Help! Anyone have access to an MDS-E10 Pro Deck??

Rate this topic

norrad

I am looking at purchasing one. I had always believed that Professional products from Sony had menu defeatable SCMS. I have seen this posted numerous times. HOWEVER the manual for the E-10 contains the same SCMS section that all sony md units have. Which is to say that you can't make any second generation copies.

I have an SCMS stripper and two decks at home but it is a bit of pain to use as it strips away EVERYTHING but the audio, meaning track marks have to manually reinserted. Lately I have been doing this: CD digital out to 630, digital out to stripper to 530 so that I end up with md A with SCMS and all track mark TOC and md B w/o SCMS or track marks.

At first I thought, no problem, I will label md A and then clone it's TOC to md B. Well, there is a problem, the SCMS is in the TOC. When I clone A to B and then try to copy B to C (new md) I get the SCMS "CANNOT COPY". If I don't clone A to B and manually track mark B then I can copy to C WITHOUT stripper.

In order to avoid all this mess I was looking at purchasing an MDS-E10 (as the E-12 lacks optical in/out) hoping that a menu defeatable SCMS would just ignore SCMS bits and still let track marks through.

Sorry about the length, but does anyone have access to an MDS-E10 and could confirm if SCMS is defeatable??

Any conclusive help would be deeply appreciated.

norrad

Guest Anonymous

Hi, Thought I'd tag on here. I have a somewhat similar question about an older Sony MDS-S39 deck. I have live MDs recorded onto a portable recorder and want to trasnfer the files digitally to the computer for translation to wav files. Anyone know if this deck will allow that? Do I need other software? If it says digital out is that all i need to know or are there other variables? I'm a newbie to MD but pretty tech oriented otherwise. Any help greatly appreciated. TIA

Hey, maybe I can help. You say you made live recordings, did you use mic in or line in from a soundboard? If so, you will then be able to easily transfer to your computer digitally if you have an optical in on your sound card. Your recording will have no copy protection on it since your original recording was NOT digital.

Hope I was helpful. There are other people on here who know much more about transferring to computer and if you have specific questions you should search through the forums or start a new thread.

norrad

Hi Leon,

Thanks for replying.

The manual I looked at said the same thing. And I thought this was odd as everyone always seem to say that Pro decks have defeatable SCMS. I was hoping to find someone who actually had access to one as perhaps they actually are defeatable but Sony didn't want to include it in the manual.

I thought I saw a post a while ago where in a signature it stated that the member had an MDS-E10 and a TASCAM cd recorder that he used for making copies. I had hoped he would find this.

norrad

• 10 months later...
  • 14 years later...

Slightly incomplete info and only 14 years late to the thread, but hey, I'm back in the "MD game" as it were...

I have just acquired an MDS-E12, UK spec. The Setup menu has a Copy Bit setting. This is not described in the User or Service Manual. It has options: PreRecorded, Inhibit and Permit. I haven't yet determined what each setting does, but it looks interesting for SCMS. It's possible SCMS is only forced on US-spec machines as it was that juristiction that forced the implementation of SCMS in the first place (so I understand).

On 5/11/2018 at 5:19 PM, kgallen said:

Slightly incomplete info and only 14 years late to the thread, but hey, I'm back in the "MD game" as it were...

I have just acquired an MDS-E12, UK spec. The Setup menu has a Copy Bit setting. This is not described in the User or Service Manual. It has options: PreRecorded, Inhibit and Permit. I haven't yet determined what each setting does, but it looks interesting for SCMS. It's possible SCMS is only forced on US-spec machines as it was that juristiction that forced the implementation of SCMS in the first place (so I understand).

"Permit" defeats SCMS, I/O. "Inhibit" enables SCMS. Let me go see if I have the PreRec option on the E10...yes, I do. However, because I too lack the doc (it does exist somewhere out there, as I have seen it), I don't know what it does.

• 2 years later...
On 5/15/2018 at 10:38 PM, kgallen said:

Thanks guys, interesting... I'll have a play with the settings when I get a few moments after our run of shows is finished in a couple of weeks.

Well ok, so it took me 3 years, but hey ho.

Using an MDS-E12, recording a track (or disc) with Copy=Permit, I was able to make 3 generations of digital (TOSLINK) copy of the track using an MDS-JE770 into an MDS-JE530. The point to note here is that I thought the 530 (as a consumer deck) might force the COPY bit on the 1st gen digital copy. It didn't, it still propagates the "copy permit" status which allows further digital copies to be made, even consumer-to-consumer deck as above. Note the 770 and 530 were also connected with Control-A1(II). Unfortunately I couldn't get the titles to copy, even putting the 530 into "CD Sync" with the remote. So I suspect the 770 is not spitting out the MD titles on the Control-A1(II) port. Shame, that's what I really wanted!

15 minutes ago, BearBoy said:

(so you have backups)

Exactly. So far I've been lucky. MD reliability is good (which is one of the reasons I switched back to MD). But I'd like a get-out-of-jail card if I can. With my "new" MDS-E12 and CDP-D12 rack I have in principle a backup machine (2 E12's "on-line" [1xSFX, 1xMusic], plus 1 E12 "backup"). Thus I need a backup disc of both the music and SFX to be able to use should a machine or a disc go down. Probably I'm paranoid! I can do CD-MD dubs with the Tascam MD-CD1 - the material is prepared on a PC, written to CD-R then dubbed to MD. The trouble is the CD-R to MD dub on the MD-CD1 is not fully reliable. I've had dropouts and it's quite common for the titles to get corrupted in the transfer (MD-CD1 firmware is full of titling bugs). So just making another CD-MD dub for a backup is not reliable without listening through the whole disc(s) and spending time correcting the titles on the backup discs (the titles are important as they hold the cue numbers - another reason for using MD. CD-Text is so hit and miss). So it's something I don't always do when I should... As the Sony firmware seems to be much more reliable, an MD-MD dub with titles was my hope...

I do tentatively keep looking at the Sony MDX CD-MD combos. But they hold their price on the bay and do I want yet another machine (don't answer that!). Watch me eat my words...

Makes sense to have plenty of contingency given what you use it for. You don't want an empty silence with the actors looking blankly at each other at a key moment in the show ;-)

Not to encourage yet more kit purchases but maybe you need to have a think about a NetMD compatible machine and the Web MiniDisc app?

* Runs for cover...

11 minutes ago, kgallen said:

I do tentatively keep looking at the Sony MDX CD-MD combos. But they hold their price on the bay and do I want yet another machine (don't answer that!). Watch me eat my words...

Not looked at those for a while but I did have them in my watch list at one point and, like everything else MD related, they seemed to be getting more expensive. They also commanded pretty high prices to start with, presumably they're much rarer than standard MD decks.

4 minutes ago, BearBoy said:

You don't want an empty silence with the actors looking blankly at each other at a key moment in the show ;-)

They don't. They stare blankly at me. And then 150 audience also turn and do the same. Then the kids (in the audience) start screaming because the Fairy isn't singing her pretty song which keeps them at bay. British Panto - a daily roller-coaster of fear and near-panic for the cast and production crew. A delight (hopefully) for the audience! The audience love it when things go wrong. They like to see the fear and panic in your eyes.