Sony Mz-N710 NOT VERY LOUD volume at all!!! Is it defective?

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi there,

I bought my mz-n710 from AV-Land the other day and when I started playing with it I noticed it was very quiet. Even if I turned the volume up to the full, it was very quiet compared to my portable shitty CD-Player. sad.gif It was so quiet, I could hear cars going by at the loudest passages while with my CD-player, I can't... and if I turn the volume up all the way, it distorts a bit. It has a 1.2mW headphone output amplifier. Is that too little????? Should I get a unit with a 5mW amplifier? Or do u think the unit was defective? Please, help me.

By the way, I tried different headphones... with the same result. sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

The guys at AV-Land were very nice and let me send it back. But if I get a different unit with a 5mW amplifier, will it be louder???? sad.gif I really liked the unit and I am very sad it was so quiet.

Roy from London smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

it is 32 ohms as far as I remember. Although, it is not stated on avland.co.uk, at other units, it is given with regard to 32 ohms. smile.gif

Jroy from London

what does the manual say? Can you check?

in any case it's pretty low.

Guest Anonymous

ok, 1.2 mW into 32 ohms for sure... Do u think it makes a difference if I buy a unit with 5mW into 32 ohms or even 16 ohms? sad.gif Are u guys happy with the volume levels of sony MDs?

Jroy from London smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

ok, 1.2 mW into 32 ohms for sure... Do u think it makes a difference if I buy a unit with 5mW into 32 ohms or even 16 ohms? sad.gif Are u guys happy with the volume levels of sony MDs?

I have three Sony portables, all of them have 5mW/16ohms and I don't have any reasons to complain.

Guest Anonymous

if it's 1.2mW/32 ohms then it is extremely low, for example, Sharp's DR-7 has 8mW/32 ohms

Guest Anonymous

Thank you for the answers, guys. smile.gif Very nice of you.

So I managed to pick the quietest unit on earth, huh? sad.gif F*** that. I liked it sooooooo much apart from this. OK, I asked for the n910 as a replacement. This has 5mW power. Do u have any experience with that unit? How far does the volume go up? I need something that would definitely hurt my ears when I turn it up to the full. Thank you. smile.gif

Jroy from London

PS. This is my first attempt to buy a minidisc unit. I think these new recorders are much better value than an mp3 player. I am just outta luck. sad.gif

Guest Anonymous

Thank you for the answers, guys. smile.gif Very nice of you.

So I managed to pick the quietest unit on earth, huh? sad.gif F*** that. I liked it sooooooo much apart from this. OK, I asked for the n910 as a replacement. This has 5mW power. Do u have any experience with that unit? How far does the volume go up? I need something that would definitely hurt my ears when I turn it up to the full. Thank you. smile.gif

Jroy from London

PS. This is my first attempt to buy a minidisc unit. I think these new recorders are much better value than an mp3 player. I am just outta luck. sad.gif

MZ-N910 just came out but it looks like MZ-N910 is a sister unit of MZ-N10. I am very happy with output of my MZ-N10.

Guest Anonymous

MZ-N910 just came out but it looks like MZ-N910 is a sister unit of MZ-N10. I am very happy with output of my MZ-N10.

That's cool. I really hope it does not let me down as I like to listen to music at a high volume level and I don't want any distortion from the unit. I mean it is supposed to produce better quality sound than my shitty 50 quid CD-player!

Jroy from London

You like NetMD? If you don't need that, the DR7 can give you lovely clean sound all the way up, except for the bass boost which is faded in the high 20's (of 30) to stop it distorting. So far the highest i've taken my lovely is 15.

Guest Anonymous

Yes, I need net md. It is a very cool thing and it is very quick. If I am in a hurry, but I still want to take a few albums with me that are not on minidisc yet, I can just upload them quickly. smile.gif

Does anybody here have mz-n910?

jroy from London

You know, Sony is probably playing battery life games here by reducing the output power.

That being said, I respect Sony for being Responsible in terms of education regarding hearing loss. Most Sony portables come with a warning about hearing loss, and the AVLS function is a means to help achieve this. Hearing loss is a long term problem, meaning you will feel like you are handling it now, but years later you will experience hearing loss or tinnitus. It is real, it is not repairable. Please be careful.

That ringing noise is the most annoying thing in the world. I think I got it from ear infections when I was little. My sharp has never been above half volume while on headphones, usually about 10-14 of 30. I always found AVLS pointless as where do you measure it from? a recording at 0dB or one at something like -8? Anyway, I found 24/30 [AVLS mark] on a sony [E900] about 10 too high.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys for the comments, again.

Well, I dunno about the hearing loss but I am pretty sure no one will have any when listening to the mz-n710!!! :roll: I just had a hearing check and I have an above average hearing and that after 8 ear infections. smile.gif Yes, 8 very bad ear infections. smile.gif

Anyway, I just want another unit. Hopefully, they will send another one soon, as I am very anxious already. :x That will be the mz-n910. Let's see how it performs. smile.gif

Jroy

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...