Christopher

State of the forum(s) + changelog

573 posts in this topic

Cleaned up some old modifications that I had deleted long ago, but bits and bobs were still around. Forum seems a bit faster now..

Forum speed is quite tolerable with my recent clean-up, I've noticed. In light of such, I've added a Quick Reply at the end of topics for easier/faster posting ability. :happy:

p.s. Inverted the forum colors and overall font layout. Please tell me what you think..

I have removed the old logo and replaced it with a new one. I also moved the general user config under the new banner, and made the right side emphasis on ads. I also added a google adsense ad. I believe that this is about it for me and this template, time to work on the next..[blue].

The forums now has two caching systems working in unison together; how seriene, eh? Regardless, it has decreased the overall number of queries and the forum seems to be running at a decent rate. I will be working on enabling gzip [which will effectively compress a page like the index, which is 49.3kb, to about 10kb. Delicious.

Did I mention we're now #1 for these two google searches:

minidisc forum

minidisc forums

This is due to some manipulations I made in the formatting. I can definitely tell that we're #1, too..our hit counts have been 2x since this occured a few days ago. I'm glad the board isn't as slow as it was.. :happy:

We had a hit increase of 1.2 million from last month for a total of 2.7 in May. That's excellent.

I will be hiring a moderator or two, and I've already done so. Welcome skytherx to the moderating team. :happy:

I expect a 4-figure salary from doing this :grin: j/k :happy:

I think the 20kB avatar limit isn't enough, I had to reduce it to 100x75 and save it at a quality of 2 using Photoshop in order for it to fit... mad.gif

Try *.png next time, or send me the image in question and I'll probably make it work. Noob :rasp:

Hey 'topher, when do I get to be a mod?

have you not seen my wicked awesome 4 Album SP disc thread?

We'll see. The more activity here the better, methinks. :wink:

heheh, I don't actually think I would be a good MOD. I just want people to think I am cool.

Made a very simple style change on the main index; you may have to refresh to see it. Considering condensing the forums [asthetically, not content wise] instead of having seperate tables for each group of forums..

Made another style change, this time pertaining to the buttons underneath the banner. I'm still contemplating on how I want this to look, so if things change around a bit up there bear with me. I think you guys are used to me tweaking this forum obsessively, anyways.

Tonight, I am also going to integrate a new look to the tables that will have a fade effect. This will effect the post listings, forum listings and others. Hopefully, if all goes well, that will be the final action I take for this template.

I've been working modding a template so we can have another choice for users here, and I'll go ahead and show you a preview:

http://demo.phpbbstyles.com/index.php?style=27

[obviously the server is not of my own, but this is what the new template will look like, with a few modifications of course :happy:]

Do you guys like that style?

hmm....well i noticed there's no Statistics button.. ne who..

i checked it out..white n blue it looks nice..but only prob is that i spend most of my time here at nights...n i got a crt monitor with an antiglare screen...it works ok but constantly viewing the white i'm not sure..cuz sometimes even when i'm on Melyssa Ford's forum it bugs me... overall look is K okay .. love the icons and i hope with this we'll b getting better smilies...n most importantly.. speed Kurisu SPEED.. i mean for the whole day i've been on n off n at first i thought it was my connection but i guess not..it's the forums it was slow...let's hope the new look won't affect the speed.... but keep doing ur thing :cool:

Forums are actually not as bad as they used to be, it's really dependant on the connection and the server that minidisc.org uses - it's pretty outdated and old. We'll be upgrading eventually [hopefully], and one definite way to speed this process is through affiliate sales.

Statistics are at the bottom of the page now, you can't miss it.

btw - the default skin wouldn't be the blue one, it'd still be this one. I think this template is the best for the eyes and it'll be a long time before it's something else as default. You could have the choice of using the blue, as it won't be default. :happy:

kool........

haha tell me about used to b ..that's one of the reasons y i didn't paticipate much earlier on.. always had issues posting still got issues posting in the T-Board LOL can u believe i joined that b4 i joined this n i've probably never posted nething cuz i can't haha @ me ne who...u said i could have the choice of using blue altho it won't b default.. that option would b available through me editing my profile??? u know like with MSN how u could chose the color u want ur profile to appear in..

something like that???

Made another style change, this time pertaining to the buttons underneath the banner.

Would be great, if the login/logout-button reflects the state, if I'm logged in or not as it was with the text-link.

I had considered this, and I may make appropriate changes. For now though, if you are questioning such things..take a look above the login/logout and you'll see a register button. If you see such a button you're logged out. :happy:

*logs out*

*logs back in*

Ahh, yes. Now I see it.

I'm just an old shortsighted dinosaur... :rasp:

I forgot to mention - I added some avatars to the avatar gallery. :happy:

I'll add some more in a little while.

Anyway, I've noticed the forums get pretty slow around 2 - maybe 6ish pm [EST]. We're on a shared server with minidisc.org, and the hit increase these days are higher than ever. It's nicer to surf this forum in the afterhours, methinks..

I cleaned up the code last night by comparing our files to stock phpbb files. In the process, I found some more leftover code from previous modifications that I had forgotten to uninstall. Unforunately whilst doing so, I accidentally deleted a critical line of code relevant to posting. All posting functions were disabled for a good twelve hours, but it is now 100% functional and I apologize for the error.

Please press refresh for the latest graphics changes. It's a very small change but I feel it gives the board a very mature look. This is the FINAL version of this template, and I may even go as far as releasing it to others. It's pretty damn functional. Anyway, Morpheus [the blue theme I mentioned earlier] is less than a week away. :happy:

Anyway, Morpheus [the blue theme I mentioned earlier] is less than a week away.

I like blue.

Dark blue is good.

#000080 is tasty.

---

haikus cannot wrote

Hats off to Chris, your stuff is truly top-notch in my book!

Thank you. :happy:

Just to note, I will be on vacation [getting my wisdom teeth removed] from July 12th till July 19th.

..and my final gift to everyone before I temporarily leave is a faster forum [at the sacrifice of the listing of the users to log in during the last twelve hours]. Enjoy.