Have a Hi-MD question that doesn't need a thread?

Rate this topic

Christopher

except the mz-nh600, the others model have got line in(opical) and the mic in...! :smile:

the capacity?at least 6 times the normal MD you( 145MB vs. 1GB ) or if you use old MD reformatted to 300MB.

i don't understand why do you think to can do less thing with the new sony's MD, and with the usb is faster, or if you want you can use the "old" method....! :grin:

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was into MDs back in the day when I owned a Aiwa AM-F70, but fell off with the introduction of newer models and Net-MD so I'm sorry if this sounds like a newbie question but...

With Sonicstage is it not possible to convert my mp3 library to Hi-MD format at high speed or will I have to ghetto rig it? (create a playlist and record through line-in at real time?)

Thanks

except the mz-nh600, the others model have got line in(opical) and the mic in...!  :smile:  

the capacity?at least 6 times the normal MD you( 145MB vs. 1GB ) or if you use old MD reformatted to 300MB.

i don't understand why do you think to can do less thing with the new sony's MD, and with the usb is faster, or if you want you can use the "old" method....!  :grin:

Nietzsche. You didn't address my key concern though. Will I be able to record via optical all the CDs my friends have ripped for me? I mean, tunage that has been "swiped?"

Thanks.

C

Well I believe I didnt see it so i'll ask, If i record something with a Hi-MD, would it be possible to listen it on a NetMD?

The general answer is NO. HiMD media will be unreadable in NetMD players.

Now, since you CAN use old non-HiMD discs in the new units, you might be able to read them in a NetMD if you DO NOT format them in the HiMD recorder. This is where I am not clear, which leads to another question:

Will HiMD players/recorders write to regular MDs without reformatting them first? We know it will READ them fine, but does it have to reformat them to write on them, or is reformatting (and getting almost 2x the space) just an option?

Ok, you asked...

1) what happened to the 700 model? I see it on the sony site but none of the retailers have it listed. Will it be available, or is it already dead?

2) Will the 600 get power from the USB port while they are connected? The specs show that the 700 and 800 do. This is something that bugs me about my NE410, that tons of power are just sitting there on the USB port but it doesn't use it.

3) How does the "external AA case" work? Where does it connect? Is it via a cable or does it connect directly to the case?

4) Why does the 800/700 only have a 700mAh battery? If it is a standard AA slot, which it must be because it supports AA alkaline cells, why wouldn't they put in a 2000mAh or more cell? Is it a charger limitation? Will the 700/800 be able to charge a higher capacity cell (just slower)? How does the system know if the cell is a rechargeable?

5) Is the radio on the 800 contained solely within the remote? Will the system work without the remote attached? IOW, can you attach the headphones directly to the 800/700 without the remote attached? I think that the remote would be a bit clunky swinging around on the headphone wire.

6) what's the difference between a "digital amp" and a "high definition digital amp" and a regular analog amp?

7) at what bit rates will the hi-md units record? I understand that the 64kbps atrac3plus is comparable with 128kbps mp3. Nice. Can it record LP2 and LP4 to an 80 minute disk that has not been reformated to the hi standard? IOW, if I have a disk that was partially recorded on by my NE410 will I be able to add tracks to it with the new hi-md systems?

8) what are the software changes? has the software been improved to relax the silly copyright protection mechanisms?

Sorry for being so long.

Thanks for your help

Mikemo

:smile: Thanks, KJ. That's illuminating. I was under the impression that there were new restrictions on recording, in the HI_MD units, based upon the voluminous ranting in the Q and A thread. :wacky: It's confusing.

Frankly though, unless I run into a motherlode of dosh, it is unlikely that I will be buying a HI-MD any time soon. LP4, with five hours of music on a disc, is fine for me. Although it would be great to have 40 hours on a disc. I'm a long distance cyclist, and I wouldn't have to carry additional discs. But what if the single disc I take malfunctions? Then I'm screwed.

I think I'll just siphon up some of the MZ/R900s that get dumped on Ebay.

Of course what would be really rocco is a Qualia HI-MD. Yow! Sweeet!

1) what happened to the 700 model? I see it on the sony site but none of the retailers have it listed. Will it be available, or is it already dead?

:ohmy: i hope that it is not died, 'cause it is cheaper than the other and it is a good middle level, not too simple like the mz-nh600 but with a lot of interesting function...

some site have it for pre-order, but very often, U.K. site...

maybe they think that in the U.S. people will not be interested? :wacky:

Ok, you asked...

2) Will the 600 get power from the USB port while they are connected? The specs show that the 700 and 800 do. This is something that bugs me about my NE410, that tons of power are just sitting there on the USB port but it doesn't use it.

6) what's the difference between a "digital amp" and a "high definition digital amp" and a regular analog amp?

I have these same questions. After looking over the specs for the two top-end models specifically, I noticed that on the minidisc.org specs page they list "USB Powered" under the Connectors section. Does this mean the units can be powered/charged over the USB cable?? If so, that would be great to know for when traveling with one of these Hi-MD units... if I knew I could charge it by plugging it into a USB port on my notebook, that would be one less charger to take with me on the road. If anyone can clarify, that would be great to know.

Also, I noticed on the NH1 the LiIon battery is actually removable, unlike the N10. Does anyone expect that Sony or someone else will come out with a higher capacity battery later? Otherwise, I know I can already get a higher capacity gumstick battery for the NH900 model...

It is Europe-only.

I believe all Hi-MD units will have USB-power functionality.

3) How does the "external AA case" work? Where does it connect? Is it via a cable or does it connect directly to the case?

It "screws-in" the bottom of the unit, so essentially it does connect directly to the unit.

4) Why does the 800/700 only have a 700mAh battery? If it is a standard AA slot, which it must be because it supports AA alkaline cells, why wouldn't they put in a 2000mAh or more cell? Is it a charger limitation? Will the 700/800 be able to charge a higher capacity cell (just slower)? How does the system know if the cell is a rechargeable?

The system knows the cell is rechargeable, and we don't need to get into the specifics of that. The reason why Sony included such low mAh batteries was to save costs, but yes, you can effectively use a higher-mAh battery and achieve much better life. Not many people are aware of this..

5) Is the radio on the 800 contained solely within the remote? Will the system work without the remote attached? IOW, can you attach the headphones directly to the 800/700 without the remote attached? I think that the remote would be a bit clunky swinging around on the headphone wire.

Yes, it is contained solely on the remote, and will not work without being connected to the unit.

http://forums.minidisc.org/viewtopic.php?p=19090

7) at what bit rates will the hi-md units record? I understand that the 64kbps atrac3plus is comparable with 128kbps mp3. Nice. Can it record LP2 and LP4 to an 80 minute disk that has not been reformated to the hi standard? IOW, if I have a disk that was partially recorded on by my NE410 will I be able to add tracks to it with the new hi-md systems?

http://minidisc.org/hi-md_faq.html#r_q93 for the bitrates. There are two modes on a Hi-MD unit; Hi-MD and NetMD mode. Obviously each one has it's own limitations - NetMD mode for compatibility and functionality and Hi-MD mode for superior functionality.

8) what are the software changes? has the software been improved to relax the silly copyright protection mechanisms?

There are no limitations on check-in and check-out. Download Sonicstage 2 and give it a shot for yourself; it's available in the NetMD forums.

I also request that next time you search the forums and look over the main site, minidisc.org. Alot of these questions could've been answered that way.

so i take it its not even possible to buy the battery case and use it with the NH1?

Definitely not.

Reason 1: Different voltage: Li-Ion == 3Volts, AA-Cell==1.5Volts.

Reason 2: Different Plug:

From this pic:

http://www.minidisc.org/images/sony_mznh1_swed_big.jpg (The round hole on the right on the bottom)

you see, that the NH900 has a round plug, from this pic:

http://www23.big.or.jp/~jsoga/sony/2004041...GADSC08031.html

you see, that the NH1 has a proprietary plug, which is surely NOT available at your local Radio Shack store.

I suggest, that you buy a second battery with the NH1...

I also request that next time you search the forums and look over the main site, minidisc.org. Alot of these questions could've been answered that way.

Kurisu,

Sorry if that seemed like a lot of questions. I spend close to three hours going through the archives. They answered many of my questions, but not the ones I posted above. Sorry for bothering you.

Kurisu,

Sorry if that seemed like a lot of questions. I spend close to three hours going through the archives. They answered many of my questions, but not the ones I posted above. Sorry for bothering you.

You're not bothering me. :happy: I wouldn't have made this thread otherwise. Welcome to the forums, bud. :grin:

Definitely not.

Reason 1: Different voltage: Li-Ion == 3Volts, AA-Cell==1.5Volts.

Reason 2: Different Plug:

From this pic:

http://www.minidisc.org/images/sony_mznh1_swed_big.jpg (The round hole on the right on the bottom)

you see, that the NH900 has a round plug, from this pic:

http://www23.big.or.jp/~jsoga/sony/2004041...GADSC08031.html

you see, that the NH1 has a proprietary plug, which is surely NOT available at your local Radio Shack store.

I suggest, that you buy a second battery with the NH1...

http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/mi...tableChart.html

check that out.. says that NH1 is AA Battery Compatible via an External Case.. so uh..i'm confused blink.gif

I'm sorry if this query is indiscreet or impertinent, given the forum. But do you mind summarizing what you see as the main advantages of the hi-md over the iRiver iHP 120 ? I'm interested both in playback and recording as well.

The hi-md seems to be more affordable, and I like the removeable media, but the iRiver iHP 120 seems more versatile in terms of formats file types and compression. Maybe you can point me to a thread that discusses this. Thank you.

Hallo,

this is my first post and here is my question:

I'm interessted in the data storage functionality of the HI-MD devices.

I read that you dont need a device driver because it would be

recognized as USB Mass Storage Devices.

Is there a possibility that i could use the Hi-MD recorder with

Linux, too?

THX JD

@Ixeo:

Hmm, neither on MDCenter.nl nor on the Equipment-pages here on Minidisc.org is an external case listed as supplied accessory for the NH1.

Minidisco lists it as included - So, who is right here?

Idea! Order from Minidisco and complain, if the case is missing...

However, the case from the NH900 definitely doesn't fit. See plug...

@pablo:

As discussed earlier, the IHP-120 creates dropouts during recording.

These dropouts are quite noticeable depending on the type of music.

Jazz and classical music are especially sensitive here.

In addition, harddisk-based players are less robust than MD-based recorders. And if it is full, it is full. A MD-recorder is unlimited, just drop in a new disc...

From an earlier thread:

Users reported constant regular dropouts during recording with the IHP-120.

Each time the buffer is dumped to disc, a dropout occurs.

See here , the sixth reply from top.

Another point to consider is the limited filesize.  

According to the manual it is 795MBytes uncompressed and 195MBytes compressed.

So, it is 90 minutes in decent quality...

HiMD handles 1GByte in one go, giving you 94 minutes uncompressed and a whopping 475 minutes compressed.

And compressed means 99% CD-quality.

And that's the reason, why the iriver is not an option for me.

On to the recorders, here is what you gain compared to the smallest in the series, the NH700 (the 600 is a downloader only in the US):

NH800: + Radio. But you cannot record from it. The radio is in the remote.

NH900: + HD-Digital-amp. Which gives a better sound. +Line-mode, which gives a much better sound, when connecting to your home stereo.

NH1: same as the 900 + coolness factor + Time-Date-stamp, so you know, when you made a recording.

@JD24:

A tentative yes. Linux knows USB-Mass-storage devices and can read the FAT-filesystem so it should work in that department.

However, Sonicstage is Windows only. Try it out under Wine, maybe it works...

mikemo wrote:

-somebody answered that the radio will not work without being plugged into the unit. This is true, but I think mikemo was asking if he can just plug the headphones into the MDplayer w/o the radio, which would be swinging around, getting in the way.

I have the MDplayer(non-HiMD) with the radio- and it does get in the way a little- but it has a clip like a pen, so...

Also you do NOT have to have the radio device plugged in to play the MD, but the supplied headphones that it came with have a very short cord- forcing me to keep the radio piece plugged in for length, unless I just use ANY other headphones.

also..

KJ_Palmer replied to me:

Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:09 am        

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's right, felony4th, an SCMS killer or more euphemistically "copy converter", etc. For example one of these babies.  

Every self-respecting MD (or audio CD-R) fanatic should have one  .  

Looks like they've got a sale on too if you're interested...

Kevin

Hey! One of WHAT babies???????

Was there supposed to be a link, or somethin?

I'm a self respecting MD (and audio CD-R) fanatic!

well, I actually HATE compact disks for the simple fact that the all-important information contained 'in the disk' is actually ON THE DISK, exposed to the elements, my oily fingers, and sometimes the fast-approaching floor. ! mad.gif

Beige [the background color] = green [link color]? :happy:

If you want it to be something different, say something in the suggestions forum. :rasp:

btw JD24, WINE made a major advancement the other day and soon future versions will be able to run any windows program without any real error. Exciting times for Linux..

Hi, I'm really leaning toward the 800 (with radio). I'd be buying it in the USA but am going to be living in Europe for a couple of years. Will I have any issues regarding the power supply? Other than a prong adaptor, is there anything else I will need?

If I want to record from the radio onto the MD, what kind of cable do I need to connect to the line-in? Thanks again for all this.

Hi, I'm really leaning toward the 800 (with radio). I'd be buying it in the USA but am going to be living in Europe for a couple of years. Will I have any issues regarding the power supply? Other than a prong adaptor, is there anything else I will need?  

I don't know the specs of the power supply but such devices come often

with a wide range power supply supporting 110V-230V, so this shouldn't

be a problem.

If I want to record from the radio onto the MD, what kind of cable do I need to connect to the line-in? Thanks again for all this.

As far as i know you can't record from the radio built in the remote control.

JD