Sony Insider Forums
MDX-400

Easy Optical out from your PC...

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

I'm using the Sonica USB audio card and an Mp3 players that automatically puts 2 or 3 seconds pause between two differents tracks.

My Sony NetMD S1 however, gets them , but adds a 0 second long track between the two songs!

That's really annoying...anyone knows why?

Everything is digital (I'm using the optical out).

Anidel

I use an Onkyo UD-5 USB to toslink converter. Unit works like a charm, can use it on any USB-enabled system, came with a copy of WinDVD for free, optical cable, one of those mini-toslink converters for use with portables blink.gif ...

and it only costed me 20 bucks at Fry's electronics! w00t! :laugh:

i know this thread is a bit old but as it's still sticky there's a chance of getting read.

Does anyone know how to access the spdif-interface of a sound card directly (for output)? i know there must be a possibility because dvd-programs write the ac3-stream directly (or don't they?). As this works with any sound card (with digital out, of course), there must be some driver interface over directX or something...

my goal is an application with that you can stack audio files (of any kind) that are then output over digital out. because i want to have direct access to every bit of the stream, setting of track marks is easy. this app should run in the bg, and playing audio over winamp or similar shouldn't disturb the recording.

btw... does anyone know what happens if you play something back in winamp or mediaplayer while a dvd app streams ac3 directly to spdif?

You can get an Chaintech AV-710 for cheap, excellent stereo card/optical (great 7.1 card too)

Comes with TOSLINK to 3.5mm mini-TOSLINK adaptor and a optical fiber too

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SC-710

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....-120-103&depa=0

So is there any way to record music on your PC, to the PC?

I have the music writing program called Sibelius, and I have written a piece of music... I want to record that Music as .wav or .mp3, is there anyway I can get the computer to record what the PC is playing?

What I did try, was plug my MD mic, into the MIC slot in my sound car, and then put the mic next to the PC speakers, and record it that way... but it was fuzzy sounding afterwards...

Any ideas??

Got to get it done my tomorrow!

totalr recorder & many others can record soundcard output before it gets to speakers

............................ ->speakers

source->soundcard/

........................... \ ->wav recorder

Oh ok!

Does anyone know how to do this with Adobe Audition? :S

What I ended up doing was I stuck my MD mic into the back of my PC, and then infront of my speakers. Get into Audition, then pressed record, played back the thing on my PC and Audition picked it all up... :S

I think it sucks that my Soundblaster Live! soundcard has a digital out jack but apparently I need to buy an expensive external connector box from Creative before I can connect my MD deck digitally. Analog only for now....

just run a short cable from the speaker port directly to the line-in on your sound card, as a looped device!

that's the digital out. never made much sense to me when the ide is hardly analog.

I think it sucks that my Soundblaster Live! soundcard has a digital out jack but apparently I need to buy an expensive external connector box from Creative before I can connect my MD deck digitally. Analog only for now....

is it possible you can use this;; i have one:

(http://www.creationengine.com/html/p.lasso?p=13731) ; or, an i barking up the wrong tree.

*Has anyone tried playing a dvd in the dvd-rom drive and recording from a usb>toslink adapter? I've several dvd's I'd like sound from...Thanks.

Now I realize how lucky I am to have a pc with optical out, as it seems not to be as common as I thought. I even have an optical in!

Recording from any source connected to the pc is a piece of cake! Ripped some nice sound tracks from classic movies, live concerts on dvd to md. And will from now on do so with audio cd's too, as I've come to the conclusion that Sonicstage or Simpleburner transfers are out of the question : as later edition of track, track title and so on are no longer possible!

Md rocks but only with the editing tools provided by hardware on the units, may it be a portable or a deck. So Gracenote (or WMP, even info sleeve when available for that matter!)only for looking up info, but manual edit with the smslike remote of my Hi-MD deck is the only real option. I want to be able to edit my tracks whenever I want!

Transfering from one Md to another I could try playing via USB trough SS and recording using the optical out, two Md players been needed, or importing (does the fact that the md has to be write-enabled corrupt it in anyway by the way?) and then recording through optical out. All this real time, damn well! Grr... What's the point of having a spanking knew USB2.0 certified unit?!

I think that when I will own a home sacd/cd/dvd deck, it will come in quite handy; it might even manage to keep me away from the pc -maybe not such a bad thing...

what brand soundcard do you have with "optical" I/O's?

mmmm;; how did my question get INTO you quote;; let me ask again..::

What brand soundcard to you have with "Optical" I/O's?

Edited by rayzray

*Has anyone tried playing a dvd in the dvd-rom drive and recording from a usb>toslink adapter? I've several dvd's I'd like sound from...Thanks.

Most of those little adapters will detect the "no copy" flag on the DVD audio, and the MD will refuse to record it. Believe me, I have tried. You can try and rip the tracks off a DVD as WAV with some utilities, though. (Don't know where to find them, so don't ask. :P )

I'm afraid it's part of the built-in features of my Asus T2-AH1 barebone pc and not purchasable seperately...

This thread is still going??? LOL. This thread was made way back in the day (by myself, btw) to help people get exactly what the thread title suggests. However, in this day and age I feel this thread is fairly pointless--pretty much every modern PC/motherboard will have a digital audio output built-in. Most of these are based on AC97 codecs and the like, therefore you don't get 44.1kHz output but rather the 48kHz rate of AC97, regardless of what the sound file you're playing is. (You can fool with stuff like kernel streaming and "ASIO" to try to get non sample rate converted audio, but usually you're stuck.) Still up-sampled-to-48kHz digital audio is going to be better than not having any digital output at all.

I don't think there are actually any decent computers these days that don't have digital audio out. So if you don't have that, your PC is probably outdated, lol. An easy solution would just be to get a more modern computer. Some motherboards require a simple adapter (plug-in type thing which mates to a slot connector) or dongle to get the digital out going, and these are usually cheaply available on eBay, etc.

This thread may serve the purpose of reference or perhaps helping those with older computers get a digital audio out for use with MD, but it's largely out of date now IMO. For one thing people are either using NetMD (MDLP or Hi-MD) to transfer sound to their MD so digital outputs aren't really as necessary or needed as before. Another thing to note is that the RH1 allows uploading of SP recordings, negating a digital input for transferring things to the computer.

As for getting sound from DVDs, as someone asked, that isn't that hard... However you need to output the sound in 2-ch PCM stereo, not one of the multi-channel DVD formats (DD/DTS). Once you do that you shouldn't have many problems recording the sound to an MD.

Yeah this thing is still listed at $200 US which is ridiculous! Especially considering if you bought an MDS-JE470 or JE770 when they were "current" models in the US they had a mail-in offer to get the PC-Link for FREE! (It was either mail-in or packaged with I can remember which).

With that price, the only people that probably have those things are those that took advantage of that offer when it was available.

Roland M.

Just a side note on the pc link and the creative sound card, using the link cuts any sound to your speakers. Which make it a bit difficult to monitor when doing real time recording.

-foolish

Wow. Talk about coming in from the cold. I have been in this MD scene since 1995. Not as long as some on this board. I used to sell these toslink transmitters and receivers for $10 each. I do not sell them any more. After 9/11/2001, my web server was destroyed in tower 2. That event did not destroy my web presence, but I just did not feel the same after that date. I had a few life altering events that made a lot of things less enjoyable for a while. I sold all of my supplies and stopped selling and contributing to the minidisc scene soon after.

I do have some plans that I can post for your use. I have to warn you that the web content that I post is in 1990's standards.

What most of my clients did was pull a digital signal off of a cd rom drive. You can also do this with a LED and some optical cable, but that takes a bit longer. I hope these plan are of use to someone.

Yes, MD is looking like a mature format. I see a lot of discussion about MD vs flash... I use both. Flash is so much better when you are listening to an audio book. I could not imagine lugging around 29 hours of Minidiscs...but I am not looking for HiFi with a talking head recording.

For the most part I do prefer MD. I have CDs and DATs, but the MD is most versatile. I still resample a lot of DATs for people and also convert LPs to CD. Sometimes I use the MD as an intermediate for easy editing if required.

At least we are not talking DATs here. Sony has stopped making them and it is not used as much now. It was very popular with professionals.

MD is still my favourite.

Linus

Yes, MD is looking like a mature format. I see a lot of discussion about MD vs flash... I use both. Flash is so much better when you are listening to an audio book. I could not imagine lugging around 29 hours of Minidiscs

You mean you can't imagine 'lugging around' one HiMD disc? :huh:;)

Hmm... great point. I never thought of it that way. I do not have a HiMD recorder or discs.

My recorded books are licensed files that time bomb after 21 days. Part of a Library subscription. Porting them over to MD is an interesting idea to think about.

You mean you can't imagine 'lugging around' one HiMD disc? :huh:;)