Sony Insider Forums
norrad

Help! Anyone have access to an MDS-E10 Pro Deck??

Rate this topic

I am looking at purchasing one. I had always believed that Professional products from Sony had menu defeatable SCMS. I have seen this posted numerous times. HOWEVER the manual for the E-10 contains the same SCMS section that all sony md units have. Which is to say that you can't make any second generation copies.

I have an SCMS stripper and two decks at home but it is a bit of pain to use as it strips away EVERYTHING but the audio, meaning track marks have to manually reinserted. Lately I have been doing this: CD digital out to 630, digital out to stripper to 530 so that I end up with md A with SCMS and all track mark TOC and md B w/o SCMS or track marks.

At first I thought, no problem, I will label md A and then clone it's TOC to md B. Well, there is a problem, the SCMS is in the TOC. When I clone A to B and then try to copy B to C (new md) I get the SCMS "CANNOT COPY". If I don't clone A to B and manually track mark B then I can copy to C WITHOUT stripper.

In order to avoid all this mess I was looking at purchasing an MDS-E10 (as the E-12 lacks optical in/out) hoping that a menu defeatable SCMS would just ignore SCMS bits and still let track marks through.

Sorry about the length, but does anyone have access to an MDS-E10 and could confirm if SCMS is defeatable??

Any conclusive help would be deeply appreciated.

norrad

Guest Anonymous

Hi, Thought I'd tag on here. I have a somewhat similar question about an older Sony MDS-S39 deck. I have live MDs recorded onto a portable recorder and want to trasnfer the files digitally to the computer for translation to wav files. Anyone know if this deck will allow that? Do I need other software? If it says digital out is that all i need to know or are there other variables? I'm a newbie to MD but pretty tech oriented otherwise. Any help greatly appreciated. TIA

Hey, maybe I can help. You say you made live recordings, did you use mic in or line in from a soundboard? If so, you will then be able to easily transfer to your computer digitally if you have an optical in on your sound card. Your recording will have no copy protection on it since your original recording was NOT digital.

Hope I was helpful. There are other people on here who know much more about transferring to computer and if you have specific questions you should search through the forums or start a new thread.

norrad

I downloaded a Japanese E10-E12 catalog a while ago, and it says these decks are SCMS compliant. I guess that means you'll have to look at other solutions.

Hi Leon,

Thanks for replying.

The manual I looked at said the same thing. And I thought this was odd as everyone always seem to say that Pro decks have defeatable SCMS. I was hoping to find someone who actually had access to one as perhaps they actually are defeatable but Sony didn't want to include it in the manual.

I thought I saw a post a while ago where in a signature it stated that the member had an MDS-E10 and a TASCAM cd recorder that he used for making copies. I had hoped he would find this.

norrad

Oh, man, I'm sorry it took me so long to catch this thread...I'm the MDS-E10 user. I have never had an issue making several digital MD copies w/ this deck.

Slightly incomplete info and only 14 years late to the thread, but hey, I'm back in the "MD game" as it were...

I have just acquired an MDS-E12, UK spec. The Setup menu has a Copy Bit setting. This is not described in the User or Service Manual. It has options: PreRecorded, Inhibit and Permit. I haven't yet determined what each setting does, but it looks interesting for SCMS. It's possible SCMS is only forced on US-spec machines as it was that juristiction that forced the implementation of SCMS in the first place (so I understand).

On 5/11/2018 at 5:19 PM, kgallen said:

Slightly incomplete info and only 14 years late to the thread, but hey, I'm back in the "MD game" as it were...

I have just acquired an MDS-E12, UK spec. The Setup menu has a Copy Bit setting. This is not described in the User or Service Manual. It has options: PreRecorded, Inhibit and Permit. I haven't yet determined what each setting does, but it looks interesting for SCMS. It's possible SCMS is only forced on US-spec machines as it was that juristiction that forced the implementation of SCMS in the first place (so I understand).

"Permit" defeats SCMS, I/O. "Inhibit" enables SCMS. Let me go see if I have the PreRec option on the E10...yes, I do. However, because I too lack the doc (it does exist somewhere out there, as I have seen it), I don't know what it does.

It's for making prerecorded (CD) disks. Probably the 4th (impossible) combination.

Thanks guys, interesting... I'll have a play with the settings when I get a few moments after our run of shows is finished in a couple of weeks.