Sony Insider Forums
Sign in to follow this  
darK (aka Tharaka)

Wild MZ-N707 Hack

Rate this topic

1. In order to sell 'higher spec' machines at higher prices.

2. Personally, no (on R500, G750 as well as N707). Others, I think have entered wrong settings.

3. Yes, or should be, if you enter the original settings.

4. No, unless you enter the wrong settings. Most extra things work perfectly and you don't lose anything.

5. You need the LCD remote. pressing display for more than 2 seconds takes you to the speed control menu.

Guest Anonymous

Any type of remote as long it has LCD? Because I have a couple of remotes that are from mz-r50 and r-55.

I tried it with my N707. Work's fine for me, but my question is, how can I use the signal output switch (headphone <--> line out) since my N707 doesn't got a jog-dial.

Please let me know

(From memory) You can get it from the normal using the standard buttons. Go to the Audio Out item in the menu and change from Headphones to Line Out.

Right, I did the hack on my MZ-N505 and it worked like a charm. I did it mostly for the line out and pgm functions. I was really missing those on this new unit (I had an MZ-R3? before, can't remember exactly, gave it to my brother on loan), although pgm wasn't on my previous one either (which I always thought was a miss on Sony's part).

So I'm very happy with this hack, great work!

A few things don't work, however, and these are:

:arrow: The function S-SEL just gives a reply SORRY when I select it. What should/does this do on other units?

:arrow: I'm guessing P.D.M. is the personal disk memory and, going on what has been said here by others it won't work on my unit. What exactly does this remember? All the settings you do?

:arrow: And of course I have no remote to try the speed setting, but I'd never use that anyway.

:arrow: And possibly some things I haven't tried yet...

I think S.Select is only available on the remote.. It's the 8 step sound preset.

Personal Disc Memory remembers the volume, sound setting, and.. and.. damnit, i've forgotten.. Probably the speed setting, too.

(From memory) You can get it from the normal using the standard buttons. Go to the Audio Out item in the menu and change from Headphones to Line Out.

I can't find it in my normal menu functions :cry:

Maybe looking over it sad.gif but don't think so

--------edit

Know what the problem is

I didn't complete the total tweak but only changed the second value

(062 S50 :arrow: S7B)

Just a couple of minutes ago I found out the other values that has to be changed

(061 SA0 :arrow: SFE)

It also changes a bit of the visualisation of the service menu, but that's a detail.

I recommand the tweak to everybody, but do everything slowly and be sure you're doing everything the way you have to do it.

hey guys...I don't think the line out function works anyway. I don't think the player has the hardware required to make the shift. Now I guess it's possible that it is equipped with the hardware to make the shift, but then why wouldn't Sony have enabled it as a factory setting considering that they sell the unit with a car kit? My MZ-R700 doesn't have the hardware for a line out; all that happens when i turn it on is the bass and treble changes are turned off. Volume doesn't change or anything.

Guest Anonymous

I hooked up my NZ-707 to an Altex ATP-3 computer speaker system and played one song with headphone output/bass and treble off/volume up max, and again with line out enabled. The sound is *much* clearer and louder with line out than with headphone.

Tom

Guest Anonymous

I've hacked my N707. All features work except Personal Disk Memory! Someone said that their N707 can't use Personal too. Who can tell me why? Is it according to version? My machine is ver 1.100.

Can you get it now, Babbel? I forgot to mention that it doesn't work with a remote plugged in!   :oops:

Everything is working fine now, but I think it absolutely necessary to unplug your remote, I’ve entered the service mode with my remote (RM-MC10L, European version with display) plugged in and everything worked fine.

---add on

I looked back at the previous post and found out that you didn't mention the service mode but the switch between HeadPhone :arrow: LINE OUT.

I had found out myself that you can't change the setting when you've plugged the remote. Later after reading back some posts I found out that that what's you ment is stead of entering the service mode.

I've hacked my N707. All features work except Personal Disk Memory! Someone said that their N707 can't use Personal too. Who can tell me why? Is it according to version? My machine is ver 1.100.

My version is 1.300, but Personal Disk Memory won't work. I've heard it before that this function didn't work properly with this tweak.

Guest Anonymous
sad.gif I guess we can't have it all. I wish someone would able to find out how to work the p.d.m. Time will come.

You can use the 55 and 90 style remotes on the newer models just that they won't display some features. Like Bass 1,2 etc. The newer remotes when plugged in to older players have buttons that are not used but still work? Does anybody know if the 750 remote works on a 707, with radio? It only works on some 900's and the 750.

Guest Anonymous

First off, I had firmware version 1.100 prior to the hack.

1) Melody Timer.

2) Line Out

3) Microphone sensitivity (not tested because I don't have a microphone, but the menu option comes up).

4) Personal Disc memory (yes, it does work, although I've only tested it on 5 fiscs).

My 707 was purchased in Canada if that makes any difference.

Tom

And here`s a step-by-step way to do the hack, just to clarify some stuff:

1: Entering Service Mode:

Set the "HOLD" switch on.

While holding down the VOL - key like a SHIFT key, enter the key sequence:

>>| >>| |<< |<< >>| |<< >>| |<< | | | |

i.e. FF FF REW REW FF REW FF REW PAUSE PAUSE

Release All Keys

2: The display will alternately display the firmware version in the left display and a screen with all LCD segments lit at about half second intervals.

3: Let`s start changing settings (NOW BE REALLY CAREFUL, DO STRICTLY AS STATED HERE, YOU SAVE CHANGES WHEN YOU PRESS PAUSE!)

4: Press VOL + -- you should see "MANUAL" displayed on the left and "0 00" on the right.

5: Press PLAY -- you should see "Laser" on the left and "0 10" on the right.

6: Press VOL + 5 times -- you should see "F Code" on the left and "0 60" on the right.

7: Press PLAY -- the first 3 digits of the left display should be continuously incrementing. The last 2 digits of the left display are a value in memory that you want to change (it probably reads "A0" for the MZ-N707 and "??" for the MZ-N505, but write this number down!). You should see "0 61" on the right.

8: Press VOL + repeatedly until the last two digits of the left display read "FE" (you can press VOL - if you go past it).

9: Press PAUSE

10: You have now saved the changes you made to the first setting, now, lets get on with hacking the second value

11: Press PLAY -- you should again see incrementing numbers in the first 3 digits of the left display and "0 62" should appear in the right display. The last two digits of the left display are the value you want to change (it probably reads "50" for the MZ-N707 and "??" for the MZ-N505, but write this number down!).

12: Press VOL + repeatedly until this reads "7B" (you can press VOL - if you go past it).

13: Press PAUSE

14: You have now saved the changes to the second setting, and you`re finished with Service Mode

15: Exit Service mode, by removing power plug or battery.

16: Start you MD and check that it works OK ( If it doesn`t work, then try setting the values back to A0 and 50 or whatever your values were

17: Test out the new stuff: M-Timer, Line-out, set playback speed, mic sensitivity

Now I know it`s exactly the same as the first post here, but it`s more newbie-friendly with step-by-step, also please note that I don`t take any responsibility whatsoever for this hack. I don`t guarantee my cut`n paste to be error free.

Neither do I guarantee for your warranty!

Guest Anonymous

Hey Guys, i can get a MZN707 Net MD or a MZR909, but i just dont know what one to get, i have mostly all my music on my computor and i know that the MZN707 uses the USB Port to get music of the computor. but i dont know how the MZR909 gets its music, i know it doesnt have a USB so how can you get music of the computor? if you can get music of the computor, can you please explane how you do it

Thanks, James

use the soundcards analogue out (or optical, if you hav eone) , into the R909s line in, press record on the R909, and play on a music player on your computer (such as winamp). It's a real time transfer though.

Guest Anonymous

First off, I had firmware version 1.100 prior to the hack.

1) Melody Timer.

2) Line Out

3) Microphone sensitivity (not tested because I don't have a microphone, but the menu option comes up).

4) Personal Disc memory (yes, it does work, although I've only tested it on 5 fiscs).

My 707 was purchased in Canada if that makes any difference.

Tom

Tom, are you sure that your hacked 707 can work with Personal Disc Memory? I 'm really concerned about that.

BTW,setting play mode on remote seems to be something abnormal after being hacked. Does anyone notice this problem?

Guest Anonymous

Just wondering here - if you used any of the available pc programs to speed up a sound file, then uplaoad it to a 707 and play back at a slower speed - stay with me here...

would you be able to get 400 mins in LP4 on 1 80 min disk.

If so, how would it sound?

Everso

Just wondering here - if you used any of the available pc programs to speed up a sound file, then uplaoad it to a 707 and play back at a slower speed - stay with me here...

would you be able to get 400 mins in LP4 on 1 80 min disk.

If so, how would it sound?

Everso

now... just assuming.. that you did slow it down on PC

i would say that you could play back at a slower speed and get a longer time.. i havent done any calculations.. so i'm not sure what time you could get...

but it would be possible..

i'm not sure how it might sound..

it could be a little to fast or a little too slow..

but if u get it working..

post here again and let us all know how it went

If you don't want the Katanka Input, enter for item 061 'FC' instead of 'FE'.

In the other "hack"-thread it is mentioned to enter 'FD" instead of 'FE'. Although this will work, it will change the keypad's functions(so don't do that, like I have).

Ok, I have edited my post, because my discovery was actually not an discovery.

Anyway I will just post here how to revert back to your original keylayout.

When enabling F1 for the n707, for example when entering for item 061 'FD' in service mode, the keypad changes like this:

play: vol +

stop: vol -

prev: prev and play

next: next and play

group: group (but is now the shift button!)

end search : stop

vol +: end search

vol -: end search

enter is now gone, but you can use menu instead of enter.

The prev and next, now including play, won't interfere when going back to your original settings, because:

[*] when entering the service mode sequence, pressing play does nothing

[*] in service mode pressing prev and next does nothing

So to revert back do the following:

[*] enter the service mode sequence but now you use group as the shift button

[*] do the same thing as before in service mode but while navigate through the menus use next instead of play

[*] enter at item 061 'FE' for katanka support or 'FC' without it

[*] press pause, remove power source and relax

Disclaimer: Proceed at your own risk. I am not responsible for any damage caused by following these instructions, however it should be safe when executing them properly.