_mzr_reset.html ...oh n it works just follow the instructions fully please pay attention to point 6 in the Auto Adjust Section about the power ..u MUST do it K..

had some digging up to do boy.. :smile: :wacky:

• 2 weeks later...

any news on regaining the charge mode of a hacked r-700 ?

its quite a common occurance when using hte hack on the 700 md

any ideas??

any news on regaining the charge mode of a hacked r-700 ?

its quite a common occurance when using hte hack on the 700 md

any ideas??

I had never had any problems with my unit hacked... And I assure u that the unit is charging correctly since I went on holidays to Lloret de Mar in Sapin for a week and never had to recharge (and listened to the MD frequently during the trip) :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

woodeeee, there is a relatively simple procedure to undo the hack: in the service menu, go to menu 63 and change the the value from 1 to 0. Don't do this unless you are comfortable with navigating around in the service menu.

The procedure described by crazeybt1 is WAY too radical and is probably very dangerous w.r.t. messing your unit up permanently.

hey me again smile.gif

I was just wondering if anyone has had expiernece with the MZ-R500 in terms of real time recording?

I've been trying to record the hope of the states album onto mini disc all day but the bloody thing keeps turning itself off mad.gif and this keeps happening even if i put it on LP2 or LP4 which is meant to leave it going for 80 and 160 mins or whatever.

can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Ian

if ur recording using batteries r u sure nothing's wrong with them..

or if ur using ac adaptor r u sure it's not disconnecting every now n then?..

i doubt it's something to do with the unit

n when it stops does it stop while recording or just b4 u start

n when it stops recording does it read "rec err"?

hey it turns itself off whilst recording - so it gets through about 3 songs and then half way through number four it just goes off without saying anything on the LCD. My batteries were brand new, and I used different sets.

I was thinking its the auto shutoff kicking in cos it keeps happening around the same time, but surely whilst in recording mode this should disarm itself? The first few recorded tracks always record fine btw.

I'm puzzled

auto shutoff????uhh i highly dout it's that.. that only works when the unit is idel for a period of 3 seconds when not connected to the adaptor n bout 3 mins when it is.... ne who

i believe something might b up with ur disc.. maybe it's dirty or something..or even bent .. i doubt ne thing's wrong with the lens cuz u said that it recorded some tracks then stops in the mid of track 4.. if i were u i'd try leaning the unit in different angles or sides while recording n c if that does nething and if ur not using an ac adaptor try using 1 if possible

I had a similar problem when my MZ-N510 was hacked. The hack caused the battery indicator to show more battery power than was actually left. This resulted in shut-offs during recording over USB (when current drain is higher than in playback).

This problem can be fairly simple to avoid, just make sure that the highest bit of the value in register 61 is not set when hacking.

• 2 weeks later...

woodeeee, there is a relatively simple procedure to undo the hack: in the service menu, go to menu 63 and change the the value from 1 to 0. Don't do this unless you are comfortable with navigating around in the service menu.

The procedure described by crazeybt1 is WAY too radical and is probably very dangerous w.r.t. messing your unit up permanently.

does this cure the charge problem? or is it just another way of ressetting the eeprom? coz resetting the eeprom doesnt seem to fix the problem...

? :wacky:

• 1 month later...
:ninja: Ohh Sh#Te I F'ed up my MZ-R500 worked fine for the longest time stored it in my glovebox took it out manny moons later and FUBAR, maybe it had nothing to do with the Hex settings but at this point its probably a cluster of factors, i think i just might have to send it to SOny to fix :ninja: but from what i understand itll cost me atleast 100$ maybe ill wait and get a new 1

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the forums.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that the alarm doesn't work on the R500 because of lack of memory on the unit itself.

I can confirm this is correct. The music cuts out as if you had pressed pause, and no alarm is heard whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have been unable to enter service mode on my MZ-R700PC.

Have tried many times - anyone got any ideas?

Get flashing HOLD in display until I release the VOL- key, then display goes blank.

(no release level info displayed) so R700 just remains in normal mode.

Should there be a disk in the unit when trying the Service Mode sequence?

I'm stumped!!

mad.gif

It works if you key the sequence faster!!

You get the new features as well.

Thanks to Peter for his work on the eprom patches and sorry for wasting everyone's time.

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Edited by terryjh

• 8 months later...

Although this was probably covered,

I just ran through service mode and made some changes to the MZ-R500, good stuff although this thread has been posted for a while. Definitely worth the $10 for the portable! :D

The only drawbacks to the modification; the display is too small to show all of the context (the countdown timer will show only per-10 minutes). Also, the model has no ability to generate a tone - but will mute playback.

• 5 months later...