Sony MD deck and Bluetooth dongle

Rate this topic

v23

Hi, I'm new. :smile:

I've got a Sony MD Deck (Not sure of the exact model number). If I get a usb bluetooth thingy and plug it into the usb port on the deck would my bluetooth enabled pc be able to talk to the minidisc deck without being wired up through usb?

Probably a stupid question, but I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Well I see this is pretty old but still on page one of this forum, so I'll put in my thoughts here anyway.

This simply won't work. You (original poster) must have a JE780 or a JB980 deck because they are the only two to have a USB connection.

However it won't work because the USB port is a "device" port, i.e. it uses a USB "B" plug which is meant to connect to a USB hub/host like a PC which would use an "A" plug.

USB was designed with the A and B ends for good reason. For making it simple to determine and understand how the host to device connection works.

Connecting a Bluetooth adapter (which is a device itself) to another device would be pointless and also net you nothing at all. It would be the same as connecting the Bluetooth adapter to another Bluetooth adapter or connecting it to a mouse. Furhtermore the Bluetooth adapter would have a male "A" end on it which would definitely NOT plug into a female "B" port. Even if you plugged together some adapters and violated the USB standard in doing so, you'd just get two devices connected to each other which would do nothing. You might as well connect you USB mouse to your USB printer--because it will be the same thing lol.

(Well at least it isn't as bad as trying to connect 2 PCs (hosts)with a USB A to A male/male cable (another violation of USB)--because that would blow the circuits on one or both of the motherboards, lol.)

Unless this is some kind of adapter that makes wired USB devices wireless, it won't work. I've never seen that type of Bluetooth USB adapter. They are always for plugging into the PC (or laptop, PDA, etc.) to let the PC communicate with wireless USB devices, not the other way around. If there does exist such a product, then yes that may work, but not the Bluetooth adapters that are meant to plug into a PC. As mentioned that would be like plugging your mouse into your printer it just doesn't make any sense!