Noise-cancelling phones?

Rate this topic

Resurgere

Anyone have experience with the noise-cancelling phones? I'm taking a plane/train trip soon and wondered if they're what they're cracked up to be. I've used regular earbuds on planes and do find that it's hard to hear over the background noise at reasonable volumes.

How do the noise cancelling type compare with just a regular pair of "cup" type older style headphones, which would at least provide a little more insulation from background noise?

In short, are they worth the $? :wink:

Many people like the noise cancelling phones, but I dont. They manipulate the sound too much and give you a kind of processed sound. I use Etymotic earphones which provide physical isolation rather than noise cancelling. There are several types of phones like these at various prices. The ER-4S models I use are considered expensive, but provide outstanding fidelity. Still, some don't like these either because of the tight fit in the ear canal. For more info, check out www.headphone.com.

Cheap noise-cancelling headphones (under $150) do a disservice to the music, and if you're not in a noisy place you'll hear the hiss of the noise-canceller circuit. You'll get less noise by using 'phones that simply shut out the noise like earplugs. The Etymotics are expensive and the ER-4S need a strong output--ER-4P are are optimized for small portables (like MD).

But I tried the ER-4P and found the bass weak. I'm happier with Shure E3, which I got for $139 at www.bhphoto.com Get a price quote by phone. It's a canalphone like the Etys, which provides great isolation (NYC subway, no problem) and good sound, especially with a little bass boost. Leland's right, you'll have to try them (and there are seven different earplug sizes provided, each of which alters sound and fit!), so check the return policy. Many places give you 30 days to try them.

There are two versions, Shure E3, in gray, and Shure E3c in showoff Ipod white, otherwise identical.

• 4 months later...

The Sennheiser PX-250 are highly recommended and were designed with plane/train transport in mind. They have an active noise cancelling system which sort of tries to "negate" background noise. I have a pair, though frankly they've not had much use.

However, closed, isolating phones like the similar Sennheiser PX-200 and the ear-canal Sony EX-71 and Shure E2c usually give me enough noise isolation, but I'll probably take the PX-250 on my next plane trip. The cancelling system works best on repetitive hum-type noises like aircraft engines and lawn-mowers, and would not cancel out an unexpected noise like a bang. They do provide better isolation than open-type headphones ..

Low power units (eg. Euro-crippled MD players) may have difficulty driving the PX-250, though, be warned, due to their high impedence..

Active noise cancelling has lower sound quality as a trade off. Passive does not.

MD portables will not provide sufficient power to the ER-4S, only the 4Ps. 4S sounds clearer and more detailed than 4Ps, but 4Ps can easily be converted to 4S using an adapter cable (~75 Ohm) but not vice versa.

Using foamies will help the ER-4s in the bass frequencies, but E3cs are a good alternative. Both are okay, depending on your listening tastes, although I do believe the ER-4s isolate better.