is it ruined?????

Rate this topic

powderfinger

k heres the thing... got a sharp md-mt180 recorder. now its got a line-in input but no mic input. i just brought a sony ECM-DS70P microphone that i plan on recording live music with. wasnt until after i brought the mic that i realised i wouldnt b able to record straight out of the MD unit. The shop i brought it from dont have experience with pre-amps and battery boxes and pretty much tell me unless i go and buy a MD WITH a mic input my setup will never work. Im relatively new to recording and would like some advice on what gear i will actually need if in fact it is possible... Thanks.

Well, the shop are more or less spot-on. You will either need a battery box/pre-amp (eg. from Sound Professionals) or an MD recorder with a mic-in. A battery box doesn't amplify the incoming sound - it just provides a microphone with enough power for its own needs to prevent distortion. If your concert is very loud this may be enough to get a reasonable recording. A mic-pre-amp/battery box combo would be more ideal, but expensive.

By far better (and fewer wires) would be to get a MD recorder with a mic-in. Any chance of trading your MD-MT180 for a MT190 for example?