[Q] About Microphone ..

Rate this topic

ar-

I have recently bought Sony MZ - 505

and just realise.. that the thing.. has only 4 jacks!

1. DC in

2. Earphone/remote

3. usb

4. Line in (optical)

i was wondering...

can i record sounds.. using microphone... with my md..?

but then again.. i dont have a mic jack.. or is the Optical Line in can be use..?

please help biggrin.gif

4 day noob here..

-ar

It is a small amplifier, generally run off a 9v battery, that boosts the signal from the mic to line level. thus enabling the mic to be used on a "line in" jack. I check and reactivesounds doesn't actually preamps. Only battery boxes. Battery boxes provide extra power to the microphone. This ensures that the mic is working at its full ability and dynamic range, it does NOT however boost the signal coming from the mic.

Check out this FAQ:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/micacces...batteryfaq.html

Hope this helps,

bilbo

Guest Anonymous

I am still confused about mikes...Before I return my unit...what again Can I buy--and what does it cost to do external mike recordings with this unit..or am I better off buying ??next model for recording lectures etc

thanks for help Stan

You'd be better off getting 'the next model up', ie. the N707, if you can swap it for your n505. The n707 has a built in mic input, whereas you would have to buy a pre-amp (a box which amplifies your microphone and costing at least $69) for your n505. So you'd have to bring 2 boxes to your lectures with the N505 (and lots of fiddly wires) or just the one with the N707.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hi I was just reading about this. I'm planning to buy an N505 and would love to be able to get stuff i recorded in the studio put onto MD, but would only really wanna record line in from a recording studio output rather than a mic itself... any suggestions?