Record from MD to PC: Win NMD Version 1.3

Rate this topic

tmeg

Hi all biggrin.gif

I want to inform you that I uploaded the new version 1.2 of my app "win nmd". A very innovative new feature is freedb access for titling.

This makes the following possible (usage instructions):

1. record a CD via optical or analog connection from your HiFi CD deck to MD

2. connect the NetMD player to the PC

3. select all songs of the album and choose "Get album info (freedb)" from the context menu.

4. the songs on MD are named after the album information stored in the freedb internet database. (similar to cddb)

(this only works if the track length of the titles on MD are similar to the ones on CD and if you record all tracks of the CD and then select all songs of the album in the app)

The feature list from my website:

* Records and saves a number of individual tracks from MD on the PC as MP3 or WAV file.

* Optionally records a number of MD tracks as one file on the PC.

* Playback control of MD

* Titling and reordering of tracks

* Copy a list of the MiniDisc contents to the clipboard

* "freedb"-access, get title information for CD albums that are on MD

* Super easy titling in Japanese/Chinese, automatic code page conversion

* Languages: Chinese/German/English

I hope you like this new version.

Chris

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope.

Not correct :wink: Very basic support for transfer of OMG files is build in. But I suggest using Sonic and OpenMG as they do a better job on this. (e.g. progress bar) The command is in the context menu. (not the one for the title-list)

Well yeah, uploading is the main function, but I didn't know it can download from pc to md.  

I don't see how it can though...

Click next to one of the buttons at the top to get the second context menu (first one is for the song list).

There is command "checkout" (F3). it will checkout omg files. So they have to be allready created by OpenMG or so. Because of that and because of the missing feedback while checking out I recommend to use other programs for that at the moment. It also has no advantage in comparison with these programs.

To the question, if it will be possible to checkout mp3s in the future... I would like to add this, and I also have a guess how to do it, but it didn't work when I tried the commands. So I have to wait until someone else figures it out or until I have much more time to find out how to do it :wink:

chris

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried this combination successfully?

I have a laptop with no line-in, only mic input. When I connect my MZ-N1 to the computer using line-out and mic input and use Win nmd to transfer from MD to PC, the result is terrible - noisy, hissy, not acceptable at all. I was wondering, if I used the iMic, which bypasses the soundcard and connects to the USB, the resulting recording would be much improved?

Does anyone know if Win nmd will recognize the iMic as an audio input?

Perhaps Christian Klukas can shed some light.

thanks

Mitch

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

does anyone have this problem? Whenever I try recording the entire md to pc as one wav file, it's no dice. I have enough hard drive room and whatnot, but it just isn't working. whenn i look at the properties of the wav file it is creating, it maxes out at 99mb. i have a Windows 98Se crap computer. thanks for suggestions

I want to add, that I recently made some changes to the app. The "timings" for the recording should now be improved. In my tests I found that my app leaves out a maximum of about 1/10 sec. at the start and end of a song. (recorded song is a little shorter than on the original CD) The timings are OK for me, but if someone has the time you could do your own tests and give me details of timing problems might find.

I also made changes to some commands so NetMD decks might work better now. So if one of these points is important for you, you should update and test the new version (1.2.1164.36403).

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hi tmeg & Bazirker,

I notice that tmeg said that there was no advantage in downloading (checking out) OMG files to the NetMD unit using this app. Well, there may just be... can anyone answer these for me?

1) Does this app require the original MP3 (or whatever) to be present in order to check out? RealOne needs both MP3 and OMG present in order to download an existing OMG file. So it's a big plus if this can be done - no need to keep a load of MP3's on the hard disk! I REALLY want to be able to download existing OMG files since it's so much faster than converting format each time.

2) Does this app enforce Sony's (stupid) check-out rules like SonicStage? If not, it should be possible to copy OMG files across systems and use any PC as the master library. This would be very handy for me since I have a laptop and desktop PC.

Cheers,

Josh

• 2 weeks later...

Hi tmeg & Bazirker,

1) Does this app require the original MP3 (or whatever) to be present in order to check out? 

2) Does this app enforce Sony's (stupid) check-out rules like SonicStage?

Sorry for late answer.

1) no, you can checkout the omg files

2) unfortenately yes, I just use the checkout command from the NetMD api, checkout is not possible if the remaining counter is less than 1. So it behaves like OpenMG. But you do not see the counter with my app because I just added this for testing purposes.

Perhaps someday in the future I have a lot of time and fortune and get this thing hacked somehow. I am sure that it is not "unbreakable" :wink:

Best would be SimpleBurner like checkout of any file. So no track protection and no checkout hastle. But I have currently no time to investigate this all. I always promote m3u2sb as the optimal NetMD solution for now. Other than that use optical out from your CD player for true SP mode and super high quality and then my app for freedb titling. So MD is still very good and nice.

• 4 weeks later...

Now I'm confused... I downloaded the app but can't work out how you would go about checking files out (i.e. 'moving' them TO the NetMD player).

Josh

You can select the "checkout" command from the context menu of the app. Just click next or below to one of the buttons at the top. But as you need the OMG files (ATRAC encoded music), created by OpenMG or SonicStage, you can just as well use these apps for that. I included this only for testing and want to improve it later to let it work like SimpleBurner.

Another new thing is the Paypal-Button on my website, so I made it now very easy to support the development by donation. I plan to make the app compatible with NetMD decks and I also have some expenses and a lot of work for the development. I hope you all understand this move towards a more commercial solution.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all biggrin.gif

I just updated Win NMD. Now you can select the recording source inside the options of my app. So no need to open the Windows Mixer any more. The settings are stored and will be set each time you record a track.

This makes the usage of my app even more easy. Now you can also Cancel the recording if you made something wrong.

I think the new PayPal button for donation and download of my app is a good thing. This makes it possible to even enhance my app. E.g. I will soon have the possiblity to test my app with a NetMD deck. Thus compatibility will be enhanced in the future. The pricing seems to be good, the poll I added here a few weeks ago got positive responses.

The next thing I did, was enhancing language support, now I include a Chinese, English and German interface.

If you have ideas for enhancements or comments. Please post them here or mail me. Next I will try to work on a checkout solution without track-protection. But this seems to be not so easy.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

:idea: biggrin.gif Hello,

I just updated Win NMD. Now you can freely download and try out the software. If you like it and want to disable the Test-Version restrictions, you can easily activate the software. Edit: I disabled these "try out" option. Sorry. But my app now shows if the player is recognized after installing. But to use the app you need to "activate".

Now the software is completely translated to German and Chinese. You can now also save the files in folders, that have Unicode characters in the folder names.

I also made changes and tests, the Software should now work with NetMD decks. I tried it on a JB-980 without problems.

I hope you like this new version.

Edit: Hot new feature :!: :twisted: :!: Title the tracks using the DoubleByte area of the MiniDisc. Now you can title the songs using Japanese/Chinese characters. Just configure Windows to add the Japanese or Chinese keyboard setting and then type the titles. My software does all the codepage conversions automatically. Its great, I did not get this to work with OpenMG or SonicStage before.

Edit 2: Katakana titling is now even possible in the SingleByte area, which means you can use the Japanse alphabet to title the songs and the disc. This characters are displayed correctly also on the player itself.

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

It tell me to "buy" this program....

I think it's free to use.... I'm a student. I had no job.....

----------------------

What u think.... just mail me....

iwantnowar@hotmail.com :? :?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

this will let me record fron an external source and then copy it from my md 2 my pc cause sonic stage wont let me :cry: nice i was looking 4 software that would recognise the tmarks through optics but this would be much better

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, maybe this program will help me then.

(I have the NetMD Walkman MZ-S1)

I use this minidisc recorder to record post-game interviews at sporting events, using a microphone plugged into the LINE IN port.

Now, the problem I'm having is transferring the interviews from the minidisc player to my computer (so I can edit them using Sound Forge). I know there is an easier way to transfer the files instead of plugged the MD player into the "mic" port of my computer and recording the LINE IN on Sound Forge.

Can anyone help me on that? Will that program be my best bet?

Another thing that would be nice (which might be a feature on this new program) is the ability to listen to the tracks on the MD while using the NetMD Simple Burner.

Thanks in advance for the help.

• 1 month later...

Tsunami: That is impossible and would require a MD data drive and MD data disks.

olujosh: If you want to upload your tracks digitally, you will need a deck with a digital out and a soundcard with a digital in. These decks and soundcards can be found inexpensively on eBay and some retailers. Research on minidisc.org's equipment browser will help you if you venture down this route. Other than that, there is no easier way through your S1 than the method you are currently employing.

Can this application upload to the PC using a USB cable?

If not, then does it send the data exactly as it was stored on the Minidisc or just send the sound and the let the computer figure out the rest?

i.e. if I recorded a wav file on my PC, downloaded it to a minidisc and then uploaded it back to the PC with a different file name, would the two files be identical?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Can this application upload to the PC using a USB cable?  

If not, then does it send the data exactly as it was stored on the Minidisc or just send the sound and the let the computer figure out the rest?

i.e. if I recorded a wav file on my PC, downloaded it to a minidisc and then uploaded it back to the PC with a different file name, would the two files be identical?

Thanks

USB transfer is not possible by NetMD :cry:

So my app just makes it more comfortable to record to the PC, and it has some other features, too, like freedb album titling for albums on MD.

The next update (V1.3) will greatly improve on the timing, so the length of the recorded files will be similar to the source music files you transfered from PC to MD. But there will still be a very small offset. One source for this small issue is e.g. with LP4 there is a certain "step size" for the tracks, so it is not possible for the MD to use any song length.

The files will not be identical as WAV files are compressed, so even if you use a NetMD deck with optical out, the sound will differ somewhat. But with optical out and in (e.g. with the JB980) you should get the same music like on MD to the PC, but of course you get this also with any other recording app. (but in other cases you would need to cut and trimm the songs manually or be dependent on gap detection for the audio, which does not work e.g. for live recordings)

I hope this helps a little :idea:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I have bought the new Sharp DR420 Net MD recorder. Everything works out fine. BeatJam, Simpleburner and M3U2SB. (What a great programm by the way...)

Yesterday I found the Win NMD tool and I thougt what the hack I give it a try. I have seen te movie, installed every possible driver I can think of but it does not recognised my MD. sad.gif

It says: MD recorder not connected. System not compatible. Error 6.

E.g. Which version of which software do I need ???

Who can help me out..

P.S. Sorry for my bad English.

I have bought the new Sharp DR420 Net MD recorder. Everything works out fine. BeatJam, Simpleburner and M3U2SB. (What a great programm by the way...)

E.g. Which version of which software do I need ???

I got recently a feedback, that my app needs SonicStage to be installed. I assume, you need OpenMG or SonicStage installed, then perhaps the app will work :!:

P.S. thanks @mooter, nice that you like it biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I'll tell you what I want and you tell me if this program will do it.

I'm looking for a program that will let me import via USB digital music from a 510, 707, or 810. Will this work?

Thanks

Stephen

I'll tell you what I want and you tell me if this program will do it.

I'm looking for a program that will let me import via USB digital music from a 510, 707, or 810. Will this work?

Thanks

Stephen

OK :wink: : This is not possible (not with my app and not with any other).

My app makes it most convenient to (re)record from MD to PC. Besides that is has a number of nice features it can not circumvent Sony's decision not to support that with NetMD. (HiMD improves luckily at that point)