Wild MZ-N707 Hack

Rate this topic

databoy2k, I think that the problem with the allegedly dead battery during song transfer can be related to bit 7 of register 61 (value 80 hex). On my MZ-N510, setting this bit causes the player to indicate more battery power (also adds a 'PwSave' option in menu OPTION/POWER) than with the bit cleared.

The problems with PDM could be related with the possible lack of a required memory chip on some models (I have the same problem, PDM never really worked).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I got the hack to work on my MZ-N505. It is great!! The MTimer feature is excellent! I was wondering though, if someone woul put up a guide on how to use all of the features. I think that my MZ-N505 now cranks louder (volume), because before it was pretty wimpy even with my studio headphones..... I would suggest that everyone should do this to their MZ-N505/707 series MD player. As long as you follow the instructions it should work fine.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

When are people going to realize that Sony skimps on their headphone amp outputs to save battery power at the expense of sound quality. Most Sony devices output only 5mW per channel. Yesterday I compared my Sony portable CD player D-465 to my Sharp MD player MD-MS200 with Etymotic ER-4P canalphones and the Sharp sounds so much better even though it's compressed music. The sound from my Sony N505 can't even come close to touching the older Sharp MD. This is because it's output is 10mW per channel. Twice as much as the Sony's. For comparison, the iPod outputs 30mW per channel. Unfortunately, to compete on battery life Sharp is also reducing the output of their amps to 8mW per channel. This is still more than Sony and should still be the winner in sound quality.

Also, equalization is basically there to compensate for poor headphones and/or amp. Pair a good headphone such as the etymotics with a good portable amp and plug it into a line out on your portable and an unequalized, flat frequency response output coming out of the portable will sound AMAZING. In fact, you will come to realize that the bass boost will just make it sound more muddy.

Is it really to save battery power? I've read a lot of comments explaining that the limited output is required by law to protect your hearing.

B.T.W. There was a nice thread last week about increasing the output power:

http://forums.minidisc.org/viewtopic.php?t...?t=2620&start=0

Apparently normally there are 22 ohm resistors in series with the audio outputs, which can be shorted to increase the output power. This means that with the resistors the output impedance of the audio is also at least 22 ohms, which is quite large compared to the impedance of some typical earbuds (32 ohm). Ideally the output impedance should be 0 ohms.

Perhaps the muddyness you describe can be explained by the high output impedance.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hello,

i did the hack the the german dude said, it worked but the sound set has disapered of the menu. the audio out setting between line out and headphone now toggles the sound funtion on or off ... any suggestions? ive got version 1.300.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Not sure if anyone has posted this,

But I am pretty sure you can easily access service mode with no problems (with N707) using the remote IF you use the "stop/chg" button instead of the "vol -" on the player, and enter the code with the remote. (At least thats what it says in the service manual that I have, so don't blame me if it doesnt work.)

Not able to test this right now b/c i can't find my remote, but if I find it before any other brave souls test it, I will let you know.

Also I think I may have seen someone post that they were looking for the N707's service manual. I have it in PDF format if anyone needs it. It may be too large for an e-mail attachment, but e-mail me if you need it and we'll work something out: raintheory@hotmail.com

-Aåron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

i have 505 and the P.D.M. function works just fine with me

I hate to break the news to you.  The P.D.M. has been unsuccesfully working for everyone that hacked their 505/707 units.  None of them has worked.  

:cry:

Guest Anonymous

Well, after serious thought and after reading all of the posts on the hack, I nervously decided to attempt this exercise. I pondered the question for a long time, before thinking about entering the forbidden "service mode". But, since I primarily use this thing for my car, I badly wanted the "line out" function. I felt I was ready. sad.gif

So, I practiced, took a deep breath, and did it. What a great deal. It works great. Line out is sweet. biggrin.gif No more fiddling with various volume or sound controls. My car deck handles everything like it should.

I have a MZ-N505. I followed the directions carefully and it worked fine. The version of my unit turned out to be 1.4. Setting 1 was 80 and Setting 2 was 10, just like they said.

What fun! For those waiting... wait no more...just do it! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

I did some hack meant for the 900... Obviously I misunderstood the instructions.. and well, all my buttons are different, and can't access the service menu whatsoever. Well my md was just off the wall before anyways, it would never record correctly, and each time I played a disc without locking it, it automatically erased it! Hmm, time for mp3cd player...

Guest Anonymous

i just did the hack on my n505, and i lost my bass boost function.. also theres an option call "s-sel" and when i hit enter, it says "sorry" and i cant do anything.. other then that it works fine.

thx for putting out this hack, the output feature really helped me out.

Guest Anonymous

After the hack, "bass" is now "s-sel". The two settings seem to provide the same bass effect as before. When you set it to "line out", the "s-sel" or bass effect cannot be adjusted. It makes sense, "line-out" defeats the volume and sound controls. In "line-out" mode, the sound is flat and the volume is maxed. Adjust these sound settings with your car deck or whatever output device you're using. If you want the bass effect back, change to headphones and try "s-sel". You'll see the two bass settings are back.

I wish there was a way to get the 505 to "remember" the "line out" setting after a powerdown. It defaults to headphones. It's a pain to go back and reset it everytime you powerup.

i just did the hack on my n505, and i lost my bass boost function.. also theres an option call "s-sel" and when i hit enter, it says "sorry" and i cant do anything.. other then that it works fine.

thx for putting out this hack, the output feature really helped me out.

• 3 months later...

The "line out" function is for playing the music through a powered amplifier. If you connect the MD to an amplifier, use the "line out" function because it sets the volume to max and flattens the bass and treble. This is because amplifiers have the ability to change the bass treble and probably other effects internally.

-EDIT-

I did the hack and it perfectly worked. Thanks wink.gif

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i screwed up my mz R900 ( :love: ) by doing some stupid thing in the service mode and i lost all the extra options like the mzn707 has *(speed, memory bank, etc.) blink.gif

now i have a mzn-505 and i tried to hack it but my battery was low so i was left with a dead mz-505 and a.. hey!! let hack the mz r900, its already messed up :rasp:

and now it works again and i've got the katasomething signs :laugh: lol

so this works great with the mz r900 and when i get home ill trie it on my mz-n505.. guess it'll work :grin:

I hacked my MZ-N505 yesterday and am reasonably satisfied with it.

Only complaint: the S-Sound settings do not provide the same quality of bass boost the old BASS function did. Oh well.

More to the point: Before, on the old, pre-hacked 1.400 firmware I could not rename, move or delete tracks or MDs that were made using NetMD, recieving the error "TrPROT".

Now, with the hacked firmware, I can do as I like with these tracks; I no longer have to connect to my PC to edit these discs.

Perfect! Only thing I don't like is having to use a friends remote to get good sound. LineOut is nice tho. smile.gif

I hacked my MZ-N505 yesterday and am reasonably satisfied with it.

Only complaint: the S-Sound settings do not provide the same quality of bass boost the old BASS function did. Oh well.

More to the point: Before, on the old, pre-hacked 1.400 firmware I could not rename, move or delete tracks or MDs that were made using NetMD, recieving the error "TrPROT".  

Now, with the hacked firmware, I can do as I like with these tracks; I no longer have to connect to my PC to edit these discs.

Perfect! Only thing I don't like is having to use a friends remote to get good sound. LineOut is nice tho. smile.gif

I too have a hacked N505 but cannot do what you say. All tracks transferred to the MD via SonicStage will give me teh track protected error. That is why I only use the nero/simple burner to transfer them.

Did you change anything besides what is specified in the walkthrough?

i followed the instructions exactly.. i got 80 and 10 as preset values, and replaced them with the one states in the FAQ.

Mind you, I did play around with the other values for a bit (earlier in this thread somebody gives a very helpful list that allows you to mix and match new features)in order to combine the old BASS sound with LINEOUT. (before I was able to get my hands on a suitable remote.)

Perhaps the unknown "F2" function listed in the table of values is the one that unlocks the NetMD track protection? Who knows.

Im still unconvinced by the new SND-SEL menu, with B and T on their highest settings. I would say the old BASS sounded better, although I dont want to compare cuz i wud probably lose my settings and need 2 borrow that fuckin remote again. Oh well. Any other thoughts on this?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

I've just complete a hack on my Sony R900 to Reset the NV in the unit and also to perform some alignment tests, all done in Service mode. My problem now is that I cannot get out of Service mode. I've tried removing all power, battery, and adapter, but when I put the battery back in, I come up in Service mode again. Can't get back to where I can play Minidiscs. Anyone have an idea how to get out of Service mode from a Sony R900 (besides complete removal of power, which isn't working)?

Craig Peterson

cpeterson3@aol.com

• 3 years later...

Oh my god :-(

I bought my MD from the internet, and thought I'd try this hack.

Got into service mode and did all the bits, then found that there were only two menus available USEFUL containing PlayInfo and SpeedCtrl and OPTION containing Earguard and PowerMode.

Tried to get back into service mode, and then it dropped.....

I've got a MZ-N710....

It showed the version 1.5 I think when it first worked and it still plays, but I can not get sound menu or anything else. I memorised the numbers A0 for example, but when panic set in, I forgot them :-(

It won't get me back into the service menu, even using the group button as the "shift" key :-(

Hoping someone may be able to help a very new "minidiscer" get his shiny (if a little scratched) blue N710 (I'll NEVER forget that number now... ) working again ...please?

TygerB

What you need is the service manual, which does not seem to be easy to find. The people who claim to have them via Google [ MZ-N710 "service manual" ] don't look all that trustworthy.

Thank you. My eyes are bleeding from trying to find the answer to this :scratchhead::-)

At least I have the original codes for 0 61 and 0 62 which are 20 and 64 respectively, found whilst going through 710 threads.

I just cannot get back into the service menu. Someone even had the luck to get in by using the remote, but my remote has non-standard button actions and was not in proper working condition when I got it (tried cleaning contacts, so it's not that)...

I have tried using group button as shift and also the vol- button, which worked initially. The machine still plays, and play FF RW and stop/pause work, it just has no real menu stuff... I haven't tried recording with it yet.

Tyger...not feeling so Brightly :mega_shok:

• 1 month later...

Thank you. My eyes are bleeding from trying to find the answer to this :scratchhead::-)

At least I have the original codes for 0 61 and 0 62 which are 20 and 64 respectively, found whilst going through 710 threads.

I just cannot get back into the service menu. Someone even had the luck to get in by using the remote, but my remote has non-standard button actions and was not in proper working condition when I got it (tried cleaning contacts, so it's not that)...

I have tried using group button as shift and also the vol- button, which worked initially. The machine still plays, and play FF RW and stop/pause work, it just has no real menu stuff... I haven't tried recording with it yet.

Tyger...not feeling so Brightly :mega_shok:

Hello there

I have the same problem: no drivers and no instruction manual. I have MZ-N707. Did you have any luck in getting the drivers and the manual? Tx

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone.

I was wondering, if I do all these changes to my unit, what consecuences will that bring? if it turns out I dont like them would I be able to take the unit back to its original state? I really like my MZN-707, I think its my best Minidisc, I wouldnt want to ruin it :|.

thanks

Juan